PDA

View Full Version : Fitting replacement Power Vis

ashb
13th January 2011, 06:27
Have changed my power vis, but since changing it my manifold has started rattling the butterfly (?) rod is tight.

It seems like the locating 'pin' on the power vis is'nt sitting into the rod correctly. Has anyone else had problems with this? I've tried to line it up with eye but when you drop the new vis in you can't see anything!

SuperHeavy1203
13th January 2011, 09:20
Something similar happend to me a few weeks back.

I reset the VIS motor before offering it up to the manifold, simply plug the wiring connector on to the VIS motor and you should hear the motor and see the peg move as it resets.

Then position the VIS 'rod' in the manifold so the socket/slot is fully over to the drivers side.

It should all then fit togther and you should feel the peg fit firmly into the rod/socket.

Have you cleaned out the VIS motor?
I think the cam on the nylon wheel should be between the two switches. This forms an open circuit as each switch is open. When you connect the multiplug the VIS should reset?

This is what I've done and all is working just as it should.

ashb
13th January 2011, 10:05
Thanks for the reply.

It looks like everything lines up okay (and its a new vis motor), i don't think the peg is quite locating correctly into the rod. When fitting it last night i managed to get it located and no rattle (after a few attempts) then after a drive its rattling again.

I guess i need to try and clean the end of the rod, and maybe try a little grease to ease things into place.

SuperHeavy1203
13th January 2011, 10:07
try WD40...you dont want anything 'gooey' getting into the VIS butterflies

SuperHeavy1203
13th January 2011, 10:09
Thanks for the reply.

It looks like everything lines up okay (and its a new vis motor), i don't think the peg is quite locating correctly into the rod. When fitting it last night i managed to get it located and no rattle (after a few attempts) then after a drive its rattling again.

I guess i need to try and clean the end of the rod, and maybe try a little grease to ease things into place.

Did you buy the one on E-Bay the other week? I was after that one!!!! lol

SuperHeavy1203
16th January 2011, 19:42
How did yuou get on as mine has popped out again?!?!?!?

Am I missing something?
Is there a method/trick to make sure the rod and VIS motor peg stay connected?

Thanks,

Andy.

stocktake
16th January 2011, 19:49
No Secret method, as said, pull the brown rod across to the drivers side, plug the VIS in and it will reset so the peg is to the drivers side. All fits to gether with very little effort.

Whilst you have the VIS motor out, check the operation of the brown arm in the manifold, nice firm side to side action with no play up and down. Any up and down movement is wear and not good.

SuperHeavy1203
16th January 2011, 20:08
Cheers, thanks for that.

No movement except the normal travel? ? ?

Mr Edd
17th January 2011, 07:24
Sombody made a tester for the VIS motors. Are these for sale or was this just a one off?

Edd

ashb
17th January 2011, 12:05
I really struggled to get my new (from rimmers) power vis to fit, it kept fouling the edge of the rod and not sitting in correctly.

Eventually after a fair bit of fiddling managed to get it sitting correctly, took it out again yesterday to check it was still in place and it slotted in first time!

Mr Edd, i borrowed the clubs vis tester, if your a full member they will post it out to you for the cost of postage (£3.50 + same again to return it)

438brad
18th January 2011, 17:43
I've just changed the power vis on mine. Now getting a strange whistle whilst accelerating above 4000rpm in any gear from under the bonnet. Any ideas?:confused:

ashb
18th January 2011, 17:53
I've just changed the power vis on mine. Now getting a strange whistle whilst accelerating above 4000rpm in any gear from under the bonnet. Any ideas?:confused:

Not sure, did you fit a new seal to the vis motor?

stocktake
18th January 2011, 17:56
Not sure, did you fit a new seal to the vis motor?
If you forget the seal you are rewarded with a tickover of around 2500 rpm :o

438brad
18th January 2011, 18:05
I used the old seal and the tickover seems fine.:shrug:

stocktake
18th January 2011, 18:07
I used the old seal and the tickover seems fine.:shrug:

Yup, as far as I know infinately reusable, only problem is if you forget to fit one, as I have found out, too many times :o :o :D

438brad
18th January 2011, 18:09
Could the seal possibly not be seated correctly and this is causing an air leak at higher revs?

stocktake
18th January 2011, 18:13
Could the seal possibly not be seated correctly and this is causing an air leak at higher revs?

Wouldn't have thought so, having re read the thread it is possible the VIS you have fitted is faulty and is stuck in a psition that aids high rev performance but not quite in the right place. You need a proven Power VIS really.

438brad
18th January 2011, 18:21
Wouldn't have thought so, having re read the thread it is possible the VIS you have fitted is faulty and is stuck in a psition that aids high rev performance but not quite in the right place. You need a proven Power VIS really.

I'm going to have a go at repairing my old vis motors now i've got 2 more in need of repair. The car definately goes better with this replacement power vis than with my old one though.

Mr Edd
18th January 2011, 23:33
Mr Edd, i borrowed the clubs vis tester, if your a full member they will post it out to you for the cost of postage (£3.50 + same again to return it)

Thanks for that. I'd forgotten about that service. I thought that perhaps someone was selling the gizmo. I don't really need one as I put a new Inlet Manifold on about two years ago and the VIS motors still seem to be working okay. Just thought it would be a good time to test them.

Thanks I will borrow the tester when the weather warms up a bit.

Edd