PDA

View Full Version : CDt automatic gearbox problem

StyvyIE
13th January 2011, 22:34
Hi All,

Number of questions:

My problem started way before i bought the car. Any time i am taking off the car jumps its alright till 100km then cars rpms jumps but the car doesn't move if I let the foot of the accelerator and push it again flies till 160 no probs.
I have recently changed the oil to texaco n402 but I have a feeling there is not enough.

Number of questions:

1) How many litters does it take if you drain it dry.
is it 8L? each time I have added more it became better but still not great. so far 7.5L was put it but I am too reluctant to put more.
2) When I bought the car the engine tie rod was in bits and car violently jerked in every gear with oil change it decreased but still jerking taking off after 2000rpm in 1,2 2,3.
3) Whats the engine specs?
Is it Jatco JF506E?
4) I dint get any error from dash so far. Is it possible its an issue with ecu?
5) Any good places in republic of ireland for automatic gearbox repairs?

Thanks,
Styvy

Matt1960
14th January 2011, 12:07
The gearbox holds about 8 litres, but you will only be able to drain about and often less than half of that.
Overfilling will cause all kind of problems.
There is a level plug on the bottom of the gearbox, sometimes an allen key and sometimes a 14mm hex.
If you have too much fluid in, run the car so that the gearbox fluid is at approx 40c, often a 10 mile run will do it, put a container underneath and open the level plug. Make sure the car is completely level. Keep the engine running in P.

Matt

James.uk
14th January 2011, 12:27
It does sound as though your problem is that the oil level is wrong.. I doubt your gearbox is faulty.. :shrug:

On an auto selecting 2nd on starting will only limit the box to using 1st and 2nd, it wont pull away in 2nd unless you use the snow mode..

You will never get it to pull away in 3rd 4th or 5th.. It is not designed to do that..

FLYER
14th January 2011, 12:33
if I am reading your first post right you took out half the fluid (about 4.5 litres) and put in 7.5 litres ???? If so you have well overfilled the box.
It holds around 8 litres but half of that comes out and the rest is held in the workings of the box.

wuzerk
14th January 2011, 14:11
DO NOT UNDO ANY THING ON THE SIDES OF THE BOX. The large drain plug is on the bottom and SO IS THE LEVEL PLUG. If you undo a bolt on the side of the box you will lose reverse gear. Go for a ten mile run and then, with car level,and engine running, put gear selector through all positions and leave in neutral while you undo the level plug (usually a 5mm Allen key) you will find it near the end of the spring on the selector cable. when the oil stops coming out you should be ok. The fluid JF403E is readily available.

StyvyIE
17th January 2011, 10:45
Thanks all for the advice will check the level again tomorrow.