PDA

View Full Version : Tail light problems!

marley
16th January 2011, 12:12
Hello a few days ago, I noticed a bulb failure in the dashboard display. When it finally stopped raining! I had a look. It seemed to be the rear drivers side tail light was out. The brake light substituted for the tail light.......so I bought a couple of new bulbs.no joy!
After "messing about"! I discovered that if the brake light was removed, then the tail light would light up? However as soon as the brake light was put back in,then the tail light would go out, and the brake light would go back on?!
I bought new brake light bulbs and tried them.same problem!
I swapped bulbs from both sides with the same result! Basically if the brake light was removed, then the tail light would work.but as soon as the brake light was replaced the tail light goes off and the brake light on!
Im rubbish with electrics! (and most other stuff really!) . So any suggestions please? I was going to buy another "lights holder"! (is that what they are called?) and just simply plug it in? Or is it likely to be a short or something and the fault just repeat itself?
Ive tried cleaning the contact points (werent dirty or corroded anyway!) and "gently" squeezing the bulb holders together!

p.s. Has anybody got a spare "bulbs holder!? (or whatever they are called!) if that is what I need? Cheers guys!

capese21
16th January 2011, 15:40
The 75 and ZT has a way of turning one bulb on if one has blown. eg if the tail light had blown it would illuminate the brake light. It sounds from what you say that might be what you are seeing happen.

Most faults are caused by poor earths so check these. Think how many times you see old Fords whoose indicators light up when braking!!

Replace all suspect bulbs and then see what happens but not with one removed.

Ed.:}

marley
16th January 2011, 16:32
The 75 and ZT has a way of turning one bulb on if one has blown. eg if the tail light had blown it would illuminate the brake light. It sounds from what you say that might be what you are seeing happen.

Most faults are caused by poor earths so check these. Think how many times you see old Fords whoose indicators light up when braking!!

Replace all suspect bulbs and then see what happens but not with one removed.

Ed.:}
Cheers for that! I suspect it must be a bad earth, as I was playing around! (ie. swapping bulbs/changing for new! this morning!). Ill have another look tomorrow morning if this blooody rain stops for 30 minutes! lol!

r44712
22nd March 2011, 12:26
Where's the rear earth strap, would it be on the passenger side in the boot, perchance?

I've got a brake light that 'fails' every now and again and miracously starts working after a few days again (the filiment is intact)...

Mr Edd
22nd March 2011, 12:32
I had a similar problem a couple of years ago. Eventually cured it by giving the bulb holders a slight squeeze so that the gripped the bulbs a bit tighter. Not had any problems since.

Edd

Trophy Blue Tourer
22nd March 2011, 13:06
Just a thought!

Try swaping the bulb holder/compleate lamp unit over (temp of course!) and see if it does the same on the other side?

If not then you know the lamp holder is ok and it must be a wiring or (ecu) light switch fault (double check by fitting the"good" bulb holder/bulbs to the faulty side if the previously "good" units faults then it must be confined to that side of the vehicle) if the fault transfers with the bulb holder then it must be a bulb/bulb holder fault I guess!

If the fault does transfer then itll probably be a bad earth although bulbs can often go faulty in strange ways so dont rule them out!!

HTH?

Andy

marley
22nd March 2011, 16:18
I forgot about this post! Basically I checked the bulbs etc, even bought another bulb holder..no joy! Ah well I thought Ill leave it for the M.O.T. and service! Turned out to be a number plate light bulb! (at least I presume it was that! as the car "failed" the M.O.T on that!
So I presume that was the cause.....as its been fine ever since!
(Im sure I checked those bulbs too though?!)>

capese21
22nd March 2011, 21:23
It seemed to be the rear drivers side tail light was out.

Perhaps you had not turned the switch in the car on? it needs to be clicked one stop to the right for the lights to stand a chance of illuminating:D

Ed.

r44712
24th March 2011, 14:50
I had a similar problem a couple of years ago. Eventually cured it by giving the bulb holders a slight squeeze so that the gripped the bulbs a bit tighter. Not had any problems since.

Edd

Good thought that, I was thinking of taking the bulb out and giving it (and the holder) a clean with some meths.

Try swaping the bulb holder/compleate lamp unit over (temp of course!) and see if it does the same on the other side?

Good thought there. This will be my second check if the above fails. I'm just wary of removing the rear clusters on the Tourer having discovered that my driver's side one was held on with mastic a while back (has beem properly fixed since)!!! I wonder what's behind the other one!