PDA

View Full Version : Using a Mondeo engine mount

tvpcop
11th January 2011, 21:23
Firstly all credit to Wuzerk who was the first to try this on his Auto, i thought i'd buy one to try on my manual diesel zt.

It cost me £21 posted from a breaker on ebay and is from the mk3 mondeo. It looks like its done tons of miles but the rubber has no cracking at all which i think is due to the better design with the buffers in the void.

First picture is a comparison with an old OEM mount I had in the garage. As you can see the larger bush end is roughly the same width as the OEM mount but the smaller bush end on the Mondeo is far wider
http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y145/partyboy1/DSCF1142.jpg
http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y145/partyboy1/DSCF1141.jpg

Basically to make it fit you need to hacksaw the small bush flat on both sides with the frame.....DONE.
http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y145/partyboy1/DSCF1144.jpg
http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y145/partyboy1/DSCF1145.jpg

I filed it nice and flat afterwards. The large bush end is slightly narrower than the OEM mount so you need a couple of washers with a 12mm hole in the middle to fill the gap between the mount and its bracket (again credit to Wuzerk, he recommended using a dab of superglue to hold the washers in place for re-fitting, works a treat) Then re-fit. Ive only done about 15 miles since but the car feels better to drive. My old mount was breaking and over speed bumps, etc i could feel the engine rocking back and forth. It just feels 'better' in general and like it used to.

All in all im very pleased for 20 quid, and I expect it to last far longer than the OEM mount. Im still interested in how the new Powerflex bushes work on a diesel but I do expect them to be too harsh so this may be the ideal solution for the diesel if you dont want to drop £90 odd quid on a new OEM one.

Cheers,
Graham

Mr (Z) T
11th January 2011, 23:22
You mention the powerflex bushes :- this is from t'other side http://forums.mg-rover.org/showthread.php?t=398137

tvpcop
12th January 2011, 09:53
Aye, I read that thread. I am waiting to see what people think. Did my 35 mile commute this morning, the car felt much more solid under acceleration and braking, I'm really pleased.

wuzerk
12th January 2011, 11:10
TVCOP: brilliant, I agree that the Mondeo unit seems better designed with the built-in rubber buffers and my modified one is in the garage waiting for the Rover one to break.

rovexCDTi
12th January 2011, 11:15
Thing is when i was looking at getting a diesel the Mondeo came up as an option, but research on its issues showed the mounts were a weak point.. Are we really gaining anything by using them?

soapy
12th January 2011, 11:17
Excellent post have bought a used mk3 mondeo mount off the bay this morning for £20.00 and using your thread i am going to fit it,will post back with results.:D

man of kent
12th January 2011, 12:32
Give the guys a teddy bear. Best post I've seen in years and might bring the Xpart price down!

tvpcop
12th January 2011, 17:03
Give the guys a teddy bear. Best post I've seen in years and might bring the Xpart price down!

Ha if only however i fear that the price will never go down as most owners will just go to a garage and be told "your engine mount has gone sir, that'll be £90 plus an hours labour please" :D

tvpcop
12th January 2011, 17:06
Thing is when i was looking at getting a diesel the Mondeo came up as an option, but research on its issues showed the mounts were a weak point.. Are we really gaining anything by using them?

Well what i would say and im no expert on the mondeo is that my mondeo mount looks significantly older than my original OEM mount which did roughly 100K and the rubber portion looks in much better nick. The rubber is not splitting anywhere and it looks good for a few more tens of thousands of miles.

Only thing we wont know for some time is whether or not the ZT is harsher on this mount than the mondeo is on it. Maybe it will expire more quickly on a ZT/75, who knows?

soapy
12th January 2011, 17:15
Well what i would say and im no expert on the mondeo is that my mondeo mount looks significantly older than my original OEM mount which did roughly 100K and the rubber portion looks in much better nick. The rubber is not splitting anywhere and it looks good for a few more tens of thousands of miles.

Only thing we wont know for some time is whether or not the ZT is harsher on this mount than the mondeo is on it. Maybe it will expire more quickly on a ZT/75, who knows?

Worth a punt i say,looking forward to doing it.:D

tvpcop
12th January 2011, 17:25
Worth a punt i say,looking forward to doing it.:D

Good luck mate, its really easy just get a nice sharp blade in your hacksaw its only alloy so pretty easy to cut

soapy
12th January 2011, 17:33
Good luck mate, its really easy just get a nice sharp blade in your hacksaw its only alloy so pretty easy to cut

Cheers mate to be honest i reckon when i take off the original its going to be shot as there is a bang on pulling away coming from the engine area so hopefully this will sort it many thanks for your efforts with this its what makes this a great club,regards Dave:)

tvpcop
12th January 2011, 17:38
No probs mate, but as said Wuzerk deserves the credit, i just replicated his work.

Heres the thread where we started discussing alternatives if youve got a spare hour lol

http://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=73157

Let us know how you find it ;)

Cheers
Graham

wuzerk
13th January 2011, 09:13
http://img109.imageshack.us/img109/1203/mondeor.jpg (http://img109.imageshack.us/i/mondeor.jpg/)

wuzerk
13th January 2011, 09:17
For some reason I cannot add text to the above picture. If you look carefully you will see that the right hand horizontal buffer is SOLID rubber.
The one used by TVCOP has a large hole in it! That means that we need to identify which models of Mondeo these two came from.
I have looked at the pic on e bay where I bought the mount and it shows a hole! It says it is suitable for any Mondeo Mark 3 from 2001-07.
Either there is a difference between petrol and diesel models or they are universal but have been modified. It looks as though I will have to drill a hole in the rubber!
EDIT. I have phoned the e bay supplier and they say they wouldn't know why one has a hole and the other doesn't!!

RE EDIT: I have searched and found a pic from a Ford dealer. The pic shows the hole in the buffer and says it is for petrol and diesel models 2000-2007
so my solid one is a mystery. The price for a new one is £67.25 +£5 postage.

soapy
13th January 2011, 10:03
I recieved mine this morning Wuzerk and this is what i recieved same as yours by the looks of it and by the same supplier i reckon,pic below,will i still be able to utilise this.?

wuzerk
13th January 2011, 10:08
SUDDERZ: Yes, identical to mine. Your handle doesn't say if you have an auto or not. Mine is an auto so I will be interested in your findings. We now know that we can drill a hole in the rubber if we think it will improve things. Then again, our solid buffer type might be the latest design for all we know.
(TVCOPS is a manual).

soapy
13th January 2011, 10:12
SUDDERZ: Yes, identical to mine. Your handle doesn't say if you have an auto or not. Mine is an auto so I will be interested in your findings. We now know that we can drill a hole in the rubber if we think it will help.
(TVCOPS is a manual).

Mine is manual aswell wuzerk,i'm going to go ahead and do this mod but its going to be a couple of weeks before i can fit it due to working but as soon as i have i will report back with my findings,many thanks to you btw for all your hard work around this,cheers Dave.:D

tvpcop
13th January 2011, 14:05
Thats interesting, i didnt notice the difference. I'd leave the buffer solid and fit it on then see how you find it, if it is a little bit harsh maybe take it off then and drill a hole in the buffer

wuzerk
13th January 2011, 14:13
Since SUDDERZ has a manual too he will probably be ok with the solid buffer but, as you say, he can easily drill out some rubber if necessary.

tvpcop
13th January 2011, 16:02
Since SUDDERZ has a manual too he will probably be ok with the solid buffer but, as you say, he can easily drill out some rubber if necessary.

Wuzerk, interesting you say that, from that do you expect that the auto will be harsher on the mounts than a manual? sorry i know little about the autos? ;)

wuzerk
13th January 2011, 19:20
TVCOP:I am going on the results posted by JULES who has both original petrol and diesel mounts. He did a basic but valid test by comparing the amount of deflection with the same load applied to a rod inserted in the bolt holes. There was a notable difference and the diesel was the stiffer of the two.
That seems logical to me since the diesel engine is heavier than the petrol. I am not sure if the auto box is heavier than the manual box but, since you seem satisfied with your manual using the Mondeo mount i hope that other manual owners will be pleased with theirs. I found the auto diesel to be a bit harsh when in 'Drive' with the footbrake applied but ok when driving. That was after plugging the air gaps in the small end of the Mondeo unit. I think that the horizontal buffers do not allow enough movement, at least on my car which has never had a smooth tickover, and your type with the hole would be better.

tvpcop
13th January 2011, 20:04
Maybe try drilling a hole and see if it makes any difference?

After a few more miles with mine fitted i can notice no real issue, i get maybe a tiny bit more vibration through the pedals but its so slight im sure in a few days i wont even notice.

wuzerk
13th January 2011, 20:43
Yes, i have the option of drilliing the hole but what I am really waiting for is feedback from another auto diesel owner. Having said that I will happily refit my Mondeo unit when the Rover one fails or even before it fails.

RKDE
13th January 2011, 20:53
This is another option http://www.powerflex.co.uk/products/ZT-2671/1.html

tvpcop
13th January 2011, 21:07
Although of course they will fit the diesel, im absolutely certain they wont flex enough for them and they will vibrate like an old tractor

wuzerk
13th January 2011, 21:25
If they are the same ones as sold by Brown and Gammons then they have stated that they are not suitable for diesels.

soapy
22nd January 2011, 16:24
Went and did it tvpcop big thanks to you and wuzerk here plus a description of the results,Dave.:D

http://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=76445

tvpcop
22nd January 2011, 18:13
Glad it worked out for you mate, easy little mod isnt it? ;)

soapy
22nd January 2011, 18:14
Glad it worked out for you mate, easy little mod isnt it? ;)

Yes mate but what a result lot happier with the ride now recommended to all.:bowdown:

flyer_phil
22nd January 2011, 18:34
Ah that's good news indeed. I have been following this with great interest because mine needs changing. So I guess I will be looking for a used Mondeo mount. Lets hope I can get one before they all disappear!

I can add my thanks to all involved, first for the remote thermostat housing and now for the Mondeo mount. It has saved us at least a couple of hundred which is best spent on St Bruno, slippers and Talisker single malt.

By the way does anyone know how much it costs to change the front suspension bushes, and is it difficult?

wuzerk
22nd January 2011, 20:21
Suspension bushes? I am working on that one, using six elastic bands and a cotton reel!

flyer_phil
23rd January 2011, 10:04
Suspension bushes? I am working on that one, using six elastic bands and a cotton reel!

Hmm that's good. Found these on ebay, but they look a bit small. Cheap enough though. http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/6-WOODEN-COTTON-REELS-COTTON-/190491490322?pt=UK_Crafts_Sewing_Supplies_MJ&hash=item2c5a2d7812#ht_500wt_1087

wuzerk
23rd January 2011, 14:12
Nice one Phil!

nehemiah
19th February 2011, 15:20
Hi my 2003 diesel tourer has developed a vibration around 2000rpm. Have had the exhaust checked, isnt that apparently , local garage thought it was air filter box but that seems to be all fine. Is engine mount a likely culprit?I take it I need to get vehicle up on a ramp and take cover off to find out- will deterioration be obvious? Many thanks for any reply

soapy
19th February 2011, 15:36
Hi my 2003 diesel tourer has developed a vibration around 2000rpm. Have had the exhaust checked, isnt that apparently , local garage thought it was air filter box but that seems to be all fine. Is engine mount a likely culprit?I take it I need to get vehicle up on a ramp and take cover off to find out- will deterioration be obvious? Many thanks for any reply

This was the state of my original rover one on removal and yes it did cure my vibration and clunking on accelaration and braking.:)

steveharvey2001
19th February 2011, 19:38

A vibration at 1800-2000RpM on a diesel tourer is most probably coming from the roof (http://forums.mg-rover.org/showthread.php?t=105576) (mine is!). To test this, get a rear seat passenger to push up the roof lining in several places when the noise is present and see if it goes away.

nehemiah
19th February 2011, 20:28
thanks guys will investigate and report back

denis
19th February 2011, 21:12
A vibration at 1800-2000RpM on a diesel tourer is most probably coming from the roof (http://forums.mg-rover.org/showthread.php?t=105576) (mine is!). To test this, get a rear seat passenger to push up the roof lining in several places when the noise is present and see if it goes away.
When I had this problem with my tourer I put somebody on the roof to check it but the local cops got upset when I was driving the high street. Can't think why???

Tractor Boy
3rd March 2011, 07:16
Firstly all credit to Wuzerk who was the first to try this on his Auto, i thought i'd buy one to try on my manual diesel zt.

It cost me £21 posted from a breaker on ebay and is from the mk3 mondeo. It looks like its done tons of miles but the rubber has no cracking at all which i think is due to the better design with the buffers in the void.

First picture is a comparison with an old OEM mount I had in the garage. As you can see the larger bush end is roughly the same width as the OEM mount but the smaller bush end on the Mondeo is far wider
http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y145/partyboy1/DSCF1142.jpg
http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y145/partyboy1/DSCF1141.jpg

Basically to make it fit you need to hacksaw the small bush flat on both sides with the frame.....DONE.
http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y145/partyboy1/DSCF1144.jpg
http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y145/partyboy1/DSCF1145.jpg

I filed it nice and flat afterwards. The large bush end is slightly narrower than the OEM mount so you need a couple of washers with a 12mm hole in the middle to fill the gap between the mount and its bracket (again credit to Wuzerk, he recommended using a dab of superglue to hold the washers in place for re-fitting, works a treat) Then re-fit. Ive only done about 15 miles since but the car feels better to drive. My old mount was breaking and over speed bumps, etc i could feel the engine rocking back and forth. It just feels 'better' in general and like it used to.

All in all im very pleased for 20 quid, and I expect it to last far longer than the OEM mount. Im still interested in how the new Powerflex bushes work on a diesel but I do expect them to be too harsh so this may be the ideal solution for the diesel if you dont want to drop £90 odd quid on a new OEM one.

Cheers,
Graham when using the washer with the 12mm hole, does the washer diameter need to be as big as the mount? I am going to give this a go this morning as I have a rare day off.

wuzerk
3rd March 2011, 07:22
The washer holes must obviously be large enough to allow the bolt to pass through but there are no other special requirements. Glue them to the mount as it will be impossible to fit them if you do not.

Tractor Boy
3rd March 2011, 07:29
Thanks for the quick reply mate, so the washer dont need to be of any certain thickness or diameter except it must have a 12 mm hole in the middle. Thanks, Gary

tvpcop
3rd March 2011, 07:50
Hello mate, I just used a couple of washers either side. They were probably around a mm thick each, just use what you need to fill the gap and as wuzerk says don't forget the superglue ;)

Good luck

Tractor Boy
3rd March 2011, 08:53
Thanks for the help, Im going out to brave the cold now, and doing it on a gravel drive too, I must be mad :shrug:

wuzerk
3rd March 2011, 13:40
TRACTORBOY: I assumed that you had read that the two washers on the large end of the Mondeo mount are necessary because it is narrower than the original Rover item. The aim is to use the washers to attain the same overall thickness. If you use thin washers the bracket will be distorted when you bolt up tight.

Tractor Boy
3rd March 2011, 19:14
TRACTORBOY: I assumed that you had read that the two washers on the large end of the Mondeo mount are necessary because it is narrower than the original Rover item. The aim is to use the washers to attain the same overall thickness. If you use thin washers the bracket will be distorted when you bolt up tight.
Yes, got that mate Its all done now and is like a new car. many thanks for your help.

tvpcop
3rd March 2011, 20:09
Result! glad it worked for you

soapy
3rd March 2011, 20:51
Yes, got that mate Its all done now and is like a new car. many thanks for your help.

Nice one Gary makes a world of difference does'nt it.:}

flyer_phil
7th March 2011, 14:43
Just returned from Andy Willi's at Doncaster for new suspension bushes and also had new Mondeo engine mount fitted.

It fits fine and is certainly a much better component than the original.

It has made only a very slight improvement to noise/vibration etc, however my old one was in quite good condition with only a small split in the large rubber bush. Still I think it was a worthwhile exercise fitting the Mondeo one, for a small cost.

I did take a photo, but have been unable to bluetooth it up to my laptop.

I have an OEM one that is available for anyone who wants to experiment for a nominal fee.

So MOT tomorrow, keeping my fingers crossed.

HarryM1BYT
1st April 2011, 18:52
I've had the occaisional bad judder on dropping the clutch a bit too carefully at low revs, so I have had it in mind to take a quick look at my lower engine mount for a while. it looked fine, until I spotted a slight split in it and got SWMBO to start the engine and stop it a few times. The split opened up wide, so its replacement time for me too.

HarryM1BYT
2nd April 2011, 20:38
I rang around a few of the local scrappies - one suggested £20 and another £25, if I jack the scrap car up and remove it, so thats a no brainer then - £18 from ebay including delivery then :D

HarryM1BYT
5th April 2011, 19:52
I rang around a few of the local scrappies - one suggested £20 and another £25, if I jack the scrap car up and remove it, so thats a no brainer then - £18 from ebay including delivery then :D

The Modeo mount was delivered today, it had the hole in the rubber mentioned earlier and I've fitted it this evening. My original had several cracks in the rubber and I was sometimes getting a bit of judder whilst pulling away. Vibration definately feels less, especially so at the steering wheel at a tick over, plus some of the body noises have also gone whilst on the move at low revs. I wasn't able to provoke a judder at all whilst pulling away - so that's a definate thumbs up.

Could I suggest one improvement to TVCop and Wuzerk's use of the Mondeo mount? I found just trimming the bush of the small end, left the mount's frame in some contact with the bracket on the car, so I ground its width down by about a millimeter at each side of the frame around the 'nose' - leaving the centre bush a little more proud.

If that is not done, only the large rubber bush will be isolating noise and vibration from the chassis.

To save anyone doing this a little time, these are the width measurements of the two big ends, to give a clue as to the thickness of the 12mm washers needed....

Original - 65.28mm
Mondeo - 57.77mm

So 7.51mm /2 = 3.7mm at each side. I have plenty of large washers, but could not find any to make up even close to the correct spacing, so I made some brass ones up on the lathe.

wuzerk
5th April 2011, 20:22
Good result Harry, I did ensure that the small end outer casing was not rubbing on the bracket by adding two extremely thin washers. I would point out to anybody thinking of fitting the Mondeo mount that the Rover item has plastic bushes which the bolts pass through. Since the Mondeo mount doesn't have these bushes which means that the bolts sit in contact with the aluminium centres it would be prudent to coat the bolts with Waxoyl or grease to prevent seizure (since we expect the mount to last a long time)! With regard to the washers required at the large end I used the pieces which you saw off of the small end!

AngryDog
2nd September 2011, 14:41
My mount has gone I believe. Can i just get any mount from a Mk3 mondeo?

Cheers!

spyder
2nd September 2011, 14:46
Yes but it needs to be machined/ground down in a few places. Easy to do, just takes a bit of time. A good second hand one if you can chooses it/see it yourself. I just bought one from a ford agent. The part numbers are on here.

Craig

AngryDog
2nd September 2011, 15:44
Cheers Craig.

may of found on the bay at a nice price so just waiting for a pic!

AngryDog
6th September 2011, 09:03
Got a mount - £15.98 delivered :)

rik007
14th October 2011, 16:47
Hi All, am just about to fit a Mondeo lower mount to my 75 CDT.

So I'm clear on what needs to be modified ..

1. Cut off the small ends of the Mondeo bush either side so they are flush with the ali bracket frame.

2. Keep the bits cut off as they will probably do as washers to pack out the large end bush, as I'll need about 3.7mm spacers in place.

3. Possibly grind back the steel mounting on the car where the small end fits to ensure it doesnt touch the car's body work. So avoiding vibration.

4. QUESTION - Do I need to do an further modification on the Mondeo bracket small end before fitting?

Cheers,

Rich.

spyder
14th October 2011, 17:56
Hi All, am just about to fit a Mondeo lower mount to my 75 CDT.

So I'm clear on what needs to be modified ..

1. Cut off the small ends of the Mondeo bush either side so they are flush with the ali bracket frame.

2. Keep the bits cut off as they will probably do as washers to pack out the large end bush, as I'll need about 3.7mm spacers in place.

3. Possibly grind back the steel mounting on the car where the small end fits to ensure it doesnt touch the car's body work. So avoiding vibration.

4. QUESTION - Do I need to do an further modification on the Mondeo bracket small end before fitting?

Cheers,

Rich.

That about covers it. Have some super-glue ready. I glued the washers on to make it easier when fitting the bolts, upsidedown under the car.

When both units are next to each other, the sizes are quite obvious.

Craig

wuzerk
14th October 2011, 19:01
Re the small end of the Mondeo mount, to my mind it has a lot of flexibility which could lead that end to tear the rubber in the same way that the rover item tears the large end. I did experiment by filling the small end spaces with slices of car inner-tube rubber but it was not conclusive. On the other hand the mount is used on all types of Mondeo and on the Jaguars so it seems ok to leave it as original.

HarryM1BYT
14th October 2011, 21:03

I chose to grind down the alloy of the mount, rather than the bracket on the car.

It doesn't cause a vibration, it thumps as the two strike each other, but only as you drive it. The bracket will make a witness mark on the alloy, a line where it needs the alloy grinding away. There is plenty of 'meat' on the alloy frame, it has much more than the OEM mount frame. All I did was to make sure I didn't grind a notch, but rather rounded it in to aoid creating a stress point in the alloy.

I had limited success with superglueing the washers in place, it was very successful at glueing my fingers to the mount though :D

Thinking about it, a better way is to interleave (sandwich) some thin paper between the layers and glue steel to paper to steel - for better grip. If you wet it slightly once in position, the superglue sets up faster BTW.

Let us know what you think when its done - more or less vibration and etc..

rik007
23rd October 2011, 17:47
Hi Harry, well had a crack at putting in the Mondeo engine bracket. I put the bracket up to the engine and then ran a pencil along where the bracket touched. Then created a notch in two places. Unfortunately I was a little over zealous on one of them but I think all will be well! As you say made them as smooth as possible.

Then found some washers and packed out the car side. I used UHU type glue and this seemed to work quite well. Plus greased the bolts to try to prevent oxidisation.

Oddly the bracket seemed to site slightly skew in the engine bracket. So I have two washers on the passenger side and one on the drivers side. But even so it still a tad wonky.

I think the car is just fine having fitted it. I think it may be worth narrowing the nose of the small end so only the centre barrel tightens op against the engine bracket. I suspect a minor vibration possibly because of this but I'll run the car for a bit a see how we go.

Other than that, for a fairly simple two bolt job and a bit of hacksawing and filing seems like a very good solution.

Thanks for everyones hard work on this thread.

Rich.

PS Curiously, I bought one of a Jaguar advert on Ebay, it was slightly cheaper but exactly the same item even has Ford printed in it. Cost was £20 delivered. Local y scrapy wanted £25.

rik007
25th October 2011, 10:42
OK quick update, I have now driven a few miles with the Mondeo mod mount in place. Car drives sweet as a nut perfect solution to the engine judder I was getting.

I hadnt realised how easily the engine swings about on to top mounts only, so I'm pleased to have got this sorted.

Rich

PS No abnormal vibration noticeable with new mount in place

AngryDog
25th October 2011, 15:00
I really ought to do mine!

wuzerk
25th October 2011, 16:13
RIK, that is a bit more useful info re the fact that your engine swings easily on the top mounts when the lower one is disconnected. Mine is also like that and I took it to mean that the top mounts were in good condition. Other owners have reported that the engine is very stiff to swing.

rik007
25th October 2011, 18:39
RIK, that is a bit more useful info re the fact that your engine swings easily on the top mounts when the lower one is disconnected. Mine is also like that and I took it to mean that the top mounts were in good condition. Other owners have reported that the engine is very stiff to swing.

Hmmm thats very interesting! I was pushing the engine back into position from below ie by the gearbox with one hand when trying to line up the holes for the two bolts to reattach the lower mounting. Whilst it did require a little effort given the weight of the engine I was relieved how easy it was, as I thought I was in trouble when it moved forward 10mm or so without the lower bracket in place; I wasnt sure at that point if it would be easy enough to pull it back in place.

I wonder if the others were moving the engine from the top, in which case it would appear much harder to move as you wouldnt have the leverage advantage you do from underneath?

Rich.

Wuerk, sill hoping to call by sometime... family work etc all get in the way a bit.

wuzerk
26th October 2011, 10:58
Hmmm thats very interesting! I was pushing the engine back into position from below ie by the gearbox with one hand when trying to line up the holes for the two bolts to reattach the lower mounting. Whilst it did require a little effort given the weight of the engine I was relieved how easy it was, as I thought I was in trouble when it moved forward 10mm or so without the lower bracket in place; I wasnt sure at that point if it would be easy enough to pull it back in place.

I wonder if the others were moving the engine from the top, in which case it would appear much harder to move as you wouldnt have the leverage advantage you do from underneath?

Rich.

Wuerk, sill hoping to call by sometime... family work etc all get in the way a bit.

RICH: No problem re a visit I am not planning on moving! Re engine 'swing'
I assume that all owners attempt to move the engine from the bottom as that is where they will be whilst changing the lower mount.

18th April 2012, 18:46
I have just replaced my engine mount (it was ripped to pieces) with the Mondeo one. Good grief what a difference.. all vibration gone and rattles from the interior have gone too.
It's like having a new car.

My local garage did the job for me.:D

jonathan63
9th June 2012, 14:09
Found 1 on ebay but its a jaguar one from an X Type.
says this on the ad
Jaguar X-Type (Petrol) LOWER / REAR ENGINE MOUNT **FREE P+P** ROLL RESTRICTOR

will this be the same as the mondeo mount?

WillyHeckaslike
9th June 2012, 18:40
Yes. Click (http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Jaguar-X-Type-Petrol-LOWER-REAR-ENGINE-MOUNT-FREE-P-P-ROLL-RESTRICTOR-/280847190327?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item4163cc0937)

HarryM1BYT
9th June 2012, 18:47
Found 1 on ebay but its a jaguar one from an X Type.
says this on the ad
Jaguar X-Type (Petrol) LOWER / REAR ENGINE MOUNT **FREE P+P** ROLL RESTRICTOR

will this be the same as the mondeo mount?

It certainly looks the same, good price too!

jonathan63
10th June 2012, 12:35
And there are these new ones at only £22.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/FORD-MONDEO-MK3-00-07-Lower-Engine-Gearbox-Mount-NEW-/200764000493?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item2ebe7788ed

hinged_bap
16th August 2012, 20:44
And there are these new ones at only £22.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/FORD-MONDEO-MK3-00-07-Lower-Engine-Gearbox-Mount-NEW-/200764000493?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item2ebe7788ed

ive just bought one, will report next week if its ok

ceedy
18th August 2012, 12:37
Just fitted on of the New Mondeo mounts to my ZT Cdti auto

Modded the small end outer bush to fit and 2 washers at the back to pack it out .

and

Its terrible ! :(
Slight acceptable vibration increase at tickover in neutral ,

An increase in vibration when running , not so good ..

and In reverse it shakes the car to bits.. everything shudders in reverse when holding on the foot brake.

Hopefully something must be touching, ?
and it can be sorted .

Did check clearances after fitting this..

Maybe 2nd hand ones are a bit softer ?

Going to run it for a few days and then check for any witness marks .

:shrug:

The old mount has a couple of slight splits in the usual places but not too bad for 115,000 miles .

:getmecoat:

hinged_bap
19th August 2012, 09:05
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/FORD-MONDEO-MK3-00-07-Lower-Engine-Gearbox-Mount-NEW-/200783728094?_trksid=p5197.m1992&_trkparms=aid%3D111000%26algo%3DREC.CURRENT%26ao%3 D1%26asc%3D14%26meid%3D1432839416562568343%26pid%3 D100015%26prg%3D1006%26rk%3D1%26
i fitted the mondeo one yesterday, a new part as detailed in post 72. I have a bit more vibration when in reverse and the auto box is trying to edge the car backwards but can't because the brake is on, but other than that, its fine. I'm also going to run mine for a week or so to see if it rights itself.

whippet
29th December 2014, 13:38
Thanks for the info guys, straight forward job, with a bit of grinding and filing, the big improvement is i no longer have any clutch judder, but still get an annoying vibration when accelerating, next step will be to change the Hydramount, ps the old lower engine mount was totally shot with the rubber very badly split.:snowball:

dadragon
29th December 2014, 13:48
whippet, well done buddy, yes the judderless clutch take up is the main improvement my son noticed when we did his on his ZT, it's well worth the effort.:xmas-smiley-024:
Regards DaDragon

wuzerk
29th December 2014, 14:07
As I pointed out a very long time ago the Mondeo mounts vary in that the rubber buffers on some of them are solid rubber where others are hollow. This could account for the different results? They are all listed as suitable for both petrol and diesel Mondeos.

whippet
29th December 2014, 14:12
Hydramount to change next any advice on suppliers of Hydramount ,ATB:noel:

wuzerk
29th December 2014, 14:23
Hydramount to change next any advice on suppliers of Hydramount ,ATB:noel:
DMGRS is cheaper than Rimmer Bros but make sure it is suitable for the diesel.

Anthony & Maricel
29th December 2014, 15:29
Surly will this will invalidate your car insurance, as you are neither using an oem or patterned part intended for a R75-MGZT ?

whippet
29th December 2014, 15:40
Thanks Wuzerk

First_damned
31st January 2015, 15:31
I have just replaced my split bottom engine mount with the mondeo one, at idle it has eliminated all vibrations but im now getting vibrations when driving at certain revs.

What have I done wrong if anything?

HarryM1BYT
31st January 2015, 17:01
I have just replaced my split bottom engine mount with the mondeo one, at idle it has eliminated all vibrations but im now getting vibrations when driving at certain revs.

What have I done wrong if anything?

Through what rev range are you getting vibrations and how are you detecting it? Might you have another engine mount which has failed, like the acorn one which others have reported?

Some have reported vibration along the TAZU copper pipe used on the MKI master cylinder, could it be that?

First_damned
31st January 2015, 18:24
Through what rev range are you getting vibrations and how are you detecting it? Might you have another engine mount which has failed, like the acorn one which others have reported?

Some have reported vibration along the TAZU copper pipe used on the MKI master cylinder, could it be that?

Hi Harry,

sorted it now, on other mondeo mounts one of the rubber bushes at the top of the big bush is hollow, this was solid in mine so it took it off again and drilled a hole in to it to make it hollow and now its alot better.

My acorn hydramount was replaced about a year ago and still looks new so no problems there luckily.

I have got the Tazu mk1 fitted but with a flexi hose so luckily no copper pipe to vibrate.

Thank you

First_damned
31st January 2015, 19:07
As I pointed out a very long time ago the Mondeo mounts vary in that the rubber buffers on some of them are solid rubber where others are hollow. This could account for the different results? They are all listed as suitable for both petrol and diesel Mondeos.

This is true, I just fitted one with the solid buffer and was getting vibrations when driving. I've taken it off and drilled a hole in the bush to make it hollow and its ok now

First_damned
31st January 2015, 19:32
I used a 2mm thick washer on each side of the mount, is this enough?

whippet
31st January 2015, 19:38
As long as the mount is a snug fit between the lugs of the bracket you will be fine,think dimensions are given in earlier posts :}

First_damned
31st January 2015, 19:45
As long as the mount is a snug fit between the lugs of the bracket you will be fine,think dimensions are given in earlier posts :}

There was a slight gap but there was with original mount. If I added another washer to each side it was too thick, and it would just about fit with another washer added to just one side but then it would be off to one side so I just put one washer each side. The bolts done up nice and tight, suppose if there's a couple of mm play the bracket would pull in slightly

First_damned
1st February 2015, 19:50
I've got vibrations still when accelerating sometimes. Will see how it goes, as no vibrations at idle now