PDA

View Full Version : clutch problem

spider.s3
15th January 2011, 19:54
hi all and happy new year.

i have found it is getting harder to change and select gear on my 75. went out today in it and found the clutch pedal travell was not right. it feels like its not biting till i have pushed it over 1/2 way. i looked at the brake fluid and it was fine, would you say the clutch is on its way out or the slave cylinder. or could it be somthing else.

its a 2003 Rover 75 Diesel

many thanks Martin

sof007
15th January 2011, 20:03
I had a similar problem and symptoms and for me the problem was the master clutch cylinder but it could still be the slave. I could see leakage around my master cylinder and it was the only part of the clutch hydraulic system that hadn't been changed.

some people suggest that if there is a probelm with the slave cylinder then there could be dot4 fluid on the under tray.

Other that this it's a matter of doing one and if there's stilll an issue then its the other!!

in the meantime however, try bleeding the clutch. It'll bring your clutch back to normal for while but doesn't solve the problem, just puts off the need to get the hands really dirty for a while.

Mike Noc
15th January 2011, 22:42
hi all and happy new year.

i have found it is getting harder to change and select gear on my 75. went out today in it and found the clutch pedal travell was not right. it feels like its not biting till i have pushed it over 1/2 way. i looked at the brake fluid and it was fine, would you say the clutch is on its way out or the slave cylinder. or could it be somthing else.

its a 2003 Rover 75 Diesel

many thanks Martin

Martin have you been looking at the Haynes manual? They state that the brake and clutch hydraulics share the same fluid reservoir, but sadly they don't.

Clutch master cylinder is under the dash. You get to it by taking the panel under the steering wheel off followed by the panel above the pedals.

Could be loss of fluid level in the clutch master cylinder, a leaking slave cylinder or what I have got which appears to be air getting into the system as the level is good but needs bleeding every now and again to restore it back to how it should be.

Still haven't got to the bottom of it, but it isn't losing any fluid.

Mike