PDA

View Full Version : Diesel V belt

man of kent
13th January 2011, 08:46
Reading the difficulty in changing the V belt, the question is "shall I cahnge mine" when its only done 58K. The change interval in Haynes says 90K. Its even some work taking the wheelhouse liner out in getting in to see it! Also at the extraordinary high prices of the belts, I dont want to waste cash.

Has anybody any feedback on belt condition at lower mileages.

Jakg
13th January 2011, 09:03
Do you mean the aux drive belt? When I was getting my service done the garage said there wasn't much point - 90k was under-rated anyway, and long before it snapped it would start to make a squealing noise.

ceedy
13th January 2011, 09:35
My Aux belt shredded and Broke at 88k miles, :shrug:.

the only time the ZT has let me down .

( only 2 miles from home though!).

C.. :getmecoat:

chris_h
13th January 2011, 11:16
My belt has done 152k miles and still looks sound. I took it off to do the pas 10k miles ago and refitted again as it look nearly as good as new. So if it were me I would leave it if it looks ok.

Jules
13th January 2011, 11:20
Reading the difficulty in changing the V belt, the question is "shall I cahnge mine" when its only done 58K. The change interval in Haynes says 90K. Its even some work taking the wheelhouse liner out in getting in to see it! Also at the extraordinary high prices of the belts, I dont want to waste cash.

Has anybody any feedback on belt condition at lower mileages.

Good for 130k PLUS !
They still work long after the small cracks start appearing in the small ribs.

My Aux belt shredded and Broke at 88k miles, :shrug:.

"Clocked" before you got it maybe :eek:

tvpcop
13th January 2011, 14:04
Mine had done 110K im assuming on the original, i recently changed it as the engine was a little noisy.....all quiet now, worth doing although i agree, my old belt could probably do another 50K from looking at it

HarryM1BYT
13th January 2011, 16:33
The shorter alternator belt seems to suffer the most and to replace that, you have to remove the other one first anyway. For piece of mind and for what little they cost, fit new when or before due.

man of kent
13th January 2011, 16:52
Thats comforting that they do big miles and you guys have save me some cash. My diesel is an auto so that takes all the shock load out of the engine and belt so should do big miles. I'll take a look at them next time I'm under the wheelarch or check approaching the 90k.

Jules
13th January 2011, 17:10
The shorter alternator belt seems to suffer the most and to replace that, you have to remove the other one first anyway. For piece of mind and for what little they cost, fit new when or before due.

You mean the compressor belt Harry :cool:

Thomas
15th January 2011, 22:57
Kept asking myself the same question, keep checking and at just over 100k agree with everyone else the originals still look like new so I shall just keep monitoring them!

HarryM1BYT
16th January 2011, 08:22
You mean the compressor belt Harry :cool:

I did, sorry :getmecoat:

My compressor belt was in a very sorry state when I changed it at 95k, but I suppose had it snapped it would not have left me stranded. The main belt looked in fair condition.

To check the condition of the belts, you needs to grip it in the middle of a long run and twist it to see the cracks in the V's.

FLYER
16th January 2011, 09:42
false economy not to change it at 90k.
Mine shredded at 106k on of all places the road from york to whitby thus stranding me , a whole day ruined as I was in convoy at a yorkshire meet.
nationwide autocentres fitted one in an hr for 93 quid all in .