PDA

View Full Version : lots of water under my rear seat?

bensurf
16th January 2011, 18:52
Hi all,
I removed my rear seat bench to change the fuel pump earlier today and there were pools of water in the recesses under the rear bench. Also the rear seat base foam was soaked through. My boot was a bit wet too.
where is this water likely to be coming from?
can someone advise please?

Martynp
16th January 2011, 19:04
See you are a new poster here, Welcome
Have you checked your plennum chamber for water (should be dry) before your Engine Computer unit ECU drowns?
Water here in any depth will end up under all of your carpets

trikey
16th January 2011, 19:06
Rear light seals, remove the rear light clusters, and 'repair' the torn seals with silicone.

Rob.W
16th January 2011, 19:12
is it a tourer been doing mine today it was the side vents and trims

do you park on a hill could run under the seats should check mine for that

hope this helps rob

Parker
16th January 2011, 19:14
Check the side trims are secure,give then a gentle tighten up and check for any water ingress, a dab of silicone helps around the fastenings will cure any problems if found. Light clusters is a good one,remove them and check for splits,repair as necessary and swap left with right for good measure, again silicone works wonders here too.

Plenums is sound advice but I doubt that will be the cause of under the rear seat being wet, but all the same they need checking so do a search and check them out.

Window seals is another area for consideration.

Hope you find the source, good luck and welcome to the club.

Martynp
16th January 2011, 19:23
Plennum info---
Click on STICKY at top of this Technical forum "Have a problem---try here first"
Read sticky info posted by Dragrad

Water from plennum was first noticed by myself in rear passenger footwell before I knew of this plennum problem

Of course it could also be other areas mentioned but none so important as the flooding plennum due to drains choked with leaves etc

Tam
16th January 2011, 19:46
Mine was the sunroof drain, only noticed the water when a puddle formed on the carpet beside the bolts holding the seatbelt on. Managed to get my hand down below the air vents under front seats and with a sponge soaked up loads of water. Gave up after a while though as it was an endless job so had to take out front seat and lift the carpet to dry it out, surprising amount of water to say the least !.

http://lh3.ggpht.com/_kZcpAoXcblk/Spghoj4sJuI/AAAAAAAABYU/tSrtYCbaQdU/s640/DSC01438.JPG

stocktake
16th January 2011, 19:53
Hmmm......Some people seem to be misreading the OP. As i read it the water is NOT apparent under the rear carpets, it is present under the rear seat. this would indeed suggest rear light seals, rear chrome waist trim or side vents :) In this case plenum flooding is not the cause ;)

Martynp
16th January 2011, 20:03
You are probably correct stocktake!
New poster however----may not be aware of the critical plennum drains----now he is!

stocktake
16th January 2011, 20:06
Very true and good advice is always welcome ;)

bensurf
16th January 2011, 20:28
Thanks for all the advice so far!

Blimy - it seems these cars leak alot!

the carpets are not wet, but there was a pool under the rear seat. and some in the boot under the spare wheel.

so i should check the rear lights.... what exactly am i looking for?

and what are the other areas i should look for?

thanks everso!

I grew up with Rovers as my father was a director at the Cowley plant. When i was a kid he always had company cars every 6 month or so,
SD1s, 800's and 75's just before they moved the production to cowley and he started having BMW's :(
I have a strange amount of love for Rovers now - I'm sure its to do with my memories of being so excited as a kid when dad came home with a new company car.... Nostalgia i guess!
Anyway I have had a few Rovers now, and this is my second 75, well i has a zt before... I loke the interior much more than the zt - its a really nice place to be.

I just need to get this water problem sorted so i can start enjoying her.

Thanks for all the help so far chaps!

Ben

Rob.W
17th January 2011, 07:22
Hi Ben its a 75 saloon i take it. you had zt t i your profile before

things to look out for are

Rear light cluster seals need to remove the light units and check the seals if split or broken replace or use silicone sealant to bed them back in.

Rear boot side vents a very good thread shows this on here can some link it for me (still learning:o) again more silicone sealant to do this.

Rear chrome side trims check if loose or broken clips and more silicone, sealant best to get new clips if removing and re-seating

as a saloon the rear window see if clips broken i have a tourer so don't know much about this one

have a search through the treads lots of info on all this floating about

thanks rob