PDA

View Full Version : Was the head gasket problem ever cured?

dagriise
11th January 2011, 21:09
Hi, im looking into bying my wife a 2004-5 Streetwise, but wonder if the headgasket problem was cured on these late K-engined Rovers? I have a ZT-t.2005 thats running fine whith no problems, while a mate whith a similar car has had his gasket changed. I have changed the gasket on my wifes 214, but that was much older.. (1997 mod.. ) any advice on this and/ or other bugs on the streetwise most welcome

Dag Riise
Norway.

WillyHeckaslike
11th January 2011, 23:55
dagriise: Hi, im looking into bying my wife a 2004-5 Streetwise, but wonder if the headgasket problem was cured on these late K-engined Rovers?The problem with the head on the K-Series was never addressed, only mitigation measures were ever sanctioned/thrown at it. I have read that the head on the N-Series has been redesigned to cater for the obvious, but time will tell.

kaiser
12th January 2011, 06:15
I think there was an uprated gasket set made for landrover.
I don't think it cured the problem though. The main reason for problems is overheating following water loss. The temperature gauge being virtually useless is no help, warning you only once the engine is already very hot.

The best defense against head gasket problems is a daily check before you set off. You can get that down to a fine art, mostly just squeezing the coolant hose and listening to the expansion box.
15 seconds max, for peace of mind.!

chrissyboy
12th January 2011, 07:22
there will never be a cure for head gasket problems as it can accur by other ways than just a leaking system.like mine when it went the gasket had lifted between cylinders without water lose the gasket has been improved to just prolong the gasket .the k series engine is isigned to run hot ,heat up quickly with the small volume of coolant ,which isnt a good idea as in the cold weather the head can exprience therml shock leading the head warping ,they have made better dowels to stop the heads movment .. the engine just needs a bigger coolant tank as one litre in the tank inst enough if you di spring a leak, the other cars have 5 and half litres as aposed to the 18`s 4 and a half ...bu having said that the unit is a good one if looked after ... like any other car it is possiblke to suffer hgf even if looked after ... i believe a member looked after his engine well on here but still suffered hgf

rovexCDTi
12th January 2011, 09:38
ALL engines with a head gaskets can have a head gasket failure, which means pretty much every production car. The K series is sensitive because it overheats very quickly if the coolant leaks. Best to just keep an eye on the coolant levels.

Of all the cars ive had ive blown head gaskets on 2 honda engines and a subaru engine, but so far no K series engines.

rizel23
12th January 2011, 09:43
could you not fit a larger water tank?

T-Cut
12th January 2011, 11:02
The MLS gasket is now in second generation and apears to have resolved the issue as well as HGF in any engine can be resolved. Here's the latest info from Xpart, who are fitting the SAIC designed kit that includes new stretch bolts and oil rail.

Latest: http://www.the-mia.com/XPart-provides-Caterham-owners-with--ultimate-fix--for-K-series-engine

TC

Simon.h
12th January 2011, 19:12
Hi dagriise,
My wifes got a 3 door Streetwise 1.4 54 reg, its a great car! I find the seats very good (holds me better that my ZT) and its does about 37 mpg on petrol, but i fitted lpg within 4 weeks of getting it and does 34mpg on gas which money wise is the same as about 65-70 mpg! Beat that!
Its done 75k with full service history and had a full service with cam belt just before we got her and the head gasket has not been changed!

The thing is we went out to buy a MG ZR but came across the streetwise and the wife liked it so much we were driving home 1 hr later in the streetwise and for only £1600 (last Oct).

As other people have said as long as the coolant is checked and its not run then low on coolant then head gasket will be fine!

stevemac
12th January 2011, 21:38
could you not fit a larger water tank?

A bigger header tank won't really do much other than increase the window you would have to catch a small leak. But if the leak was major than that extra window time would still be very short. Best to check level often.