PDA

View Full Version : maf sensor

Paulandy
20th January 2011, 16:37
will it damage the engine if i dont reconect the maf sensor the car runs better with out it no smoke or starting problems fuel usage ok

HarryM1BYT
20th January 2011, 22:39
will it damage the engine if i dont reconect the maf sensor the car runs better with out it no smoke or starting problems fuel usage ok

The suggestion is that it will fall back onto default values, if you unplug it, but default values are not as good as actual correct values from the sensor. I don't remember anyone mentioning whether it would or would not cause damage if left disconnected for an extended period. RoverRon might be the best one to answer that.

higgi23
20th January 2011, 22:58
Something to do with air temperature not getting back to the ecu me thinks...............

para999
21st January 2011, 09:08
Something to do with air temperature not getting back to the ecu me thinks...............

Think I remember reading somewhere on the site that with the MAF sensor disconnected, the ECU thinks the outside temp is -5c. My MAF sensor stopped working last month and the loss of power (2 litre CDT engine) was horrendous! After disconnecting it, the throttle response was back to normal, but fuel consumption went up. Think I also read it shouldn't cause any damage too.

I replaced mine with a Pierburgh MAF sensor and Roverron Synergy 2 tuning box with fantastic results and much improved performance! The Pierburgh MAF is said to be more reliable than the Bosch factory fit, but you need to fit the Synergy 2 box too. More expensive than just replacing the MAF with a Bosch one, but.....

Look on here....

http://tuning-diesels.com/75Zt/R75maf.htm

Hope this helps a bit.

Regards

Gordon

simdel1
21st January 2011, 15:47
I have had my MAF disconnected for the last month. Fuel consuption is only marginally worse and I haven't noticed anything wrong with the engine because of the lack of signal from the MAF. At the end of the day, the worst that can happen is that it injects slightly too much fuel. It won't be enough to wash the oil from the cylinder walls so I'm happy to keep running it like this until I can get a replacement.