PDA

View Full Version : Cleaning coolant expansion tank

ja3142
13th January 2011, 16:20
Do you think it is possible to detach the expansion tank, give it a good clean and put it back without having to vacuum fill or bleed the system?

I was thinking of syringing out the coolant in the tank (cold obviously), clamping up the bottom hose and lifting out the tank, clean replace and top up.

The state of the coolant is now much better after the engine had a second flush and I think the muck that's left is residue on the inside of the bottle.

I've used a pipette to draw out the oily stuff off the top and what is underneath looks very clean.

Jonathan

kaiser
13th January 2011, 17:12
Yes!.......

ja3142
13th January 2011, 17:53
That's what I like. Why waste words...?

cheers

Jonathan

8511swann
13th January 2011, 18:02
I find that cheap diet-cola is good for cleaning expansion tanks, as too are dishwasher tablets!.

SD1too
13th January 2011, 19:01
Do you think it is possible to detach the expansion tank, give it a good clean and put it back without having to vacuum fill or bleed the system?
Jonathan,

If you're prepared to detach the expansion tank for cleaning, then bleeding the system involves only removing a plug from a coolant hose; the simplest of operations! :} It will also be much quicker than using a syringe.

So:

Drain cooling system and recover coolant.
Remove expansion tank. Clean with cola, dishwasher tablet, washing soda solution or Gunk.
Connect hoses to tank, refill cooling system & bleed following MG Rover method.

Easy! And no syringes necessary! :D

Simon.

ja3142
14th January 2011, 08:05
Yes, that is tempting. But having had HGF I'm a bit reluctant to do anything too drastic.

I was reserving a drain and replace for a few weeks time when I see how much gunk (if any) is left in the system, and when I had got a bit of confidence from fiddling with the tank.

T-Cut
14th January 2011, 15:45
I find that cheap diet-cola is good for cleaning expansion tanks, as too are dishwasher tablets!.

They're probably one and the same!

I know genuine CocaCola contains phosphoric acid, which will take the enamel off yer teeth. It also brightens up old pennies.
Coca-Cola: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Coca-Cola#Ingredients

Anybody have a better recipe for this? My tank looks quite coated with something, can't imagine what tho.

TC

kaiser
14th January 2011, 17:45
I tried cleaning an old Rover 2.6 engine with stuff we have down here, called Deoxidene. That is wonderful stuff, shines and cleans metals and literally makes rust vanish into thin air!
After leaving it in there for a bit long, I got plenty white pieces of aluminium oxide? coming out with the flush. The engine is certainly clean.

I would imagine that half a block of dishwashing tablet would be about the best you can do for cleaning the inside of the cooling system. It works well with plastic, metal, rubber and what else you stuff in the diswasher, and it cleans! Maybe some of the clothes washing powders with enzymes will as well, they work wonders in really dirty saucers removing grease and burnt residues in a good soak, they can do that even at low temperatures.

If I needed to flush, I would do one of the above the day before.
Just what you would need if there are old deposits in the cooling system.

Lost Soul
14th January 2011, 17:59
Any one got a pic of the coolant hose plug per chance?

T-Cut
14th January 2011, 21:09
I tried cleaning an old Rover 2.6 engine with stuff we have down here, called Deoxidene.

Also a phosphoric acid based de-ruster/metal cleaner.
Made by Henkel: http://www.henkelna.com/cps/rde/xchg/SID-2BEEB7AA-AF57C517/henkel_us/hs.xsl/full-product-list-7932.htm?iname=Deoxidine+182B&countryCode=us&BU=industrial&parentredDotUID=productfinder&redDotUID=0000000IHA&param1=technical

So Cola is on the right track!

Dishwasher detergent is mainly sodium metasilicate (quite alkaline to break down fatty stuff). I found this does remove some deposit from the tank, but doesn't leave it like new. I tried citric acid which removes lime scale, but the powdery deposits persist.

TC

rrobson
14th January 2011, 21:18
why dont you just wait for the engine to use all the water in the expansion tank, then you wont have to drain any out :D :getmecoat:

what you can do is get a hose clamp, and clamp the outlet hose to stop any coolant going anywhere. there wont be much in the expansion tank so you can either try and save it of let it run out.

as for cleaning, there are baffle plates or seperators inside the bottle, along with numerous fins, so the cola idea isnt a bad one. just be sure to fill the bottle to get everywhere. a pressure washer would only clean the bit you can see, as it wouldnt move through the bottle with the seperators. other than than, vinegar or something slightly stronger would do the job, but the bottle wouldnt smell great, unless you like the smell of vinegar :D

Clickernick
14th January 2011, 23:23
I tried cleaning an old Rover 2.6 engine with stuff we have down here, called Deoxidene. That is wonderful stuff, shines and cleans metals and literally makes rust vanish into thin air!
After leaving it in there for a bit long, I got plenty white pieces of aluminium oxide? coming out with the flush. The engine is certainly clean.

I would imagine that half a block of dishwashing tablet would be about the best you can do for cleaning the inside of the cooling system. It works well with plastic, metal, rubber and what else you stuff in the diswasher, and it cleans! Maybe some of the clothes washing powders with enzymes will as well, they work wonders in really dirty saucers removing grease and burnt residues in a good soak, they can do that even at low temperatures.

If I needed to flush, I would do one of the above the day before.
Just what you would need if there are old deposits in the cooling system.

Indeed, our renowned Lates here in the UK uses a proprietry washing powder solution to clean out contaminated cooling systems. A strong solution is knocked up in a bucket and added to the cooling system. This will emulsify any oil residue left in the cooling rails, pipes and radiator systems. The only downside is that it will need up to 4 complete flushes to eradicate the washing powder enzymes from the engine etc. This will take quite a while as you have to fill, run up to temp, allow to cool, drain and repeat.

Engine smells lovely after as well!! :D

ja3142
15th January 2011, 10:32
I am going to have a go next week, so I will take some pictures and let everyone know how it goes.
When does maintenance become obsession?

SD1too
15th January 2011, 11:23
When does maintenance become obsession?
When you have a car produced in relatively low numbers which is good and interesting enough to spark an emotional bond. :D

Simon.

kaiser
15th January 2011, 13:02
Switch off after the rinse cycle!!

You don't need drying!:D

kaiser
15th January 2011, 13:12
Also a phosphoric acid based de-ruster/metal cleaner.
Made by Henkel: http://www.henkelna.com/cps/rde/xchg/SID-2BEEB7AA-AF57C517/henkel_us/hs.xsl/full-product-list-7932.htm?iname=Deoxidine+182B&countryCode=us&BU=industrial&parentredDotUID=productfinder&redDotUID=0000000IHA&param1=technical

So Cola is on the right track!

Dishwasher detergent is mainly sodium metasilicate (quite alkaline to break down fatty stuff). I found this does remove some deposit from the tank, but doesn't leave it like new. I tried citric acid which removes lime scale, but the powdery deposits persist.

TC
Deoxidene is based on some acid as well, I can't for the life of me remember which, at the moment. I will look it up.

If you live in Germany, Holland etc, nip down to the Rhine, and take a fill from there.
That will clear the cooling system!
The engine and the front suspension!!:}

T-Cut
15th January 2011, 17:22
Deoxidene is based on some acid as well, I can't for the life of me remember which, at the moment. I will look it up.

Originally Posted by T-Cut http://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/images/buttons/viewpost.gif (http://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?p=651278#post651278)
(Deoxidine) Also a phosphoric acid based de-ruster/metal cleaner.
Made by Henkel: http://www.henkelna.com/cps/rde/xchg...ram1=technical (http://www.henkelna.com/cps/rde/xchg/SID-2BEEB7AA-AF57C517/henkel_us/hs.xsl/full-product-list-7932.htm?iname=Deoxidine+182B&countryCode=us&BU=industrial&parentredDotUID=productfinder&redDotUID=0000000IHA&param1=technical)Must pay attention.

TC