PDA

View Full Version : Air Bag fault again..but with a new opinion

phenonix
17th January 2011, 05:31
Leaving my car in for a service in a couple of days so dropped into the garage before hand....

I've had an air bag fault for a while, tried most things, connectors pushed in and out, cut the plugs off the drives seat and did new connectors, (not yet done the passengers) still no luck, so decided let the professionals sort it out, but heres the thing...

The garage deals only with Rover,Jag,Rolls Royce, Bentley etc..so they know their stuff.

The manager said today its the pretensioners, thats not the unusual bit , but he said that if an error comes up simply reconnecting the plugs will extinguish the display error, a battery reset will not either, he needs to reset it, he also mentioned "memory".

I was surprised by this, although i'm hoping he's right, could be a cheap fix for me.
I've read most threads on air bags faults and all have said re-connecting extinguish's the fault.
Has anyone else experienced similar, i.e. clearing the errors fix's the display?

Hope i'm explaining this correctly...

Mr Edd
17th January 2011, 07:16
Not sure I quite understand. Are you pulling the cables apart and then reconnecting them to reset the message?

Isn't that what we have been doing?

I had this problem for a short while but when I replaced the cloth seats with a full set of leathers with memory and heated seats I fixed all the connectors to the frame and not had this issue since.

More info here... Click Me (http://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=68409)

Edd

phenonix
17th January 2011, 08:11
So after doing all that did the airbag error extinguish from your display after the fix?
Or did it need something else, I.e error codes cleared or visit to garage?

Mine is still displaying airbag error even though I have made some repairs, so.. that means what I fixed is not what was causing the error and I have to look further, faulty ecu?

but if I go by what the garage manager said it may have been fixed but just needs him to clear the error( unsure how that is done, T4?)

Although I do not think he is saying is correct, that he only needs to clear the memory, it would be advantageous to me as what was causing the error "HAS" been fixed

P.s. Stinking hot here today, been drinking beer all day, cause that's what you do here, and its my last day of annual leave so if I'm not making myself clear I hope you understand :)

mh007
17th January 2011, 08:21
Leaving my car in for a service in a couple of days so dropped into the garage before hand....

I've had an air bag fault for a while, tried most things, connectors pushed in and out, cut the plugs off the drives seat and did new connectors, (not yet done the passengers) still no luck, so decided let the professionals sort it out, but heres the thing...

The garage deals only with Rover,Jag,Rolls Royce, Bentley etc..so they know their stuff.

The manager said today its the pretensioners, thats not the unusual bit , but he said that if an error comes up simply reconnecting the plugs will extinguish the display error, a battery reset will not either, he needs to reset it, he also mentioned "memory".

I was surprised by this, although i'm hoping he's right, could be a cheap fix for me.
I've read most threads on air bags faults and all have said re-connecting extinguish's the fault.
Has anyone else experienced similar, i.e. clearing the errors fix's the display?

If you've ever had water ingress into the drivers side footwell (RHD) through blocked plenums etc, it could well be the crash sensor has got water logged.
I had a problem on mine & when I put a scanner on it, it showed the error code for the crash sensor.
I removed the drivers seat & side trim, pulled the carpet back only to find the sensor had been 'drowned'.
It's held on with 2 x 6mm (8mm socket) bolts.
When I bought the car, it had blocked plenums which I rectified straight away.
Thankfully, no other damage was done.

Mike Noc
17th January 2011, 08:31
So after doing all that did the airbag error extinguish from your display after the fix?
Or did it need something else, I.e error codes cleared or visit to garage?

Mine is still displaying airbag error even though I have made some repairs, so.. that means what I fixed is not what was causing the error and I have to look further, faulty ecu?

but if I go by what the garage manager said it may have been fixed but just needs him to clear the error( unsure how that is done, T4?)

Although I do not think he is saying is correct, that he only needs to clear the memory, it would be advantageous to me as what was causing the error "HAS" been fixed

P.s. Stinking hot here today, been drinking beer all day, cause that's what you do here, and its my last day of annual leave so if I'm not making myself clear I hope you understand :)

Sounds clear to me! If all you have is a bad connection then unplugging and replugging the connection often cures the fault and the warning light goes out. It will log the fault in the ECU but that won't affect anything. If the light doesn't go out then you either still have the fault or you have another fault or faults.

If the light is still on probably best to check it out with a T4 as you haven't cleared the fault and T4 should tell you exactly what is wrong.

At least that is how it works on my 1.8 75!

Mike

wullie480
17th January 2011, 08:38

I think you need to do the passenger side connectors as reading this and from the diagnostics you got from the garage the seat belt pre tensioners are at fault. (did you fix both drivers side connections or just the air bag one?)
I fixed mine by removing the OEM connections and replacing them with the bullet type not had a problem since.
I think what the garage is saying is although the fault light has gone out a fault will still be logged unless you clear it from the Memory as such (don't see that you need to have that done though).

phenonix
17th January 2011, 08:45
Sounds clear to me! If all you have is a bad connection then unplugging and replugging the connection often cures the fault and the warning light goes out. It will log the fault in the ECU but that won't affect anything. If the light doesn't go out then you either still have the fault or you have another fault or faults.

If the light is still on probably best to check it out with a T4 as you haven't cleared the fault and T4 should tell you exactly what is wrong.

At least that is how it works on my 1.8 75!

Mike

As I thought, I'll go with the T4 then as you say, as I just cannot try and guess which fault it " might be"

Just needed to clarify if anyone has had an occasion whereas the error still
showed after a fix, and need a further session to clear the fault,
So now I'm left with.... What the %ell was that manager talking about?

Was he getting confused about other errors that show on the IPK?
Starting to question his ability/knowledge

FLYER
17th January 2011, 08:47
plainly you need to do the passenger seat connecters also !!!!!

phenonix
17th January 2011, 08:51
What if I do the passengers also and it not that either?

phenonix
17th January 2011, 08:57
As I thought, I'll go with the T4 then as you say, as I just cannot try and guess which fault it " might be"

Just needed to clarify if anyone has had an occasion whereas the error still
showed after a fix, and need a further session to clear the fault,
So now I'm left with.... What the %ell was that manager talking about?

Was he getting confused about other errors that show on the IPK?
Starting to question his ability/knowledge

What I'm really looking for from this thread is if anyone is familiar with what the manager said, I.e takes more than fixing the connectors to remove the error.

Mr Edd
17th January 2011, 17:51
I don't know for sure but I don't think it needs a T4 session to clear airbag issues.

Mine all disappeared after I reconnected the cable connectors under the seats. I didn't have to get a T4 session afterwards to clear the message.

It didn't come back when I fitted the leather seats either. But I did do the battery reset after each time.

I understand the temp and the drinking, been there got the T-Shirt. I used to use a guy on the Drummoyne Five Dock Road near Ingham Avn. He was very good but that was over 20 years ago before the 75 came out.

Edd <expat sandgroper>

hammers_bob
7th February 2011, 20:25
Hi guys,i recently bought a 75,which had the airbag light illuminated,so done a bit of "home"work,and decided to give it a try,
to start i dis-connected the two sensor plugs under the drivers seat (one yellow,one blue) re-connected them,turned the ignition on after about 8 seconds the airbag light went out,only to re-illuminate 2 seconds later,so there i was thinking what a waste of effort,but good old curiosity got the better of me ,and i decided to try the same format with the sensors under the passenger seat,and hey presto,i turned the ignition on,after about 8 seconds the airbag light went out,and what a result it stayed off.
GREAT CLUB LOTS OF GOOD INFORMATION,FROM A NEWBIE WHO HAS RECENTLY JOINED. hammers_bob

paddyflan
12th February 2011, 09:16
Message to mh007

I to have an airbag warning problem, which appears to manifest itself when it rains heavily.....do you think this could be the crash sensor? When I bought it the plenums where badly blocked, which I sorted.

Is it easy to get to the crash sensor.......do you have to remove the seat?

Paddy

FLYER
12th February 2011, 12:22
Would be good if the op came back and told us how he got on then we might learn something.

craig8661
13th February 2011, 20:06
Message to mh007

I to have an airbag warning problem, which appears to manifest itself when it rains heavily.....do you think this could be the crash sensor? When I bought it the plenums where badly blocked, which I sorted.

Is it easy to get to the crash sensor.......do you have to remove the seat?

Paddy
funny you say that mine is the same
after a few dry days the light goes of.
drains are clear but the carpet is damp so wonder if the crash sensor is wet on mine