PDA

View Full Version : V6 - intermittent problem starting

Curious_Kiwi
17th January 2011, 10:39
V reg V6 with 85k miles
Occasionally the car won’t start. It just winds over and does not fire at all. This happens either warm or cold. Starter motor speed is as normal. Once the engine is running, it runs fine.
If I keep winding it over, it usually eventually fires and starts up, but sometimes it won’t do that. If it does not start, then I go back a few hours later and then it starts. At least so far it has done so.
It is as though there is no spark at all.
Battery is almost new and OK. I have checked the ECU and it is nice and dry.

Any suggestions on what needs to be checked next?

Cheers, and thanks. Paul

Freebyrd
17th January 2011, 10:43
Do you get a message on screen saying 'Check Engine'? if so check Crankshaft Sensor, will need to be done by plugging in to fault finding software (laptop). This happened to my V6, sensor seems to fail intermittently then totally.

Curious_Kiwi
17th January 2011, 10:46
Thanks Freebyrd.
No messages at all.
Maybe I need to take it to someone with a diagnostics kit.

Cheers, Paul

Freebyrd
17th January 2011, 10:49
Diagnostic is the only sure way of finding fault, quicker and poss cheaper than replacing parts not needed. The fault with mine was very intermittant, but luckly still under warranty, fixed for free.

Curious_Kiwi
17th January 2011, 10:52
Free sounds good :-)

My next job is to go back to the supermarket in a couple of hours and fetch the car. I had to abandon it there this morning. Hopefully it starts and at least gets me to the garage.

Cheers, and thanks for your help.

Paul

8511swann
17th January 2011, 11:22
From my own recent experiences, the cam sensor was causing me problems when starting the engine after it was warm, and this seemed to be the norm. However, before my replacement cam sensor arrived, it started to play up from cold too.
Removing the cam sensor and cleaning it with some alcohol based contact type cleaner seemed to cool it down enough for the engine to start. Whilst I was waiting for the replacement to arrive, I just had my Ratchet and 8mm socket in the door pouch. When it wouldn't start, I would quickly remove the sensor, give it a clean with the aforementioned alcohol, pop it back in, and away she went.

richardharfield
17th January 2011, 18:15
Also make sure there is plenty of petrol in the tank. Mine now won't start if the nose is up on a hill and the fuel light is on. Put it on the level, wait a few seconds and hey presto - it starts. Not sure why this happens, maybe I am running with less fuel than previously?

MangoMan
17th January 2011, 18:29
Sounds like you have the same problem as Swanny........ And me previously....... Not to mention lots of others........

Oh, sorry, welcome to the 'Club'.

Cheers, Bill.

neal.blackmoor
17th January 2011, 18:30
it is definatly your cam sensor.....it does not show on your engine managment light......there around 60 to 70 quid...5 min to change.....but worth every penny. i know as mine went..and would not start once warm... an engine can take hours to cool down enough for it to re start

Beena wild
20th January 2011, 09:34
Did the biz yesterday following identical symptoms. €100 inc. vat South Dublin garage.
Thanks for forum info everyone!

Curious_Kiwi
22nd January 2011, 19:38
All ends well for me.
It was indeed the cam sensor. And the fault showed up on a diagnostics tool that a local garage had that could "talk" to a Rover.
Got the two parts from MGOC Spares today for £68.28
http://www.mgocspares.co.uk/
Both sensor NSC000310 and lead.
The only lead they had was YSB002390 which means you need a sharp blade to trim off two of the slide lugs on the plug so it fits the engine loom plug. Easy to do and works fine. If you can get YSB002450 then this trimming is not required.
Car now starting relaibly again even when hot :-)
Many Thanks for help from the forum.
Paul

wuzerk
23rd January 2011, 09:27
Good result and another useful link for the becoming harder to find parts.

rizel23
23rd January 2011, 11:08
i have same issue but will be using the landrover part as is cheaper (just has a 'L' on the end.

Went to see lates today to fit IPK and the camshaftsensor came up with error so defiantly that, although they have removed the fault codes.