PDA

View Full Version : 1.8 plenum cubic capacity?

VVC-Geeza
17th January 2011, 22:20
Can anyone tell me if the cubic capacity of the VVC inlet plenum is greater than that of the one fitted to the 1.8K/Turbo?

I'm considering fitting a VVC one along with the metal inlet manifold,it would be nice to squeeze a few more horses in the process through increased flow.

I know Stevemac has done this mod on the recommendation of his mechanic.

James.uk
17th January 2011, 23:01
Erm.. Whats an inlet plenum??

pab
18th January 2011, 11:54
like for like swap,although there is an extra plug on the unit for an additional sensor.

with the inlet being alloy you will find that the inlet manifold gasket will give you better life too.

don't think you will find any gains in performance though,but look good.

James.uk
18th January 2011, 12:38
:confused: OI! I'm over here!! :hurray::cheering: am I :banghead: or what? :shrug: :p: :D

What is an inlet plenum please... ???? :D :D :D

(Ellow Pab :))

VVC-Geeza
18th January 2011, 16:26
Erm.. Whats an inlet plenum??

It's the black thingy with VVC written on it

http://i155.photobucket.com/albums/s303/mick_064/Aeropark452-1.jpg

like for like swap,although there is an extra plug on the unit for an additional sensor.

with the inlet being alloy you will find that the inlet manifold gasket will give you better life too.

don't think you will find any gains in performance though,but look good.

I presume it will run ok without that sensor Paul as Stevemac has done this mod, and yes the manifold shoud prove much more durable.If it's got a greater capacity it's got to help flow and "should" add a few horses.There are one two for sale on the bay and one seller claims they add an extra 10 bhp,may be the case with the turbo.

pab
18th January 2011, 16:35
:confused: OI! I'm over here!! :hurray::cheering: am I :banghead: or what? :shrug: :p: :D

What is an inlet plenum please... ???? :D :D :D

(Ellow Pab :))

.....inlet manifold assembly,the word plenum we are using describes the top or the unit which is made of alloy opposed to plastic

stevemac
18th January 2011, 16:52
I presume it will run ok without that sensor Paul as Stevemac has done this mod,

You need to keep the sensor in just to bung up the hole :}

VVC-Geeza
18th January 2011, 16:56
You need to keep the sensor in just to bung up the hole :}

Thanks.

I believe you had yours fitted on the recommendation of your mechanic,did he mention whether you could expect any power gains?

James.uk
18th January 2011, 17:28
Yayy.. :D Thanks Geeza. :}

Thanks Pab... :}

sworks
18th January 2011, 19:14
Not sure you would get 10bhp Mick, more placebo effect imho

VVC-Geeza
18th January 2011, 21:16
Not sure you would get 10bhp Mick, more placebo effect imho

Any idea how it compares internal volume wise with the OE one Mark?

stevemac
19th January 2011, 08:53
Thanks.

I believe you had yours fitted on the recommendation of your mechanic,did he mention whether you could expect any power gains?

The senior mechanic at Thomas Day's in Fleet recommended the mod as it was something he did to his racing engines. We did not talk about performance, just reliability.

VVC-Geeza
19th January 2011, 15:57
The senior mechanic at Thomas Day's in Fleet recommended the mod as it was something he did to his racing engines. We did not talk about performance, just reliability.

To do this mod to racing engines seems to imply better flow, otherwise i would have thought he would have recommended it for all K series if it were purely down to better reliability :shrug:

ErikB
20th January 2011, 13:42
I guess it's the same on a ZT 1.8 as on an MGF 1.8 MPi

The VVC head has larger inlet ports and requires an inlet manifold with larger ports. Mounting a VVC manifold (larger ports) on an MPi head (smaller ports) will create an obstruction, preventing a perfect flow.

VVC-Geeza
20th January 2011, 15:49
I guess it's the same on a ZT 1.8 as on an MGF 1.8 MPi

The VVC head has larger inlet ports and requires an inlet manifold with larger ports. Mounting a VVC manifold (larger ports) on an MPi head (smaller ports) will create an obstruction, preventing a perfect flow.

That's a good point.When i had my engine upgrades done on my VVC coupe the exhaust manifold ports were badly out of line with those on the head and the head needed fettling to correct it and improve flow.To think that was how it left the factory :eek:

sworks
21st January 2011, 05:52
Any idea how it compares internal volume wise with the OE one Mark?

Not sure to be honest, the alloy manifold would have similar expansion rates as the engine over the plastic manifold though