PDA

View Full Version : Wet Floor

adam3729
15th January 2011, 11:22
Hello all, I have a problem with water entering the car from somewhere i cannot find. Under the carpets is swimming. I thought that I had fixed the problem when i fixed the drainage for the sunroof, however after last nights rain it was swimming again. I have also been under bonnet to check that the drainage holes on the bulk head were clear, these were clear. I am just at a loss wherelse the water could be coming from. Anyone have any idea where else the water could enter?

adam3729
15th January 2011, 12:20
Just read on another thread that there are 4 drains for the sunroof, I only fixed the two front ones. Where are the other drains located?

HarryM1BYT
15th January 2011, 12:45
I think I'm correct with this one...

Last weekend, sorting out my HK amp in the boot, I came across a corrugated pipe just forward of it which plugged into a socket to pass through the boot floor. I can't imagine it being anything else.

Ease the boot side liners out, working from the lamp clusters forwards, as you near the rear wheel mudguards, you should spot the black plastic pipe.

adam3729
15th January 2011, 13:09
Thanks for that Harry, I shall have a look.

Do you know off any access points for water to access the front and rear footwells? I forgot to mention earlier that the problem is on the drivers side.

stocktake
15th January 2011, 13:37
Adam,
Have you checked your plenums are dry?

adam3729
15th January 2011, 15:30
Just removed the plenums to find out the they have been removed before and had the ends trimmed to avoid blockage. They were dry.

stocktake
15th January 2011, 15:45
Hi Adam, that sounds like the upper plenums you are talking about, have you checked the lower plenum drains below the ECU?. These are the important ones. a blockage here can flood the ECU with water and result in a costly repair bill as well as a soaked carpet.

If you have checked these then we can discount them and move on to other possible causes.

If the carpet is showing water then you will have around 5 litres of water each side ( drivers and passenger side).

adam3729
15th January 2011, 16:18
Hello Dave,

The plenums i checked are the upper ones like you said, however when I looked down where the brake servo is it was clear of leaves and was dry. The passenger side carpets aredry, its just the drivers side that's affected.

stocktake
15th January 2011, 17:54
If you are CERTAIN the lower plenum drains are clear then we can eliminate them, there is a grommet from memory on the plenum wall, if the plenum is not draining out correctly these do have a tendency to leak water into the cab ( there are 2 drains in the lower plenum, one under the servo very hard to see from above the car) and one below the ecu on the passenger side, you have as you say checked the front Sunroof drains. Rear drains go out through the boot floor so they would show as wet boot carpet.

Moving on:
From under the car with the engine running and the aircon on and running, check there is airflow from the two aircon drains. if not the moisture may not be able to escape and can run into the cab, this usually shows on both sides of the car though.

Next things to check are the retaining clips that hold the scuttle plate clips in place. these are a blind hole but if they are loose in the fixing then they will let water in.

if all this is OK you are then in the realms of screen leaking or in one instance that we know of a crack in the bodywork. (that was passenger side)

adam3729
16th January 2011, 11:44
Hello Dave, checked all of the above and they all look fine. I had a look at the sunroof drainage pipe the runs into the bulk head and noticed that the pipe was not very secure. I had previously siliconed it but obviously
not very well. I have now resealed the pipe, maybe this could have been the problem. I will keep an eye on it and hopefully next time it rains it will be ok.

ja3142
16th January 2011, 20:56
I have had exactly the same thing. In the end I put a bead of silicon round the drainage pipe and forced it into the grommet and then secured it with a cable tie. Believe me you will not succeed in drying out the carpet unless you take it out. I tried for several days with a fan heater under the carpet. Just ended up melting the heater hose!