PDA

View Full Version : Front fuel pump on my cdti continues to make noise unless i disconect the battery?

bensurf
9th January 2011, 12:48
Having a few problems with my cdti.

The front fuel pump continues to make noise long after the ignition is turned off. on one occasion it ran the battery completely down.
I am now gettion around the problem by disconnection the battery when i switch off the enging.
Any ideas what this problem could be?
.... also i think my rear fuel pump has stopped working because i ran out of diesel when the car still had 60 miles or so in the tank.
has this got something to do with the problem?

Any help much appreciated.

Kind regards. Ben

suffolk boy
9th January 2011, 13:49
hi buy the sounds of it the soleniod on the pump is faulty and your intank pump has failed this acts as a transfer pump shifting fuel over the hump in the middle of the tank.when this happens as you have found when low on fuel the car is hard to start also this puts extra load on the under bonnet pump which soon packs up as well.the cheapest and best option is to change both pumps i used mkon pumps i cannot recomend them both pumps arond the £150 mark delivered www mkon.co.uk good luck:)

flyer_phil
9th January 2011, 14:36
Hi

I've had this and in my case it was the fuel pump relay located on the passenger compartment fuse box, which was sticking closed.

My fuel pump was faulty. They can pump diesel up the wiring loom via the connector into the fuse box. Fuse box gets saturated with diesel and causes the relays to be sticky.

Check your fuse box - undo the two screws under the glove box and the panel will drop down then with torch have a feel around your fuse box. If you have diesel in there, you can try swapping one of the relays round - the black ones with the green stripe are identical.

Even if you haven't any diesel in there its worth just swapping one of the relays to see if it makes a difference. With the pump running, pull one of the relays out to identify which one it is (pump will stop), then swap it. If it fixes the problem go and buy a new relay.

There are plenty of relays available on ebay.

Mike Noc
11th January 2011, 21:50
hi buy the sounds of it the soleniod on the pump is faulty and your intank pump has failed this acts as a transfer pump shifting fuel over the hump in the middle of the tank.when this happens as you have found when low on fuel the car is hard to start also this puts extra load on the under bonnet pump which soon packs up as well.the cheapest and best option is to change both pumps i used mkon pumps i cannot recomend them both pumps arond the £150 mark delivered www mkon.co.uk good luck:)

The secondary fuel pump may have a bit more to do when the intank pump packs up but they can last for months. My intank pump failed and by the time I sorted a reasonably priced replacement and fitted it about 8 months had passed. Secondary pump was still working fine and had covered about 180,000 miles.

Just had to make sure the tank never went below a quarter full.

Mike

T-Cut
11th January 2011, 22:12
The front fuel pump continues to make noise long after the ignition is turned off. on one occasion it ran the battery completely down.

I'd guess it may start running again when the battery's reconnected. Obviously it's receiving power directly from the battery when it should be turned off. Logically, the pump relay is stuck in the on position and it should be a simple fix. Replace the relay.

TC