PDA

View Full Version : CDT fuel pump repairs ??????

DeeCee
16th November 2006, 20:10
I wonder if it is true.......
http://forums.mg-rover.org/showthread.php?p=1714988&posted=1#post1714988

Roverron
17th November 2006, 14:08
I wonder if it is true.......
http://forums.mg-rover.org/showthread.php?p=1714988&posted=1#post1714988

This guy can diagnose and repair faults without even looking at them!

Apparently he can cure clutch judder even on a 75 with just 4k on the clock, with his flywheel skim. "Done loads" he says.

http://forums.mg-rover.org/showthread.php?t=149240

I'd like to see him open the VDO pump and replace the brushes or repair a worn commutator segment! Notice he doesn't say how he fixes them.

More likley, he'll bypass it and let the under bonnet pump do all the work (until it gives up).

Ron

JohnFol
17th November 2006, 14:46
I was tempted to reply to his comment of "can repair them on the car buddy 50 quid to make it run again".

I'd love to know what the fix is?

Roverron
17th November 2006, 14:55
I was tempted to reply to his comment of "can repair them on the car buddy 50 quid to make it run again".

I'd love to know what the fix is?

"50 quid to make it run again"

Makes him sound like a right cowboy and covers a multitude of potential sins!

All work guaranteed 12months - ??

Ron

Mike
17th November 2006, 14:58
Apparently he can cure clutch judder even on a 75 with just 4k on the clock, with his flywheel skim. "Done loads" he says.

He must be a real artisan. Skimming a Dual Mass flywheel :eek: :eek:

I'm surprised .org haven't given him a health warning or had a 'chat'. It sounds quite dangerous to me. I will let a mod there know, just in case

Mike

JohnFol
17th November 2006, 15:11
Of course we don't know the particular advantages of the "Car Buddy 50" over the previous 49 model. Perhaps it's heavier with a better grip handle

Keith
17th November 2006, 15:59
I think he is just a budding tech looking for some weekend work

Book, covers, and all that, he will probably be here soon so lets not beat him up till he has had the chance to prove himself.

After all I don't have a clue what I am doing either yet I can pull "sealed" rad fans apart and get a good few more miles out of them can't I

Unless you drop the one you are working on that is :(

DeeCee
17th November 2006, 16:11
Ron,

Have you pulled your old tank pump to bits yet?
... would be very interested in your findings

Roverron
17th November 2006, 16:17
Ron,

I've pulled the assembly apart and got the pump out.
The pump itselt could be replaced if we could get hold of them. I couldn't find them on VDOs website when I entered the psrt no. off the pump.

Its not repairable as its held together by the outer can being crimped over at the ends. I haven't prised it apart yet to find the fault, might get time this weekend.

Ron

GreyGhost
17th November 2006, 16:17
I can hear it now.

"Sorry guv' this ones too far gone have to fit a new one, that'll be 50 squids for the diagnosis and", you know the rest.

Or conversely, a few squirts of WD40 and Bobs your mothers brother.

Cynical? Moi? :)

Roverron
17th November 2006, 16:25
I think he is just a budding tech looking for some weekend work

Book, covers, and all that, he will probably be here soon so lets not beat him up till he has had the chance to prove himself.

After all I don't have a clue what I am doing either yet I can pull "sealed" rad fans apart and get a good few more miles out of them can't I

Unless you drop the one you are working on that is :(

Its just the way he writes - he 'sounds' well dodgy!
I didn't say he was dodgy!
I'm all in favour of everyone having a go otherwise you never learn.
But I have a go at my own vehicle first and then explain what I did and how.
Good luck to him if he can do what he claims. I remain sceptical.

Ron

Roverron
17th November 2006, 17:03
Ron,

Photos so far:
Pump, and Pump with base removed (inlet) showing the impellor.

The commutator photo doesn't show it very well, but the dark areas are where it has been worn away completely. 4 of the 8 segments are 50% worn away completely, and the other 4 are part worn away.

Not repairable!
The pump had done 103k miles over 4 years.

draven666's reply on the MGR forum..

"i work for dixon rover in doncaster one of the few last rover site still going, as for fixing the pumps its been a nice little money earner so far so i dont want to give away the infomation, .........."

Ron