PDA

View Full Version : KV6 Engines

McNeillie
14th January 2011, 22:02
Can anyone tell me if KV6 engines are fully interchangeable?

My car is a ZT-T 180 Auto 2.5 litre

The engine has been overheated and I want to swop it.

I keep finding KV6 2.0 and 2.5 Rover 75 engines and even KV6 Freelander and Rover 825 KV6 engines.

Are all these interchangeable?

Are they interchangeable Auto to Manual? or Manual to Auto?

What would I need to swap with them such as ECUs etc.

Not bothered about power so a 2.0 litre at about 150 bhp would be OK.

Should I try and get the engine and gearbox together?

Any ideas would be appreciated.

Thanks

mantianak
15th January 2011, 07:06
no idea about the gearbox but I'm aware that other members have had other engines installed. I think there are a few differences like the 190 KV6 has different cams, ecu, etc. The gear ratio's are likely to be different in all the engines too. But from what I've read in various places it is possible.

The rover 825 is the older KV6 engine. Don't think you'll want to try fitting that one.

And I could be wrong but I think the only major differnce with the 2.0 is the stroke of the engine. But I would go for a 2.5 to be honest.

rossocorsa
15th January 2011, 08:55
825 kv6 is substantially different and very prone to HGF

rrobson
15th January 2011, 10:01
dont see why gearboxes wont be interchangable, but i think the flywheels are different from auto to manual. also, as said the cams are different but iirc, you can simply change the head over between the two engines. the engine in yours is the same ans the one in the 190, but slightly de-tumed (cant remember how)

if your not doing it yourself, an engine swap could be quite expensive, and would be as difficult to change the headgasket etc. the standard engines should go straight in, especially if you find an auto one, but im not sure if the gearboxes are different between rover and mg. would surely be interchangable though???

Platemaker
15th January 2011, 10:04
There is no difference between an automatic and manual engine.

The drive plate/flywheel need changing to suit, the end of the crank is the same no matter what gearbox is fitted.

stocktake
15th January 2011, 11:11
Bottom mount on the ZS is slightly different from the 75. the 75 has a simple bolt hole where as the ZS houses a rubber bush, nothing that cannot be tackled.
i fitted the ZS kv6 manual engine to my auto 75, used all the original wiring, crank sensor is in a different position so watch out for that one ;). flywheels as Messanger has said are the same. :)

SD1too
15th January 2011, 11:28
The engine has been overheated and I want to swop it.
Sorry to digress Ian, but why can't the engine you've got be repaired? :shrug:

Simon.

Jules
15th January 2011, 11:45
One difference I noticed recently is the main Oil cooler.

On early 75 KV6 (guessing here pre 2001?)
Oil cooler is cylindrical and has much larger water pipes (as big as top hose!!)

Later cooler is a a flatter oblong shape with the 20mm water pipes connected.

The unions into the Oil filter housing look the same so your cooler could be swapped over, however.................think you might have to swap the sump over as well (cooler mounting holes different locations)

Good luck with your search.
Have you asked Messenger? (Corin)