PDA

View Full Version : Starter motor/solonoid advice please ( 01 75 CDT)

ukmastiff
19th January 2011, 15:05
lo all, the 75 has run without any electrical fault in the 6 months I have had her but today I pulled in for diesel , filled up and then the car was dead. No 'tell tale click' just a lack of one. I was ready to call the RAC and took one last try and she started perfectly.

I wont ignore this as it would of course be fatal but what I need to know is , is the solonoid part of the alternator on a 75 diesel I.E am I likely to have to get a new starter motor if the solonoid is as I suspect failing or is the solonoid available seperately.

I hope its not the flywheel ! as I had exactly this on my Volvo S60 last year and it was a huuuuge expensive job.

I know more about electronics than cars due to my work
(which isnt difficult as I am no mech) so I will check the voltages and make sure the alternator is kicking out the proper voltage and also I will check the battery properly.

I'm more interested in the alternator/solonoid make up on a 75 diesel and how easy it is to get too of course.

Cheers

Mas

COLVERT
19th January 2011, 15:10
The solenoid can be purchased separately.

Fairly easy to get at too.

Andyd358
19th January 2011, 15:19
Hi,
I've had this happen a couple of times and it just down to a rusty connection on the starter motor. Hope just the same for you.

ukmastiff
19th January 2011, 15:39
I was wrong ! , now im not on a noisy main road garage fourcourt , it is clicking in the usual fashion

Having searched the forum as you should :) , I found this.

http://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=55943

I'm not usually that lucky but it sounds like this could be my symptoms , perhaps I should try this kit.

Regards Mas

wullie480
19th January 2011, 16:17
I was wrong ! , now im not on a noisy main road garage fourcourt , it is clicking in the usual fashion

I'm not usually that lucky but it sounds like this could be my symptoms , perhaps I should try this kit.

Regards Mas

Hi Mas,

I suffered the same problems not long ago I bought a repair kit from Ebay very easy to do and came with full fitting instructions

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ROVER-75-2-0-CDT-CDTI-MG-ZT-STARTER-MOTOR-REPAIR-KIT-/250749317123?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item3a61d2f003#ht_842wt_1139

James.uk
19th January 2011, 16:37
I also used the repair kit (eBay) at a cost of £12, it worked very well..:D

Unfortunately you still need to get the starter motor off to repair the solenoid though.. :o

Gerry oFlynn
19th January 2011, 21:02
Had the same problem , got the replacement parts from e-bay 2 years ago - as everyone says £12, my local garage man fitted it and no problem since. As said the solenoid is virtually bomb proof well over engineered - virtually unheard of to fail I have been told

Thomas
19th January 2011, 22:12
Moved to technical help forum :}

ukmastiff
21st January 2011, 09:37
Hi, I checked the part number and mine is the repairable type. I have orderered the 12 pound kit just now.

Having removed the cover and seen the space , I find it hard to believe you can get that starter out without removing some other parts from the area. Can anyone who has actually done this advise me what I need to remove , because the instructions dont suggest what to take out and being a 'first time repairer' , I dont want to start unbolting loads of things unnecessarily and struggle getting bits back in :)

Thanks

Mas

SD1too
21st January 2011, 09:51
Mas,

My advice would be to check your battery's state of charge before taking anything to bits.
Removing the starter is covered in the Haynes manual (which you can order on-line and it will pop through your letterbox tomorrow).

Simon.

ukmastiff
21st January 2011, 10:45
I have a Haynes manual , it dsays remove the air intake duct which I have

http://www.englishmastiff.org.uk/pics/start2.jpg

However that leaves this

http://www.englishmastiff.org.uk/pics/start3.jpg

And I cant get any tool in past this

http://www.englishmastiff.org.uk/pics/start4.jpg

Whish is not held on by a simple jubilee clip so I cant see how to get a socket in there or how to get it off which is why I am asking for help/advice.

O.K , I found how to get the pipe i am pointing to , off. The circlip if it is that is a little thin one that I couldnt even see was there.

First bolt out , small lead clip off, two battery wore connectors off , Just need to find this hidden second bolt ??

ukmastiff
21st January 2011, 12:09
I took a long 13mm bolt and nut from here

http://www.englishmastiff.org.uk/pics/viewbottom.jpg

But above it is a hole with what looks like a bolt in it someone has previously sheared off and left ( by tip of screwdriver below) or am i being paranoid and its just a locator pin ?

http://www.englishmastiff.org.uk/pics/viewtop.jpg

Am I still looking for this elusive second bolt or is it the 'hole' i have taken a pic of and someone has left it broken ?

The starter motor still wont come off which is why I assume there is another bolt. No one has mentined them being difficult to wiggle off. It definately feels like it is still bolted on on the side of the car furthest away from you as you are working on the car I.E towards the rear of the car.

For my first ever attempt at fixing anything proper on a car this has not been a pleasent experience.

Thanks

Mas

SD1too
22nd January 2011, 07:26
Hi Mas,

There's a line diagram in the MG Rover manual with two arrows pointing to the location of the starter motor fixing bolts. With reference to your photograph, these arrows are just to the right hand side of the hose which runs from left to right then turns upwards (if that makes sense?). One bolt is that which you have already removed and the second one appears to be separated from it laterally by 180 degrees. The text mentions a dowel and dowel hole; in other words the 'locator pin' which you mention.

Have another look and if you're still stuck send me an e-mail address via P.M. and I'll scan the diagram and send it to you.

Well done for tackling this as your first ever piece of maintenance. We all have the sort of difficulties you're experiencing, but you will succeed and feel proud of yourself when it's done. :D

Simon.

Mike Noc
22nd January 2011, 08:20
Hi, I checked the part number and mine is the repairable type. I have orderered the 12 pound kit just now.

Having removed the cover and seen the space , I find it hard to believe you can get that starter out without removing some other parts from the area. Can anyone who has actually done this advise me what I need to remove , because the instructions dont suggest what to take out and being a 'first time repairer' , I dont want to start unbolting loads of things unnecessarily and struggle getting bits back in :)

Thanks

Mas

Yes after taking off the top cover you can get the starter motor out without taking anything else off but you need to do it by feel as you can't see much of it.

Take care as it is easy to damage the radiator.

Mike

ukmastiff
22nd January 2011, 08:44
Simon and Mike thanks for the info , Simon that is a very helpful suggestion re the diagram and I have sent you my E-Mail straight away.

My other half did e-mail my pics to a mechanic we know who is 'up North' and he mentioned all BM's have a locator pin half way. Maybe then it isnt a sheared off bolt which is good news as I know everyone will assume I did it ! which of course I havn't or I'd just say so.

If I ever do get this sorted I will try and keep a pack of info for others including precise pics.

Cheers

Mas