PDA

View Full Version : Poll - Radio Reception Issues On Double Din

MARKUK
10th January 2011, 19:49
As it would appear from the radio reception thread and from messages I have been sent over the past few weeks it would seem that some of us are still having similar reception issues with our DD's...

So let's get the issues polled and see who is having issues and what they are...

HarryM1BYT
10th January 2011, 20:14
The required answers don't allow for any middle ground, just yes and no. I'm somewhere between a straight yes or no. Could they possibly be made 0 to 5 or 0 to 10? 0 = no issues.

MARKUK
10th January 2011, 20:35
Hi Harry,

I can't see how to edit the poll anywhere so if you do have issues you need to say Yes to whichever bit you have issues with..

Either that or give details on what issues you have in a post

Cheers

HarryM1BYT
10th January 2011, 20:46
Could you delete this one and start a fresh one perhaps?

MARKUK
10th January 2011, 20:53
Harry,

What are your issues then ?...

I can't delete it, it would have to be a mod

GT Courier
10th January 2011, 20:56
I take it this is nothing to do with standard head units?

Mine seems all okay, but the Traffic Master thing is a bit hit and miss?

MARKUK
10th January 2011, 21:14
I take it this is nothing to do with standard head units?

Mine seems all okay, but the Traffic Master thing is a bit hit and miss?

Hi,

This is to do with DD units, however, please let us know if you are experiencing reception issues with OEM kit in a post as it would be good to see if the issues are not just confined to the DD units.

Cheers

Reebs
10th January 2011, 21:16
Mark, I have added Double Din to your thread title to clarify for members.

If you would like me to delete the poll so you can start again just let me know.

Simondi
10th January 2011, 21:18
I have Sean's DD unit fitted.
FM reception is varied, AM is poor.
TMC currently is non existent as the aerial supplied does nothing!
I do not have a splitter fitted, yet.

MARKUK
10th January 2011, 21:25
Mark, I have added Double Din to your thread title to clarify for members.

If you would like me to delete the poll so you can start again just let me know.

Thanks mate,

Not sure if anything will be better by starting again...there's either issues or not in the end....

However, if the members feel we could do it better then I have no problem starting again...

At the end of the day, this is to try and officially collate the issues that people have said they have...

Mark

MARKUK
10th January 2011, 21:26

Can you put those into the poll then Simondi if you haven't already !...

Cheers

Simondi
10th January 2011, 21:30
Can you put those into the poll then Simondi if you haven't already !...

Cheers

;) have done so

HarryM1BYT
10th January 2011, 21:56
Harry,

What are your issues then ?...

Home made Y splitter used, with no attempt to impedance match - though I suspect nor will the commercial ones use any matching. Running on the later none-diversity type rear window antenna.

FM reception is 7/10 - my 2 YO as standard VW is also about 7/10 :confused:

AM reception is now 2/10 - not really listenable to, but at least it receives some stations on the move now.

TMC - not really kept an eye on it, but it seems OK.

RDS reception seems OK, if the FM reception is OK, the RDS announces the station. RDS's finding of and switching to new frequencies seems not to be seamless. My previous Ford premium system was completely seamless and reception was extremely good - you had to watch the frequency display to be aware that it had actually swapped transmitters.

Audio output quality....

Original Hi-line with working HK amp 6/10

DD without the HK 7/10

DD now with the HK amp working 9.5/10

Note- I was supposed to have checked that my antenna amp definately had its 12v feed, with a digital meter, when I first installed the DD. It checked out as having one, but I now suspect what my meter was picking up was a spurious voltage. Since sorting out the feeds to my HK amp last weekend - (the purple/yellow also feeds the antenna amp) my FM and particularly AM reception has improved by a good margin.

MARKUK
10th January 2011, 22:01
Thanks for that Harry

HarryM1BYT
10th January 2011, 22:05

You could confirm the TMC is working by swapping the built-in antenna over to it. The supplied long wire antenna I agree, is totally useless.

Swordy
11th January 2011, 20:22
Hi Harry,
Are you running a complete HK system off the DD?
Or the amp and subwoofer?
I don't have the TMC unit but find the RDS and FM reception quite weak even in underpasses let alone tunnels.

Cheers
Paul

HarryM1BYT
11th January 2011, 21:30
Hi Harry,
Are you running a complete HK system off the DD?
Or the amp and subwoofer?
I don't have the TMC unit but find the RDS and FM reception quite weak even in underpasses let alone tunnels.

Cheers
Paul

I at last managed to get it sorted out last weekend, tested and working very nicely thank you :}

I had the full Hi-line kit in, with HK speakers and HK amp, plus HK subs. The HK amp and subs stopped working completely, when I fitted the DD. Others suggested it should just plug in and work, but tracing out the wiring - there was just no way that it possibly could continue to work on my car. I documented it with an 'How to' in the ICE forum.

Mr Edd
11th January 2011, 23:10
It sometimes looses FM station and goes off searching on its own. Even in areas where reception is normally been good. When receiving okay sounds very good with occasionally a slight hiss.

AM is a bit whistley at times and looses signal when on long journeys as it runs out of signal.

Other than that its fantastic.

Edd

MARKUK
16th January 2011, 19:45
19 People have voted and it's pretty clear that there are issues accross the board, from FM & AM to All of the above in a couple of cases...

I am awaiting delivery of the companants to make up the new variant 12v Aerial Amp..

As soon as I have put it together and given it a good test I will post the results...

madone
16th January 2011, 22:25
Cant believe only 19 have voted as I thought a lot more had bought the DD. The results are quite clear and having spoken to Sean help from China is a no no so it appears we are going to have to solve the issue with the help of current members ie. MARKUK or others :bowdown:

I have become a 5 live expert these last few months :mad:

MARKUK
16th January 2011, 22:30
Cant believe only 19 have voted as I thought a lot more had bought the DD. The results are quite clear and having spoken to Sean help from China is a no no so it appears we are going to have to solve the issue with the help of current members ie. MARKUK or others :bowdown:

I have become a 5 live expert these last few months :mad:

Yes, I find it strange also...but then there may be other things afoot...

Will just have to see what happens once I have all the parts assembled !...

I have ordered the amp module, cable and aerial extension cable ( which I will cut in half and use both ends for in / out.. )

Once I have the amp module, I will nip down to Maplins and find a suitably sized project box for it to fit into...as small as possible !..

I am back up to Scotland in a couple of weeks so it would be a good test !..

Watch this space...

MARKUK
21st January 2011, 11:08
24 votes now and only 4 out of those say they have no issues at all...

I now have all the bits I need to start building the new Radio Signal Amp..

Will probably build it at the weekend and then test for a while before I can confirm if it works well or not...

Will post pics and progress soon !..

Mark

HarryM1BYT
21st January 2011, 14:44
Thanks Mark, looking forward to the out come.

madone
21st January 2011, 15:00
Cheers Mark lets hope it works :bowdown:

MARKUK
21st January 2011, 15:46
All,

27 Votes now with only 5 votes for no issues at all !...also intersting to see that there are more people without a splitter that with !..but then, that could account for the 5 votes with no issues !

I decided to just crack on and build the amp this afternoon...

My soldering skills are OK...but could do with a smaller tipped soldering iron !..

Not 100% convinced I have the capicitors orientated the correct way as there was nothing in the kit to indicate if they needed to go in a specific way...time will tell !

See below ....

http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y223/yorkie_porkie/Rover%2075%20Stuff/FM_AM%20Amp/Pic2.jpg

http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y223/yorkie_porkie/Rover%2075%20Stuff/FM_AM%20Amp/Pic3.jpg

http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y223/yorkie_porkie/Rover%2075%20Stuff/FM_AM%20Amp/Pic1.jpg

Total cost...just under £20...+ 1hr 1/2 in total to put together and sort the box etc..

With any luck I will be able to try it tomorrow...

Will let you know how I get on !!!

VVC-Geeza
21st January 2011, 16:13
Good luck with this.I wouldn't personally order a DD until the radio reception/TMC issues have been satisfactorily and permanently resolved.

CDTi
21st January 2011, 16:49
Well done Mark.

Those capacitors are ceramic and are non-polarised.

Hope it fixes the radio problem for you.

MARKUK
21st January 2011, 16:52
Good luck with this.I wouldn't personally order a DD until the radio reception/TMC issues have been satisfactorily and permanently resolved.

Thanks for that...

Note :

I dont want ANYONE not to buy due to my posts !

Thats your own decision !!

I am simply passing on the details for those who are interested thats all !

VVC-Geeza
21st January 2011, 18:43
Thanks for that...

Note :

I dont want ANYONE not to buy due to my posts !

Thats your own decision !!

I am simply passing on the details for those who are interested thats all !

I too would like to make it clear that i was speaking purely for myself regarding the purchase of a DD.

HarryM1BYT
21st January 2011, 21:55
All,

Not 100% convinced I have the capicitors orientated the correct way as there was nothing in the kit to indicate if they needed to go in a specific way...time will tell !

Those caps are ceramic, so it doesn't matter which way they go in. Electrolytics and tantalium caps do have to be fitted the correct way.

HarryM1BYT
21st January 2011, 22:09

Reception (or at least my reception) is really not that bad, I just don't think it is as good as it ought to be. My AM is pretty unusable, but I have not used AM for many years in a car. Whether the problems are due to the radio, or the cars antenna system has not yet been decided, but we'll get there in the end.

Note to Mark:-

If you are thinking along the lines of reproducing these for the masses, you can get those components for pence. There is nothing critical about the layout of the PCB, so maybe you could do without it and assemble 'dead bug' style? Just solder the correct component leads together and pot it in epoxy.

MARKUK
21st January 2011, 23:28
Harry,

Wasn't thinking about a mass production , but if someone wanted one I would put it together..

If enough people wanted them then maybe we can look at something along the lines you are suggesting...

But first things first..need to see if it works !!

VVC-Geeza
22nd January 2011, 12:29
Reception (or at least my reception) is really not that bad, I just don't think it is as good as it ought to be. My AM is pretty unusable, but I have not used AM for many years in a car. Whether the problems are due to the radio, or the cars antenna system has not yet been decided, but we'll get there in the end.

Harry,it seems hit and miss to me whether the radio reception/TMC is of an acceptable standard on the current batch of DD's.I use both FM and AM,and with my present headset it works perfectly.I fully intend to order from Sean at some point this year but not untill i can be sure the new DD offers at least the same or better quality radio reception than that i already have.I also need fully functioning TMC to aid the navigation.

MARKUK
22nd January 2011, 18:50
OK guys,

I installed the unit today and it WORKS !...

Had ZERO reception on AM with it OFF and then 5 or 6 stations with it turned ON...Still not what I would call great reception but it wasn't bad at all at least for AM.

Similar for FM, however I will need to test next week over the M62 and then again in Scotland to be 100% sure of the FM difference but the signs are good...

As soon as I can get my addy verified at You Tube I will upload the vids so you can see for yourselves... !!!

Mark

(http://s6.photobucket.com/albums/y223/yorkie_porkie/Rover%2075%20Stuff/FM_AM%20Amp/?action=view&current=IMG_0043.mp4)

madone
22nd January 2011, 20:00
Great news Mark for us all, well done. Can I have one please :drool4:

MARKUK
22nd January 2011, 20:17
OK guys,

As soon as I can get my addy verified at You Tube I will upload the vids so you can see for yourselves... !!!

Mark

(http://s6.photobucket.com/albums/y223/yorkie_porkie/Rover%2075%20Stuff/FM_AM%20Amp/?action=view&current=IMG_0043.mp4)

Video Links...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LDQTSDdZyK8

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CYB1vsQCGp8

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wsDY7iOD5D8

Was on 107.1 and not 107.2 ! :)

Comments welcome !!

madone
22nd January 2011, 20:26
Looks very promising Mark lets hope it is all ok when you fully test it.

MARKUK
22nd January 2011, 20:34
Great news Mark for us all, well done. Can I have one please :drool4:

Lets wait until I have tested more on the M62 & up in Scotland / NE of England madone and then I will make it available for people should the wish me to make one for them...

At the moment they come it at just under £18, buying in bulk I can get that down to about £13 for the kit or £15 with the amp pre assembled..
( Which would cut down on the timescales ! )

Add on a couple of quid postage and can get them in for say £18.00

I don't mind putting them together free of charge but if you wanted to make it £20 per unit I would be fine with that..

There's always the suggested option of sourcing the parts and just soldering together and sticking into epoxy but I would be happier using the proper boards..

1st things 1st..let me give this a proper test over the next couple of weeks and then see what's what ...

Cheers

HarryM1BYT
22nd January 2011, 20:39
Hi Mark,

Your experiment compared the pre-amp unpowered versus powered, with it in the antenna feed in both instances. In the antenna feed, but unpowered there is bound to be some signal loss compared to direct feed.

Despite this, your AM sounded very much better than mine, which suffers a kind of repetitive digital rasping noise.

VVC-Geeza
22nd January 2011, 20:44
Well done Mark,looking and sounding good.

Hope the mobile testing gos well.:)

MARKUK
22nd January 2011, 20:59
Hi Mark,

Your experiment compared the pre-amp unpowered versus powered, with it in the antenna feed in both instances. In the antenna feed, but unpowered there is bound to be some signal loss compared to direct feed.

Despite this, your AM sounded very much better than mine, which suffers a kind of repetitive digital rasping noise.

Hi Harry,

This is true, however there was no noticeable signal loss in the FM test, with the signal passing through the unit unpowered, which still indicates that it works in my opinion and I had zero AM before I started.

Am certainly no expert though !!!

Teflon
22nd January 2011, 21:12
Well I'm impressed for starters! I would certainly be interested in getting a unit from you, and would be happy to pay £20-£25 to cover costs etc.

I think you could be in for a busy time. :D

Cliff

MARKUK
22nd January 2011, 21:38
Well I'm impressed for starters! I would certainly be interested in getting a unit from you, and would be happy to pay £20-£25 to cover costs etc.

I think you could be in for a busy time. :D

Cliff

Thanks for that Cliff...

I just hope it improves the issues over the M62 corridor and the NE & Scotland

Watch this space !

baconbuttyman
23rd January 2011, 09:11
Well done mark. Have been following this thread with great interest. I would like one when ready please. These are certainly worth a tag of £30 pending final testing
PM sent

MARKUK
23rd January 2011, 09:28
Well testing starts again tomorrow with my journey over the M62 into Manchester....I have had FM & TMC issues in this area and will be testing with Igo 8 & Primo for the TMC.

Radioguy
23rd January 2011, 11:46
Lets wait until I have tested more on the M62 & up in Scotland / NE of England madone and then I will make it available for people should the wish me to make one for them...

At the moment they come it at just under £18, buying in bulk I can get that down to about £13 for the kit or £15 with the amp pre assembled..
( Which would cut down on the timescales ! )

Add on a couple of quid postage and can get them in for say £18.00

I don't mind putting them together free of charge but if you wanted to make it £20 per unit I would be fine with that..

There's always the suggested option of sourcing the parts and just soldering together and sticking into epoxy but I would be happier using the proper boards..

1st things 1st..let me give this a proper test over the next couple of weeks and then see what's what ...

Cheers

Hi Mark and others
I stayed quiet and followed this with obvious GREAT interest.

I Will supply these to those that Need them.
You guys should not be buying items that make a unit work the way it was supposed to in the first place.

Anyone wanting one, let ME Know and I will pay Mark and have it shipped direct to you when he is ready

Mark, Thank you, What else can I say.

I DO Have the factory addressing this issue as we discussed and this week will receive a test unit.

Sean/ RadioGuy

madone
23rd January 2011, 11:57
Hi Sean

Thanks for the offer. If after Mark has fully tested it and is proven to work ok, I most certainly would like one.

Graham

MARKUK
23rd January 2011, 12:51
Hi Mark and others
I stayed quiet and followed this with obvious GREAT interest.

I Will supply these to those that Need them.
You guys should not be buying items that make a unit work the way it was supposed to in the first place.

Anyone wanting one, let ME Know and I will pay Mark and have it shipped direct to you when he is ready

Mark, Thank you, What else can I say.

I DO Have the factory addressing this issue as we discussed and this week will receive a test unit.

Sean/ RadioGuy

Sean,

That is very kind of you to offer to pay for these for those who have the issues.

As I have mentioned, I have further testing to complete before I can be sure that it has solved MY issues.

I do think that we should maybe supply a couple of people with one for more testing before we can be sure it works 100% then we can offer for everyone that has the reception issues.

What I don't want to happen is it to work for me and not for others !

Might I suggest Teflon in the South and Madone in the North as testers ?..

Guys, let me know if you agree and Sean and I can sort it out.

I would also just like to clarify that this poll has never been in anyway to detur people from buying the new batch of DD's, simply to find out who has the issues and find a way to solve them in the best way possible.

Thanks

madone
23rd January 2011, 13:13
Mark

More than happy to test a one when you are ready.

Teflon
23rd January 2011, 13:16
Hi Mark,

I would be more than happy to test one of your units. For me, adding the splitter renders FM almost unusable (I am currently using the unit without the TMC plugged in), so it should be quiite a thorough test!

Sean,

Very many thanks - you offer really is very much appreciated. Lets all hope that Marks solution is the answer we have been waiting for.

Regards,

Cliff

HarryM1BYT
23rd January 2011, 13:27
Add me to the list to receive one too, once they are an 'approved fix'.

I remain puzzled as to why I seem to be the only one hearing this regular digital rasping type noise - on AM particularly (it affects all of the few channels I can hear), but it is also just about audible on weak FM stations.

MARKUK
23rd January 2011, 13:30
Ok guys, testers sorted !!!

Will carry on with my tests and talk to Sean about sorting getting some test units built for you.

Sean, let me know if you are OK with my suggestion and we can organise it between us.

MARKUK
23rd January 2011, 13:35
Add me to the list to receive one too, once they are an 'approved fix'.

I remain puzzled as to why I seem to be the only one hearing this regular digital rasping type noise - on AM particularly (it affects all of the few channels I can hear), but it is also just about audible on weak FM stations.

No worries Harry.

Once we have had a couple of weeks testing with myself and Teflon / Madone we can then get a list together of who needs one..and then see how long it will take me to build them !...

Out of the 29 people that voted, quite a few had issues, so I would have thought that this would be the list ! ( Inc me of course )

Radioguy
23rd January 2011, 13:57
Hi Mark

What do you need? Send me an email and Ill get it to you ! Whenever you are comfortable. Lets ALL hope that tis put this to rest !
Sean

MARKUK
23rd January 2011, 14:20
Hi Sean,

Email sent !..

Cheers

MARKUK
23rd January 2011, 16:54
Ok Guys,

Sean is funding two units so I can build them and send out to Teflon & Madone to test. ( The test area will cover the South of England & North, North East & North West of England + Scotland up to Glasgow )

This means that there will be three units in the field to allow a proper period of testing to ensure that this solution does in fact cure the problem.

After the testing data has been collected, and as long is it does cure the problem for reception issues for myself & Teflon / Madone then I think we would be in a position to collate who it is that requires one and we can take it from there.

Will keep you posted.

MARKUK
24th January 2011, 19:11
I have been over the M62 today and the results were pretty OK..

A little bit of crackle but seemed to "zone in" on the Radio 2 signal better than before..

TMC seemed to be found quicker also but that could be my imagination ! lol..

Anyway, will continue this week and then I have a trip up to Scotland next week which will be more of a test as I have severe issues up there normally..

Watch this space !!

HarryM1BYT
24th January 2011, 19:39
Watch this space !!

Watching with great interest :}

Oh, could we have some feedback on AM reception too please?

MARKUK
24th January 2011, 20:31
Watching with great interest :}

Oh, could we have some feedback on AM reception too please?

Hi Harry,

AM reception better than before !...

Before no reception, now I can get a lock on at least 4 stations, although I don't really listen to the AM band.

I tested this on the M62 also and will do the same next week on the way to Scotland in whilst I am there also.

This may not be a complete cure all but it might well make it 60 - 70% better than without. Only time and testing will either prove or disprove this.

MARKUK
28th January 2011, 22:28
Hi Guys,

Well I had the final bits I needed delivered this morning so I have built the two units to go out for testing..

Madone & Teflon should have them on Monday, as long as they pass my test in the morning..I just want to make sure they are working for me before I send them out..

I have redesigned slightly..made the box a tad smaller so it will fit better behind the unit with everything else that we all have stuffed in !..

I am also going to try and use this to boost just the TMC side of things instead of using the splitter, use the "normal" aerial feed into the radio and then the amp unit with the "wire" that was sent out with the unit, probably all hidden in the right hand front pillar to see if that also makes a difference..

I suggest that Madone & Teflon do the same and then we can compare notes..

Watch this space guys !!

HarryM1BYT
29th January 2011, 08:29
Hi Guys,

I am also going to try and use this to boost just the TMC side of things instead of using the splitter, use the "normal" aerial feed into the radio and then the amp unit with the "wire" that was sent out with the unit, probably all hidden in the right hand front pillar to see if that also makes a difference..

Watch this space guys !!

Thanks for the update Mark....

I was actually wondering whether your tests would be covering units fitted with the TMC receiver.

FYI my TMC has always worked by far the best, via the OEM antenna using the Y splitter. I never tested the TMC using a direct feed from the OEM antenna.

The TMC using the long wire either in the car, or strung outside the car was almost entirely useless - I'm in a good reception area and even stationary it would struggle to get any TMC reception - which was why I ended up making a Y splitter. So I will be really surprised if your inline amp helps at all with the supplied long wire antenna.

If and when this inline amp is approved, I would suggest the obvious place to locate it in an ex-HiLine installation - will be in the wheel well, at the joint between the 6m extension and the original feed down from the rear window antenna. Located there, it will be amplifiying the 'cleanest' signal possible.

Teflon
29th January 2011, 10:32

Will do. I shall ambush the postie on Monday! :D

Cliff

MARKUK
29th January 2011, 11:32
Guys,

Got them in the post after testing them on my DD this morning..
Sent them 1st Class.

I have not been able so far to find the TMC "wire" that we were sent but an still looking in the depths of my garage !..

Interesting to note however, that with the aerial just in the Radio socket I was able to get 6 clear channels in AM & FM was just as good as it should be ( just in my local area ) so the splitter is one of the causes here, but we have no choice if we are to use Radio and TMC at the moment..

I will update again once I have been able to find the wire and see what happens..

madone
29th January 2011, 11:40
Well done Mark. I too cant find my TMC wire as I believe I threw it away as it was useless but will keep looking. Hope to get mine fitted on Tuesday afternoon, cant wait to try it :drool4:

MARKUK
29th January 2011, 15:56
Still couldn't find mine so I made up a little aerial with on from a DVB TV that I have...

But in the process I managed to muck up my input lead on my Amp..unit !

So I will have to get a new lead now :(

BUT..it got me thinking....

At the moment I am inputting into the amp and then outputting from that into the splitter...which must cause some signal degradation,
so I am going to modify my unit so that it has one input and two outputs, therefore negating the need for the splitter...

This may improve on the signal..

Will try and do that next week as I am in Scotland this week

HarryM1BYT
29th January 2011, 16:05
Still couldn't find mine so I made up a little aerial with on from a DVB TV that I have...

But in the process I managed to muck up my input lead on my Amp..unit !

So I will have to get a new lead now :(

BUT..it got me thinking....

At the moment I am inputting into the amp and then outputting from that into the splitter...which must cause some signal degradation,
so I am going to modify my unit so that it has one input and two outputs, therefore negating the need for the splitter...

This may improve on the signal..

Will try and do that next week as I am in Scotland this week

If you are going to do that, you may as well impedence match the two outputs - just takes two extra resistors to achieve it.

MARKUK
29th January 2011, 16:19
If you are going to do that, you may as well impedence match the two outputs - just takes two extra resistors to achieve it.

Harry,

I think you are better than that than me !...

PM me with what your thinking !

HarryM1BYT
29th January 2011, 18:02
Car antennas are 75 Ohm - they expect an impedance from the load (radio) of that value. An antenna amp should be designed for the same impedance of 75 Ohm. So it needs to be presented with an impedance of that value, but we are trying to put two 75Ohm loads in parallel on it - which means it will not be properly matched.

Now having said all that, I don't have a clue how to calculate it, but suspect a 150 Ohm resistor in series with each inner core will be near enough. So instead of taking the coax inner straight to the output of the amp, just plonk a 150 Ohm resistor in line with it.

The outer screen just goes straight to the ground as before. Thus-

radio_____150___
TMC_____150___I - Amp output

MARKUK
29th January 2011, 20:15
Cheers for that Harry, might give that a go

The question is, what wattage ?.. Maybe 0.25w 150 ohm ..?

carl
31st January 2011, 11:41
power (wattage) of the resistor woulddnt be important , the power levels are negligable

We have no problem with radio but ours is an early unit with no TMC or RDS fitted

I assume the splitter is only for the TMC ?

apk1
31st January 2011, 15:07
Although I have a different unit, I am still experiencing problems with reception, however I am sure the problem is nothing to do with the splitter, but the unit itself, if I disconnect the splitter, and run the aerial straight to the unit the reception is no better or worse, I think the problem is how the unit handles the signal, so unless there is a "software" fix, boosting the signal would be the only way forward.

RichB
31st January 2011, 16:08
Although I have a different unit, I am still experiencing problems with reception, however I am sure the problem is nothing to do with the splitter, but the unit itself, if I disconnect the splitter, and run the aerial straight to the unit the reception is no better or worse, I think the problem is how the unit handles the signal, so unless there is a "software" fix, boosting the signal would be the only way forward.

I have had different results removing my splitter...

For my unit I have the standard C pillar aerial amp powered and working, the Audi PC5-52 in line amp installed and then a splitter sending the signal to the radio and TMC inputs. Parked on my drive I can get NO FM channels to tune in using the search function and can only faintly get a couple of channels with lots of interference by manually scrolling through the frequencies. AM for radio5 live has always been good.

Today I have just been out and removed the splitter and fed the PC5-52 amp straight into the radio input. I could instantly pick up 6 or 7 FM channels using the search function and could find a few more reasonably clear ones by manually scrolling. I haven't driven anywhere yet to see how the reception fares, but the splitter was certainly causing part of the issue.

Later this week I will be doing a 600 mile round trip from Berkshire to Cleveland so will get a chance to see how the reception and RDS are functioning like this.

I will miss the TMC because this has saved me some time in my long journeys recently, I hope I don't need it for the next few journeys. I do have the supplied TMC aerial still, I need to see if an amplifier combined with that will give me any TMC signal. Otherwise it might be a case of a separate 'proper' aerial, or the dual output version of one of these amplifiers. I'd definitely like to try one of these to see if they improve things further.

Cheers,
Rich

MARKUK
31st January 2011, 16:54
power (wattage) of the resistor woulddnt be important , the power levels are negligable

We have no problem with radio but ours is an early unit with no TMC or RDS fitted

I assume the splitter is only for the TMC ?

Hi, yes the splitter is for those of us that have a TMC input as well as Radio input...

MARKUK
31st January 2011, 17:00
As I managed to muck up my input on my amp on Saturday as mentioned in my earlier post, and as I will therefore have to replace the input cable I am going to modify the build so that there are TWO amplified outputs, one for TMC and one for Radio.
This will remove the need for an extra splitter and the associated signal degrdation.

This will of course increase the costs slightly but it may prove to be a best option for the folk who have TMC.

I am in Scotland at the moment so will pro ably build this on Friday / Saturday if the parts have arrived by then !.

Hopefully by then Madone & Teflon would have chance to install the units I sent out to them on Saturday and may have some feedback for us on how it works for them.

apk1
31st January 2011, 17:10
I have had different results removing my splitter...

For my unit I have the standard C pillar aerial amp powered and working, the Audi PC5-52 in line amp installed and then a splitter sending the signal to the radio and TMC inputs. Parked on my drive I can get NO FM channels to tune in using the search function and can only faintly get a couple of channels with lots of interference by manually scrolling through the frequencies. AM for radio5 live has always been good.

Today I have just been out and removed the splitter and fed the PC5-52 amp straight into the radio input. I could instantly pick up 6 or 7 FM channels using the search function and could find a few more reasonably clear ones by manually scrolling. I haven't driven anywhere yet to see how the reception fares, but the splitter was certainly causing part of the issue.

Later this week I will be doing a 600 mile round trip from Berkshire to Cleveland so will get a chance to see how the reception and RDS are functioning like this.

I will miss the TMC because this has saved me some time in my long journeys recently, I hope I don't need it for the next few journeys. I do have the supplied TMC aerial still, I need to see if an amplifier combined with that will give me any TMC signal. Otherwise it might be a case of a separate 'proper' aerial, or the dual output version of one of these amplifiers. I'd definitely like to try one of these to see if they improve things further.

Cheers,
Rich

Richb, I wonder if in your case the splitter may be an issue, before I had the splitter, the unit was connected straight to the aerial and reception was identical, if you switch feeds on the splitter does it make any difference? (maybe one side has a poor connection?) Like you I would now really miss not having TMC.

MARKUK
31st January 2011, 17:23
Richb, I wonder if in your case the splitter may be an issue, before I had the splitter, the unit was connected straight to the aerial and reception was identical, if you switch feeds on the splitter does it make any difference? (maybe one side has a poor connection?) Like you I would now really miss not having TMC.

I think you will find that most of us are OK if just using the aerial into either the radio or the TMC input...

Once you split the aerial signal into two inputs then you lose signal quality and the reception on the radio and the TMC suffers.

This is why we are testing the units that I have built to see if it does solve the issues.

If it does and you have bought a unit from Sean then he will be sorting it, and I will be supplying the units, if not then you can contact me for a unit directly.

HarryM1BYT
31st January 2011, 17:42
Cheers for that Harry, might give that a go

The question is, what wattage ?.. Maybe 0.25w 150 ohm ..?

Sorry, I didn't spot the question....

As Carl pointed out, it doesn't really matter - the lowest wattage you can get will do (1/8 watt?) - but do avoid wire wound.

madone
31st January 2011, 18:04
As I managed to muck up my input on my amp on Saturday as mentioned in my earlier post, and as I will therefore have to replace the input cable I am going to modify the build so that there are TWO amplified outputs, one for TMC and one for Radio.
This will remove the need for an extra splitter and the associated signal degrdation.

This will of course increase the costs slightly but it may prove to be a best option for the folk who have TMC.

I am in Scotland at the moment so will pro ably build this on Friday / Saturday if the parts have arrived by then !.

Hopefully by then Madone & Teflon would have chance to install the units I sent out to them on Saturday and may have some feedback for us on how it works for them.

Hi Mark

Still at work but SWMBO has told me the part has arrived ok. I have taken tomorrow off to fit and do some testing so hopefully will have feedback later in the day.

MARKUK
31st January 2011, 18:23
A day off Graham ??? Lol...sounds like a plan mate,

Am hoping you will have some good results to pass back and am interested to know, the following...

1. If you think the FM signal is better / worse / the same ?
2. What your AM reception is like with the unit switched ON and then OFF.
3. If you feel that the TMC signal is better / worse / the same.

I am stuck in Kilmarnock until Thursday afternoon when I will be driving back to Barnsley.

Have ordered more kit to make a modified Twin output amp as mentioned earlier and see if that improves things further or not.

MARKUK
31st January 2011, 18:26
Sorry, I didn't spot the question....

As Carl pointed out, it doesn't really matter - the lowest wattage you can get will do (1/8 watt?) - but do avoid wire wound.

No worries Harry

150kohm 0.25w Carbon Film should do the trick then ?

madone
31st January 2011, 19:20
A day off Graham ??? Lol...sounds like a plan mate,

Am hoping you will have some good results to pass back and am interested to know, the following...

1. If you think the FM signal is better / worse / the same ?
2. What your AM reception is like with the unit switched ON and then OFF.
3. If you feel that the TMC signal is better / worse / the same.

I am stuck in Kilmarnock until Thursday afternoon when I will be driving back to Barnsley.

Have ordered more kit to make a modified Twin output amp as mentioned earlier and see if that improves things further or not.

After 13 hours at work I need a day off Mark ;)

I will do the tests as requested plus will see if any noticable difference using the in line amp some of us have. I like the idea of 2 output cables, hope it works as it will get rid of the splitter and maybe in line amp giving the unit room to breath.

MARKUK
31st January 2011, 19:42
After 13 hours at work I need a day off Mark ;)

I will do the tests as requested plus will see if any noticable difference using the in line amp some of us have. I like the idea of 2 output cables, hope it works as it will get rid of the splitter and maybe in line amp giving the unit room to breath.

Cheers Graham, I know what's like, I ended up working all weekend rebuilding two laptops after recovering data from an encrypted HDD as well as building the units for you and Teflon, then had to drive up to Scotland this morning...

I am looking at using two amps in series, effectively boosting the signal and then boosting again through the second amp !..

Use the 1st boosted feed for TMC and then the "re boosted" feed for Radio...

It came to me whilst driving, as do a lot of my ideas !!!

It sounds like it should work ( in my head ! ) so worth a go methinks

HarryM1BYT
31st January 2011, 19:51
No worries Harry

150kohm 0.25w Carbon Film should do the trick then ?

Carbon or metal film are fine.

madone
31st January 2011, 19:53
Cheers Graham, I know what's like, I ended up working all weekend rebuilding two laptops after recovering data from an encrypted HDD as well as building the units for you and Teflon, then had to drive up to Scotland this morning...

I am looking at using two amps in series, effectively boosting the signal and then boosting again through the second amp !..

Sounds good Mark more boost the better :D Looks like you have had a busy few days so chill out now till you get back home. I am sure you will get these reception issues sorted soon for us all.

RichB
31st January 2011, 19:54

Maybe, it's something worth checking I guess. I'll be happier if I can get rid of the splitter, it doesn't look great quality to me.

I think you will find that most of us are OK if just using the aerial into either the radio or the TMC input...

Once you split the aerial signal into two inputs then you lose signal quality and the reception on the radio and the TMC suffers.

My reception is still not OK with the splitter removed and the aeriel fed straight into the radio (with OEM and PC5-52 amps in place). I drove about 25 miles from Bracknell to Camberley and back tonight and although the radio was MUCH better, it was still struggling a lot to lock onto a strong signal and continually shifting through different frequencies and suffering with lots of interference. My old Kenwood had no such issues.

Cheers,
Rich

HarryM1BYT
31st January 2011, 19:58

Too much signal is not necessarily a good thing either, it can 'swamp' the receiver input with the stronger signals and desense it to the weaker ones.

MARKUK
31st January 2011, 20:17
I agree Harry,

I will probably try twin outputs with normal boosting first and then "double" boosting on one or both outputs to see what happens..

MARKUK
31st January 2011, 20:19
Maybe, it's something worth checking I guess. I'll be happier if I can get rid of the splitter, it doesn't look great quality to me.

My reception is still not OK with the splitter removed and the aeriel fed straight into the radio (with OEM and PC5-52 amps in place). I drove about 25 miles from Bracknell to Camberley and back tonight and although the radio was MUCH better, it was still struggling a lot to lock onto a strong signal and continually shifting through different frequencies and suffering with lots of interference. My old Kenwood had no such issues.

Cheers,
Rich

Which unit do you have ?

chrissyboy
31st January 2011, 21:35
i have not had any issues with my dd, radio is nice an clear never lose a station , i have bought a aerial with built in amp ,but that was purely for the tv as the aerial that come with the dd was up to the job really .so im well pleased with my dd

RichB
1st February 2011, 07:43
Which unit do you have ?

The DD? Mine is the one with RDS and TMC.

Rich

MARKUK
1st February 2011, 07:56
The DD? Mine is the one with RDS and TMC.

Rich

Maybe the amp we are testing will help... Have to wait and see if Teflon & madone give it the thumbs up and in the meantime I am working on the upgraded model !

Teflon
1st February 2011, 08:00
Well my signal booster arrived yesterday from Mark. :D

Many thanks for all your efforts Mark, it certainly looks well put together. I fitted it yesterday afternoon, and have so far only had a limited chance to test it. Previously, when using the splitter, radio reception was dismal - Radio 2 would constantly re-tune, and Classic FM was virtually non-existant. TMC worked fine though.

So far, using the splitter and the booster together, I can confirm the following:

TMC works fine
Radio 2 is fine - signal steady with no interference
Classic FM is still dodgy, though much improved. It now holds the signal, but there remains some occasional interference.
Radio 3 is fine - signal steady with no interference

I have yet to try AM, and will also dig out the old TMC aerial and try that with the booster.

All in all, I would say that things look promising so far - this is the first time I have been able to user the radio properly alongside TMC (I had previously given up TMC to use the radio). I will continue monitoring reception over the coming week, and will try the old TMC aerial on Friday, but so far I am very pleased with the improvements.

I'd certainly be interested in a "twin output" version if you make one, if only to do away with the splitter (I'm sure the additional connections probably cause some signal degredation). I would, of course, pay for this myself, as Sean has kindly funded the current version I have (Many thanks Sean).

I will report back with further results later in the week.

Regards,

Cliff

MARKUK
1st February 2011, 11:40
Well my signal booster arrived yesterday from Mark. :D

Many thanks for all your efforts Mark, it certainly looks well put together. I fitted it yesterday afternoon, and have so far only had a limited chance to test it. Previously, when using the splitter, radio reception was dismal - Radio 2 would constantly re-tune, and Classic FM was virtually non-existant. TMC worked fine though.

So far, using the splitter and the booster together, I can confirm the following:

TMC works fine
Radio 2 is fine - signal steady with no interference
Classic FM is still dodgy, though much improved. It now holds the signal, but there remains some occasional interference.
Radio 3 is fine - signal steady with no interference
I have yet to try AM, and will also dig out the old TMC aerial and try that with the booster.

All in all, I would say that things look promising so far - this is the first time I have been able to user the radio properly alongside TMC (I had previously given up TMC to use the radio). I will continue monitoring reception over the coming week, and will try the old TMC aerial on Friday, but so far I am very pleased with the improvements.

I'd certainly be interested in a "twin output" version if you make one, if only to do away with the splitter (I'm sure the additional connections probably cause some signal degredation). I would, of course, pay for this myself, as Sean has kindly funded the current version I have (Many thanks Sean).

I will report back with further results later in the week.

Regards,

Cliff

Hi Cliff,

Many thanks for the feedback so far...just to test my theory, can you try the amp just plugged into the radio and tell me what the reception on Classic FM etc is like then ?..

I feel that the signal degredation that is caused by the splitter isn't helping much on some of the channels like Radio 2 and Classic.

It would also be good to hear how you find your AM reception using the splitter.

Be more than happy to "upgrade" you to a twin output, once I have built and tested mine to see if it's better all round ( which I suspect it will be based on the evidence so far )

You would just need to send yours back to me and cover the parts and postage costs..

Cheers

Teflon
1st February 2011, 12:17
No problem Mark. I'm off work on Friday, so will have a good play around then.

Cheers,

Cliff

madone
1st February 2011, 16:18
Fitted Marks booster this morning with the splitter and been out testing. All I can say is I have my FM radio back :D

I did the initial tests outside my house and found the in line amp had no effect so removed it.

With the unit switched off and AF off also below are the results:

AM - no signal

FM - Radio 1,2 3 and 4 were pretty much perfect and BBC N'ctle was ok. Classic had a bit of interference and TMC struggled to get a signal. The station I normally listen to most is Real Radio but no reception at all :( this applied to Capital also.

With the unit switched on along with AF this is the difference:

AM - Very good. 5 live is the best I have had so far with the DD.

FM - All the BBC channels were perfect. Classic was like listening to The London Symphony Orchestra :D and TMC picked up the signal with no problems (displayed 40 pages of info not the usual 10-12). Real Radio and Capital were perfect along with some other local stations.

I then went on a drive through areas I know have a weak signal (based on the set frequency) on Real and Capital radio. With the AF on these 2 stations fluctuated between frequencies which I expected as it did it with my Symphony unit and it does now with the wifes CR-V. At times it struggled to fix on properly and kept switching between frequencies. The change is not seemless however so I may turn the AF off when using these 2 stations. I have not tried any BBC stations fully yet but my gut feeling is they will be fine.

Overall I am impressed with Marks booster, to put it simply it works :bowdown: The upgrade Mark is doing now will hopefully improve it more.

Due to having a better signal can someone please enlighten me on the following letters which now appear on some stations, TPE ON and TP. Also, on the DD what do the following buttons actually do: LOC, PTY and TA.

Back at work tomorrow and will be driving further to a different area so will update on my return.

MARKUK
1st February 2011, 16:28
Fitted Marks booster this morning with the splitter and been out testing. All I can say is I have my FM radio back :D

I did the initial tests outside my house and found the in line booster had no effect so removed it.

With the unit switched off and AF off also below are the results:

AM - no signal

FM - Radio 1,2 3 and 4 were pretty much perfect and BBC N'ctle was ok. Classic had a bit of interference and TMC struggled to get a signal. The station I normally listen to most is Real Radio but no reception at all :( this applied to Capital also.

With the unit switched on along with AF this is the difference:

AM - Very good. 5 live is the best I have had so far with the DD.

FM - All the BBC channels were perfect. Classic was like listening to The London Symphony Orchestra :D and TMC picked up the signal with no problems (displayed 40 pages of info not the usual 10-12). Real Radio and Capital were perfect along with some other local stations.

I then went on a drive through areas I know have a weak signal (based on the set frequency) on Real and Capital radio. With the AF on these 2 stations fluctuated between frequencies which I expected as it did it with my Symphony unit and it does now with the wifes CR-V. At times it struggled to fix on properly and kept switching between frequencies. The change is not seemless however so I may turn the AF off when using these 2 stations. I have not tried any BBC stations fully yet but my gut feeling is they will be fine.

Overall I am impressed with Marks booster, to put it simply it works :bowdown: The upgrade Mark is doing now will hopefully improve it more.

Due to having a better signal can someone please enlighten me on the following letters which now appear on some stations, TPE ON and TP. Also, on the DD what do the following buttons actually do: LOC, PTY and TA.

Back at work tomorrow and will be driving further to a different area so will update on my return.

Sounds good Graham, thanks for the feedback..

When you say in line booster do you mean the small thin things that we bought before ?

Am looking forward to more feedback over the coming days !

In relation to LOC TA etc...

TA = Traffic Alert
LOC = Local as in Radio Stations ( so a weaker signal )
PTY = Lets you search for certain types of channels I think.

madone
1st February 2011, 16:56

When you say in line booster do you mean the small thin things that we bought before ?

TA = Traffic Alert

Hi Mark

Yes I meant to say inline amp some of us bought (corrected now). I thought TA meant that. So if I press the LOC button does that allow you to tune into weaker signals or will it give a better signal to weak local stations?

MARKUK
1st February 2011, 17:10
Not too sure Graham, have done a bit of googling and can't find it yet !...

Found this though...

http://www.caraudiocentre.co.uk/glossary.htm

Am glad that my unit is proving it works ! and maybe the dual output amp will be even better !..

I think I need to get it built and then test but from what you and Cliff have said, along with my own testing, it looks like the single output works well but a dual output will prove to be the 100% fix.

madone
1st February 2011, 17:50
Just found this

TA, TP

Traffic Announcement, Traffic Programme The receiver can often be set to pay special attention to this flag and e.g. stop the tape/pause the CD or retune to receive a Traffic bulletin. The TP flag is used to allow the user to find only those stations that regularly broadcast traffic bulletins whereas the TA flag is used to stop the tape or raise the volume during a traffic bulletin.

When I have a perfect signal TPE ON appears, could be related to this

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VneKDWb1kTE

Look forward to your test results with the dual output.

HarryM1BYT
1st February 2011, 18:07

TA = Traffic Alert

Someone really ought to write a plain English manual for this beast (PLEASE) :D

The effect of LOCal usually is to desense the input so the radio can only receive the strongest radio signals, usually meaning the local transmitters.

HarryM1BYT
1st February 2011, 18:10
Hi Mark

Yes I meant to say inline amp some of us bought (corrected now). I thought TA meant that. So if I press the LOC button does that allow you to tune into weaker signals or will it give a better signal to weak local stations?

With LOC lit or turned on, your reception will be worse.

madone
1st February 2011, 18:16
With LOC lit or turned on, your reception will be worse.

Cheers Harry.

carl
2nd February 2011, 12:13
LOC is for when a weak station interfeares with a strong signal station - reduces the sensitivity of the tuner circuit

madone
2nd February 2011, 16:30
LOC is for when a weak station interfeares with a strong signal station - reduces the sensitivity of the tuner circuit

Thanks Carl.

So does that mean I should switch LOC on when the AF is struggling to fix on one of the frequencies used by local stations I am having trouble with?

madone
2nd February 2011, 16:45
Update on testing.

AM is working no problems.

FM BBC stations are working fine and really I have found no issues with them. May get used to Radio 2 ;) TMC is locking on to either Classic or Capital giving me loads of data.

My only problem so far is local stations and the inability of the AF to do its job. The AF constantly flashes with a poor signal/sound instead of just switching frequencies. If I change frequency manually it works ok.

Real and Capital radio operate on 2 frequencies locally so an option is to turn off AF and set both stations to each frequency, giving me a simple solution just by pressing a button.

When Mark has tested his update it may solve the problem.

MARKUK
2nd February 2011, 16:53
Update on testing.

AM is working no problems.

FM BBC stations are working fine and really I have found no issues with them. May get used to Radio 2 ;) TMC is locking on to either Classic or Capital giving me loads of data.

My only problem so far is local stations and the inability of the AF to do its job. The AF constantly flashes with a poor signal/sound instead of just switching frequencies. If I change frequency manually it works ok.

Real and Capital radio operate on 2 frequencies locally so an option is to turn off AF and set both stations to each frequency, giving me a simple solution just by pressing a button.

When Mark has tested his update it may solve the problem.

Thanks for the update Graham,

Have you tried this with LOC switched on & off ?

Have you also tried with just the radio connected as opposed to the splitter ?
So the amp is giving all it's boost to the radio only ?

The boost is around 6db, I wonder if the dual output will solve this...

Cheers

MARKUK
2nd February 2011, 17:27
Guys,

As I have previously posted, I will be building a twin amp twin output model of the booster that I have sent to Madone & Teflon, which will remove the need for a splitter cable and hopefully solve the issues 100 %.

However, I have also decided to build a completely different model, which will be encased in a metal box rather than plastic and will boost to 22db rather than the 6db that the 1st version puts out.

I will probably test it myself 1st and then send it on to one of the guys to test also, rather than spend anymore money on kit as the various bits have dented my wallet a bit, even though Sean has funded the 1st three models that I have built. ( Thanks Sean !!! )

So I will take the hit on the cost until such times as I can be sure which model works best, then we can take it from there.

HarryM1BYT
2nd February 2011, 17:37
Hi Mark

So if I press the LOC button does that allow you to tune into weaker signals or will it give a better signal to weak local stations?

With LOC on, all of your received radio stations will be degraded - the idea is that the radio will ONLY hear the stronger local signals. A bit like turning the new amp you are testing, off.

madone
2nd February 2011, 17:48
With LOC on, all of your received radio stations will be degraded - the idea is that the radio will ONLY hear the stronger local signals. A bit like turning the new amp you are testing, off.

Thanks Harry for clearing that up.

madone
2nd February 2011, 17:53
Thanks for the update Graham,

Have you tried this with LOC switched on & off ?

Have you also tried with just the radio connected as opposed to the splitter ?
So the amp is giving all it's boost to the radio only ?

The boost is around 6db, I wonder if the dual output will solve this...

Cheers

Hi Mark

I have not tried the LOC option, probably wont improve anything based on what has been said.

I wont be able to try without the splitter until Friday but will certainly give it a go. Never thought of that :(

MARKUK
2nd February 2011, 18:00
Hi Mark

I have not tried the LOC option, probably wont improve anything based on what has been said.

I wont be able to try without the splitter until Friday but will certainly give it a go. Never thought of that :(

No worries Graham, it was just to clarify if it is better without the splitter, just trying to look at this from all sides and decide on the best way forward to solve the roblem 100% for everyone.

Once we know exactly, we can then decide on the best model to put out and it will give me an indication on how many units of what type I am going to have to build !!!...

madone
4th February 2011, 14:30
No worries Graham, it was just to clarify if it is better without the splitter, just trying to look at this from all sides and decide on the best way forward to solve the roblem 100% for everyone.

Once we know exactly, we can then decide on the best model to put out and it will give me an indication on how many units of what type I am going to have to build !!!...

Have done some testing today without the splitter and it works a lot better. The local stations had a stronger signal with the AF locking on to another frequency fairly quickly, not seemless but acceptable.

Based on what I have experienced so far Mark I believe your upgraded model will be the best option.

MARKUK
4th February 2011, 16:26
Hi Graham,

I built two versions today, one with two amps and outputs and the other using two amps and one output..

Both were not as good as the one I built for you..it was also a right mare getting both boards and cables etc into the box !..

I am getting very good results with just the one output, but I do feel the splitter is causing more grief !...

I am building a new unit tomorrow which has a boost of 22db rather than 6db which the current model has, hopefully that will be a whole lot better..

As it stands the booster is better than without, I just feel it could be better still !..

Watch this space.....

madone
4th February 2011, 17:45
Hi Graham,

I built two versions today, one with two amps and outputs and the other using two amps and one output..

Both were not as good as the one I built for you..it was also a right mare getting both boards and cables etc into the box !..

I am getting very good results with just the one output, but I do feel the splitter is causing more grief !...

I am building a new unit tomorrow which has a boost of 22db rather than 6db which the current model has, hopefully that will be a whole lot better..

As it stands the booster is better than without, I just feel it could be better still !..

Watch this space.....

OK Mark let me know if you want more testing done.

I do believe though that with the knowledge you have gained testing yourself I am happy to let you decide what option is best for us all.

MARKUK
4th February 2011, 18:17
Cheers Graham,

Will let you know how the new unit fairs when I have built it and may well send to you to test after I have had a test.

I will also look at another twin output model with the spare amp that I have now.

HarryM1BYT
4th February 2011, 18:40
Hi Mark and thanks for you considerable efforts with these amps.

Just a reminder on the impedance matching to enable you to obtain the best results....

I don't quite understand how you are considering using two amps, so ignore this if it is not relevant.

Just like the need to use 150 Ohm resistors to split the signal, you will also need to do exactly the same thing if you are working with two amps in parallel, one amp feeding radio the other feeding the TMC - when the amps are fed off a single input.

Hope that makes sense?

MARKUK
4th February 2011, 19:15
Hi Harry,

Thanks for that....

I have ordered some resistors, just waiting for them, then I can revisit the twin output version, I just had a go anyway so I can make the comparison.
It will require a bigger enclosure however.

Still think it's worth trying the 22db version and will try that with 1 & 2 outputs once I have all the bits.

By the way, I have tried using 1 feed into 2 amps giving 2 outputs as well as the output from amp 1 feeding the input of amp 2 if that explains it a bit better.

Teflon
4th February 2011, 21:32
Hi Mark & co,

had a good fiddle with my unit today. Sadly, I couldn't find the original TMC aerial anywhere (could have sworn it was in my shed :shrug:) so haven't been able to test that with the booster.

I tried the booster without the splitter, and reception was a little better, but not significantly so. AM reception, both with splitter and without, is significantly better han before. Classic FM still has interference, even without the splitter - Radio One also.

Overall, the booster gives a marked (no pun intended :o) improvement, but interference on some channels is still apparent. I do wonder whether some of this is down to quality of connections in the unit, as it can be quite sporadic, and sometimes improves just by properly installing the head unit. I should add that all loom connections external to the unit are good and secure. The good news is that Radio 2, Radio 3, Radio 4, and LBC are all now of an acceptable quality, even with the splitter, and TMC also works as it should. :D

Hope this helps, and many thanks Mark for all your efforts. It will be interesting to hear how the 22db unit performs.

Cliff

MARKUK
4th February 2011, 21:47
Hi Cliff,

Many thanks for your latest feedback.

I tend to agree on the possibility of the internal connections possibly being an issue, it's certainly something that we can't rule out of the equation, there are other connections that could also be part of the problem.

Having said that, the units that you, Graham & I have do make it better, just not yet perfect.

I will carry on tinkering and testing and am confident we can sort it in the end !..

I think the 22db version has some promise, and once I have the other components at home, I can try some different builds and see where that leads.

There's a local company that can make me circuit boards so I may give them a ring and see if we can work together to design an all signing all dancing version if the other versions can't 100% fix this..

I will keep trying !!!

HarryM1BYT
4th February 2011, 23:20
There's a local company that can make me circuit boards so I may give them a ring and see if we can work together to design an all signing all dancing version if the other versions can't 100% fix this..

I will keep trying !!!

It would not be a very difficult circuit to reproduce a twin amp on cheap Veroboard.

MARKUK
4th February 2011, 23:27
Fancy having a go Harry ?

HarryM1BYT
5th February 2011, 07:52
Sadly, my eyes are not up to that sort of thing now, 20 years ago I would not have hesitated. I've got some Veroboard layout and design software somewhere, if it might help?

MARKUK
5th February 2011, 08:46
Sadly, my eyes are not up to that sort of thing now, 20 years ago I would not have hesitated. I've got some Veroboard layout and design software somewhere, if it might help?

Always worth a go Harry if you can manage to dig it out !...

Cheers

MARKUK
5th February 2011, 16:19
Hi Guys,

I have built the new version amp which boosts by 22db..

http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y223/yorkie_porkie/Rover%2075%20Stuff/FM_AM%20Amp/New22dbUnit3.jpg

I have tried various configurations of this...

1. Aerial into splitter and used one output to the amp to the Radio and the other to TMC

2. Aerial into amp and then splitter out to Radio & TMC

3. Aerial into amp and then splitter out TMC & other via second amp to Radio

4. Aerial into splitter and used one output to "new" amp to Radio and the other output to "old" amp then to TMC

5. Aerial straight into back of Radio and Amp ( either ) in TMC

Managed to blow a few fuses as the "new" amp has 12v going through the aerial cable so if you touch the metal casing the fuse blows...( £3.99 for 6 fuses at Halfords !!! = RIP OFF !!)

The best solution so far is number two, however AM suffers and some channels esp R1 & R3 have slight hiss...but then I could pick up channels that I couldn't before..go figure !..

Of course this was just sat on my driveway, I will know more this week when out and about...

Still can't find the little TMC lead that came with the unit...I would say that using that hidden in a pillar with one of the amps would probably work but until I find the thing, can't say for sure..

The "new" amp IS better than the "old" one that's for sure...FM is even better than before,,

The best reception was indeed with the normal aerial straight in the back on all FM & AM channels but if you want to use the TMC, we will have to compromise somewhat because as soon
as we introduce a splitter at whatever point, it will make a difference.

It's got dark now and I have mislaid some screws in the car, so that's all for tonight, however I will have to go back tomorrow and put things back like the DAB etc which I had to move to get to the fusebox !..

What I am going to try tomorrow is boosting the signal from the back pillar instead of at the Head Unit end and see if that makes any difference..

I will try the "old" amp then the "new" and then a combination of both..

Hope this all makes sense !!

HarryM1BYT
5th February 2011, 18:46
Always worth a go Harry if you can manage to dig it out !...

Cheers

This is the one I had in mind-

http://www.marlwifi.org.nz/other/stripboard-magic

but there is this one as well.

http://www.heyrick.co.uk/software/verodes/

MARKUK
5th February 2011, 19:49
Cool Harry,

Will take a look !

HarryM1BYT
5th February 2011, 20:34
The best solution so far is number two, however AM suffers and some channels esp R1 & R3 have slight hiss...

Maybe too much gain on the stronger signals and over driving the DD input?

Still can't find the little TMC lead that came with the unit...I would say that using that hidden in a pillar with one of the amps would probably work but until I find the thing, can't say for sure..

No great loss, it is only a bit of wire. Just poking the bared end of a bit of wire of around the same length into the centre contact of the input socket would work just as well.

Better if you intend using a separate antenna installed behind the pillar trim, would be to convert a coax extension lead into an FM antenna....

Cut the female socket end off and strip the outer cover and screening back for 713mm - leaving the inner wires insulation in place. In other words, expose 713mm of the inner core.

MARKUK
5th February 2011, 20:42
The best solution so far is number two, however AM suffers and some channels esp R1 & R3 have slight hiss...

Maybe too much gain on the stronger signals and over driving the DD input?

Yeah, I had that thought also

No great loss, it is only a bit of wire. Just poking the bared end of a bit of wire of around the same length into the centre contact of the input socket would work just as well.

Better if you intend using a separate antenna installed behind the pillar trim, would be to convert a coax extension lead into an FM antenna....

Cut the female socket end off and strip the outer cover and screening back for 713mm - leaving the inner wires insulation in place. In other words, expose 713mm of the inner core.

Bit ahead of you there Harry !...have made one of those and also adapted a magmount aerial from my little 7' DVB TV...

Will try both tomorrow !

MARKUK
6th February 2011, 13:02
OK Guys,

Here it is....

Problem..?

In order to use Radio AND TMC at the same time we had to use a aplitter which was causing the signal degradation...

Solution..?

Remove the splitter !..

How..?

Well that will be in my next post as I am going to do some videos to show what you need to do !...

Watch This space !!!

HarryM1BYT
6th February 2011, 13:56
OK Guys,

Solution..?

Remove the splitter !..

How..?

Well that will be in my next post as I am going to do some videos to show what you need to do !...

Watch This space !!!

Watching with extreme interest :}

Orders popcorn :getmecoat:

MARKUK
6th February 2011, 14:00
Watching with extreme interest :}

Orders popcorn :getmecoat:

Uploading the Videos to YouTube at the moment...

will be posting in apx 10 minutes !

Teflon
6th February 2011, 14:05
Hurry, hurry, hurry!:drool4:

Cliff

Teflon
6th February 2011, 14:32
Just hunted out the vids (impatient or what!).

Very impressive results - does the extra bit of co-ax impact on the radio reception at all?

Short answer to your question in Vid 2: yes please!

Cliff

MARKUK
6th February 2011, 14:51
All,

Here is how I have fixed this....

This is a Video showing what the reception of both Radio & TMC is like now...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9Fj7fnwr7WI

And here is a video of how I achieved it....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MptyCKwinFw

The cable that I have attached to the Aerial on in the passenger side rear pillar feeds into the NEW amp...

http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y223/yorkie_porkie/Rover%2075%20Stuff/FM_AM%20Amp/New22dbUnit3.jpg

http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y223/yorkie_porkie/Rover%2075%20Stuff/FM_AM%20Amp/New22dbUnit1.jpg

And then this feeds the TMC only...

The Radio is fed as it should be from the Car's own Aerial feed...so I have removed the need for a splitter...

Comments welcome !!...

MARKUK
6th February 2011, 14:52
Just hunted out the vids (impatient or what!).

Very impressive results - does the extra bit of co-ax impact on the radio reception at all?

Cliff

in short NO !!! :D

In all the channels I tuned into there were NO issues, with the exception of 774 Mhz in the AM band, but I can live with that !!! ( Now Sorted !! see below )

This is far the BEST option for those of us with the Radio / TMC inputs...because I have taken the feed before the Car's amp gets it, it seems to be fine

Tell you what though...I am worn out !...taken about 12 hours over the last two days of trying this, trying that, every configuration I could think of and then today I have tried
various methods and this is the best 99.9 % Pefection ! :drool4:
Just got to put everything back now but it's raining again !

***EDIT***

Just been back and put the screws etc back and made sure all the connections were solid...I can now get at least six AM channels - all with good reception 774 mhz is now much better.

See below for the videos...

AM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bHKpOY0hvdU

FM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dsbfj6WrooQ

TMC

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OXtr-pIlj3w

Now the cost !....

To build and including postage will be £35 per unit..

That will include fully built Amp, including the cables in and out + the extension cables..I will leave the end of the 1st cable on so you can adjust how much you need to trim it by to fit.

The price allows me to make £5 after the Paypal charges etc, which given that it will take over an hour per unit to build I think is fair..

Whether or not Sean will pay for these ( if it's for a DD bought from him of course ) I don't know...if your watching Sean, what would you like to do here ?....

madone
6th February 2011, 16:02
Fantastic Mark :bowdown::bowdown:

I would like to really thank you for all the hours of work you have put into solving the problem.

Can I have one please? :drool4::drool4:

Let me know when you want mark 1 returned :D:D

HarryM1BYT
6th February 2011, 16:44
Hi Mark,

I'm truly cob smacked that it works so well.

Am I understanding it correctly, that you have tapped onto the input to the Rover amp? I would have thought that would seriously degrade the signal into the amp. I suspect in part, that the inner which has had its outer screen removed, will be picking up a lot of the signal.

Where are you intending to fit the new amp? I suggest that could be fitted alongside the Rover amp and be tapped into its 12v supply.

I'll be very impressed if I can get Aire FM that good - the tranmitter is located at Tingley, by the M62 BTW. I'm only 7 miles from it.

Those AM stations sound good too, I have never been able to use it due to background noises.

Finally, when do we get them? :drool4:

MARKUK
6th February 2011, 16:55
Hi Mark,

I'm truly cob smacked that it works so well.

Am I understanding it correctly, that you have tapped onto the input to the Rover amp? I would have thought that would seriously degrade the signal into the amp. I suspect in part, that the inner which has had its outer screen removed, will be picking up a lot of the signal.

I have tapped into the INPUT to the Rover amp, so not to degrade OUTPUT from the amp...That seemed to give the best performance.

Where are you intending to fit the new amp? I suggest that could be fitted alongside the Rover amp and be tapped into its 12v supply.

I have installed mine behind the Glovebox so the boost is just before the H/U, although I am sure it can be done at the other end too. Personal choice I think..
and I didn't want to degrade the voltage getting to the Rover amp..

I'll be very impressed if I can get Aire FM that good - the tranmitter is located at Tingley, by the M62 BTW. I'm only 7 miles from it.

I couldn't get Radio Aire OR Capital AT ALL before, when using the splitter ! and I live 27 miles from Leeds !...

Those AM stations sound good too, I have never been able to use it due to background noises.

I am not really an AM listener, but wanted to make sure it worked for those who are

Finally, when do we get them? :drool4:

I guess the first thing is to see who wants them, then I can give an estimate on timescales, as there's no point doing them in dribs and drabs as that just increases on postage costs for the bits required..

Teflon
7th February 2011, 12:40
Hi Mark,

definatly interested here. Just say when you need the £35.00.

Cheers,

Cliff

MARKUK
7th February 2011, 12:49
Thanks Cliff,

Will give it a few days to see if anyone else wants one and then take it from there...

Will move the post into a new thread...

RichB
7th February 2011, 13:46
I guess the first thing is to see who wants them, then I can give an estimate on timescales, as there's no point doing them in dribs and drabs as that just increases on postage costs for the bits required..

Mark,

Thanks for all your efforts in working out a solution.

In my case, I don't think this is optimal. I am currently running the standard aerial (from the OEM amp in the C-pillar) to the DD and have removed the splitter to the TMC altogether. I can now get a lot of FM channels put the reception is by no means perfect. I regularly drive from Berkshire to Cleveland and a lot of other places across the country, and there a number of areas where I can't get good national radio reception, such as R1. I never had such issues with my old Kenwood.

Now, I still have one of those in line filter/amplifier things fitted. I will try removing this in case it is introducing another issue, but I think the solution would be better external amplification of the signal or support from the factory on improving the radio 'electronics', which I gather is unlikely.

Did you try running the aerial through your amp into the radio input, without considering the TMC? Did it give any noticeable difference? I guess this is difficult if you are already in a good reception area.

I'm not convinced the TMC needs as much amplification as the radio. When the splitter was installed my TMC was working fine but I could barely pick any FM channels up on the radio.

Cheers,
Rich

MARKUK
7th February 2011, 14:09
Mark,

Thanks for all your efforts in working out a solution.

In my case, I don't think this is optimal. I am currently running the standard aerial (from the OEM amp in the C-pillar) to the DD and have removed the splitter to the TMC altogether. I can now get a lot of FM channels put the reception is by no means perfect. I regularly drive from Berkshire to Cleveland and a lot of other places across the country, and there a number of areas where I can't get good national radio reception, such as R1. I never had such issues with my old Kenwood.

Now, I still have one of those in line filter/amplifier things fitted. I will try removing this in case it is introducing another issue, but I think the solution would be better external amplification of the signal or support from the factory on improving the radio 'electronics', which I gather is unlikely.

Did you try running the aerial through your amp into the radio input, without considering the TMC? Did it give any noticeable difference? I guess this is difficult if you are already in a good reception area.

I'm not convinced the TMC needs as much amplification as the radio. When the splitter was installed my TMC was working fine but I could barely pick any FM channels up on the radio.

Cheers,
Rich

Hi Rich,

Is what you have something like this...

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/12V-Amplified-Car-Aerial-Booster-Adapter-FM-AM-Antenna-/400191951136?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item5d2d4c9120

As we have all found out, you get what you pay for !...and with that it's nowt !...

I have mine in the glovebox, soon to be bin as it's worse than useless..

You should make sure that all your connections are solid and the amp in the pillar is getting the 12v feed as that could be one of your problems.

As with everything in my job ( I work in I.T. ) it's hard to diagnose fully without seeing the problems 1st hand..

I have the amps available to order, but it's hard to say it's going to work if you have other issues going on also. It may be that you need one of the two amps I have available to boost your aerial signal.

I did run the aerial straight into the DD without going anywhere near TMC and it's nigh on perfect, hence finding the fix for those of us who paid for an RDS / TMC model, only to find we couldn't use it to it's full potential due to splitting the signal between the two..

In my case the reception was good enough with just the aerial into the DD, it was when I introduced the splitter to enable the TMC use that I started having issues

My solution does away with that and I did find when going through all the steps that I did need the 22db Amp to boost the TMC using the method I have detailed in my posts..

All I know is the current "fix" works for me !

I hope this helps somewhat !?!

RichB
8th February 2011, 17:07
Hi Rich,

Is what you have something like this...

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/12V-Amplified-Car-Aerial-Booster-Adapter-FM-AM-Antenna-/400191951136?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item5d2d4c9120

As we have all found out, you get what you pay for !...and with that it's nowt !...
Yep, that's it. I only bought and fitted one when others on here said they had some improvement from it. I only fitted it after fitting the splitter and it made no difference.

You should make sure that all your connections are solid and the amp in the pillar is getting the 12v feed as that could be one of your problems.

Yep, amp in the pillar is working and connections are good.

I did run the aerial straight into the DD without going anywhere near TMC and it's nigh on perfect, hence finding the fix for those of us who paid for an RDS / TMC model, only to find we couldn't use it to it's full potential due to splitting the signal between the two...

This is what I have now and it is not perfect. I'll probably need to try one of your amps to boost my radio reception and see if that clears that problem, then work out what to do with the TMC later.

Cheers,
Rich

MARKUK
8th February 2011, 17:20
Yep, that's it. I only bought and fitted one when others on here said they had some improvement from it. I only fitted it after fitting the splitter and it made no difference.

Yep, amp in the pillar is working and connections are good.

This is what I have now and it is not perfect. I'll probably need to try one of your amps to boost my radio reception and see if that clears that problem, then work out what to do with the TMC later.

Cheers,
Rich

Hi Rich,

Well I have two versions available...

see this post...

http://the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=77691

Like I said though, without seeing your problem 1st hand, it's a bit difficult to say if either of these will do the trick...

PM me if you want one though and I can add you to the list...

Radioguy
9th February 2011, 12:37
Hi Guys, Can we start a list of how many of these will be needed?

Sean