PDA

View Full Version : Headlamp Condensation

Kai Herb
9th January 2011, 08:34
I am suffering with water ingress into the o/s headlamp on my Ztt.

I have Xenons fitted and before i take it off to dry out thought i would ask if anybody else has suffered similar problems.Is there a weak spot perhaps ?

One mitigating factor is that there has been an awful lot of surface water around here over the last week or so and it may be just finding its way in.

Cheers

Steve

rossocorsa
9th January 2011, 11:09
typical in 'modern' cars it'll probably clear up when the weather gets better unless it is really bad I wouldn't worry about it too much

chrissyboy
9th January 2011, 11:48
the cover on the back might not be on properly ,mine did that untill i refitted the covers,although mine are not the xenons it would amount to the same ..failing that there may be a tiny crack somewhere ..

Greeners
9th January 2011, 15:15
" They all do that sir "

All my ZT's have done it as does my motorbike......nothing to worry about...

Kai Herb
9th January 2011, 16:19
Ok , many thanks guys i guess i will have to live with it until it warms / dries up :)

MangoMan
9th January 2011, 17:21
" They all do that sir "

All my ZT's have done it as does my motorbike......nothing to worry about...

Ok, not sure about ZT's, but none of the cars I've had have done that unless there is a crack in the lens, delamination of the lens and backing, or the rubber cover, on the back, is loose or not sealing properly..... ;)

Cheers, Bill.

MN190
9th January 2011, 17:27
To dry out remove the back rubber and have the lights on.
Best done during the day and when not rainning.
Then refit the cover before the light is allowed to cool completely or wait for the warmer weather. It is a mot failure point

pab
9th January 2011, 18:01
warm engine bay and cold ambient temperatures will cause condensation,i also suffer this problem.remove the rubber bulb replacement bung from the unit for a day during dry weather conditions.

in the worse case scenario you could have microporous holes in the lens due to stone chips etc.

mantianak
9th January 2011, 18:03
Only had this on my old laguna which had a crack in it. Never had this problem with my 75 or ZT. If it were me I'd sort it out before things go green in there.

pab
9th January 2011, 18:10
these headlight units are vented underneath,don't quote me on this..but i would stick to the conclusion that it has something to do with the outside weather conditions.

MN190
9th January 2011, 18:22
:iagree::wot:
Have had it on my Xenons a couple of times a few years apart.
I put it down to the fact the rubber covers don't come of much as the burners don't get replaced as often as the bulbs on other types.

3disco
9th January 2011, 18:34
I am suffering with water ingress into the o/s headlamp on my Ztt.

I have Xenons fitted and before i take it off to dry out thought i would ask if anybody else has suffered similar problems.Is there a weak spot perhaps ?

One mitigating factor is that there has been an awful lot of surface water around here over the last week or so and it may be just finding its way in.

Cheers

Steve
It may well be a poor seal between the plastic lens and the rear housing I have just removed the lens on one and had it resealed although great care has to be taken.:}