PDA

View Full Version : Vanity Mirror lights not working

kvnturner
9th January 2011, 05:51
Hi All.
I have tried to find everything on the site connected to this subject and will of course keep trying but to date have not found a link. The problem is, neither of the visor lights work. I only got the car last week then joined the 75/zt owners club and thanks to this site I have found out where the loom is so will check that today. Assuming that they are connected to the black and purple wires, has anyone got any ideas as to why none of them work? fuse? (which one) bulbs? (all four?)
Thanks in advance for any help I get.
Kev T
:confused:

Devilish
9th January 2011, 07:39
A quick and simple one is to remove the visors to see if they are wired up. If they are put a test meter across the plugs and check both + & -. You can also test the + & - at the plug shown in the pic below, from a post by Reebs. It is found behind the light switch module, you need to remove the cover and the lsm. If there is not 12v or earth at the under dash plug, I personally would just run 12v or an earth to it as mess around. I am fairly sure although not certain they are not independently fused. Pay no attention to the gold and silver cylinder with the green plug if you o not have one, it is to a curtain airbag.

http://i302.photobucket.com/albums/nn105/reebspics/sunvisorloomdriversside.jpg

Mr Edd
9th January 2011, 07:50
This might be a stupid question but is the interior lights working properly.

They can be reset by holding the main button in for 3 - 5 seconds I think?

Dunno if this has any effect on the vanity lights tho?

Edd

kvnturner
9th January 2011, 09:13
I have just checked them, I did read the wiring post so was prepared to start taking the car appart but I did not need to. I had a look by taking the covers off to see a/what was in there b/ to see if there was power getting to them.
The passenger one was dirty contact and the flap did not have the pin that pushes the connector down and the drivers one did not even have bulbs in. i swapped the drivers flap with passenger one and she who must be listened to is very happ now, as for mine, i need another flap (scrappy?).
Thanks for the replies though.
I do have another question, this problem was supposed to have been looked at by the garage I got the car from, although they did not charge me for it they are supposed to have done the Cat too,(it was rattling) they said they have done it (it rattles no more) should I believe them or get it checked by Slowfit or equivilent? :shrug:

I like the reset hint too, i may just do that to see what happens

Devilish
9th January 2011, 10:42
I do have another question, this problem was supposed to have been looked at by the garage I got the car from, although they did not charge me for it they are supposed to have done the Cat too,(it was rattling) they said they have done it (it rattles no more) should I believe them or get it checked by Slowfit or equivilent?

You should ask the garage what the problem was and what they actually did, it is your car.

I can understand a cat being easier to replace than illuminated visors that does not cover bulbs, and the switch could have been broken after sale as far as they may be concerned.

For peace of mind if you cannot do it yourself, you could take it to have the exhaust system checked out, just tell them it was rattling and nothing else, and see what they come up with. After it has been checked, If they do not tell you, ask if anything new has been fitted.

If it was rattling when you bought it, it is just indicative of their poor pre sale checking. Some look at it as cheaper to wait for a customer to report something, than fix something a custome may just do themself, and not bother taking it back.

kvnturner
9th January 2011, 15:45
Thanks Devilish. I will get it checked then go back to the garage should there be a problem. By the way, I spent many a happy hour at Cannock Chase (if it is still there).

suzublu
9th January 2011, 16:54
I do believe i have a spare one somewhere you could swap the flaps over with.I,ll have a look tomorrow. HTH , Ronnie

kvnturner
9th January 2011, 17:27
Ronnie,
PM sent and thanks

Devilish
10th January 2011, 11:24
Ronnie,
PM sent and thanks

A fine geezer is he not what what.

kvnturner
10th January 2011, 17:54
fantastic geeza. thanks all and its sorted now.

W.G. Grace
10th January 2011, 17:58
Just a quick query related to this:

Is it possible to fit illuminated visors to a car which doesn't have them as standard? I did remove the visor to see if there was a wiring connector, but couldn't find one.
Has anybody else carried out this mod?

Thanks!
Nick :)

kvnturner
10th January 2011, 18:04
it seems that the wiring for illuminated mirrors were fitted even if not used. The pics on this thread show you what they look like and they seem to be either side low down. there is a thread that shows you where they are and how to fit. the wiring is there you just need to find it and thread it.
PM me if you have a problem as I know where they are just not the words for the parts if that made sence,,lol

kvnturner
10th January 2011, 18:11
found it
http://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=61165
try here
kev t

W.G. Grace
10th January 2011, 20:03
Many thanks for the link Kev, I will definitely be going for this mod!

kvnturner
10th January 2011, 20:46
you are most welcome

Mike Noc
11th January 2011, 18:26
Hi All.
I have tried to find everything on the site connected to this subject and will of course keep trying but to date have not found a link. The problem is, neither of the visor lights work. I only got the car last week then joined the 75/zt owners club and thanks to this site I have found out where the loom is so will check that today. Assuming that they are connected to the black and purple wires, has anyone got any ideas as to why none of them work? fuse? (which one) bulbs? (all four?)
Thanks in advance for any help I get.
Kev T
:confused:

Glad you are sorted but if anyone else has this fault check to see whether the glovebox light comes on. If not then the problem could be with the Body Control Unit which supplies power to the glovebox and both visors.

On some cars the unit doesn't power up the lights intermittently. Haven't found a cure for it. Has anyone else?

Mike