PDA

View Full Version : Wet boot... - Rear quarter trim?

pmanson
22nd January 2011, 18:12
Hi All,

I've had an issue ever since I picked up my ZT of the boot carpet getting wet.

As today was the first time I've washed it since i got it (it's had a couple of trips to the local Polish car wash to keep the salt off it but i'm waiting to give it the full claybar/polish session) I decided to track down the culprit of my wet boot.

Before Christmas I ran some silicon sealant over the rear lights but it appears from my highly scientific tests that it's the trim on the rear quarter panel thats causing the issue (water is pooling underneath the amp/cd changer).

I'm planning on pulling it all out tomorrow and running some silicon sealant around the joins...

Any one else experienced this issue and managed to resolve it?

Cheers,
Phill

Cymrudragon
22nd January 2011, 18:36
The nut comes loose on the trimon the inside of the boot tighten up the nut or run a little silicon over the screw end and then tighten the bolt ....

pmanson
22nd January 2011, 18:45
That was my plan - fingers crossed that solves it

Robson Rover Repair
22nd January 2011, 18:47
The nut comes loose on the trimon the inside of the boot tighten up the nut or run a little silicon over the screw end and then tighten the bolt ....

Says it nicely, very common on cars that have had trim removed at some stage.

Andyd358
22nd January 2011, 20:43
Sorry to sound a bit thick here but which nut are you refering to. I too have the same problem thought it was lights but not them sealed the little blighters but water still pooling in the boot. Was suspecting it was coming in through the rear window but all the metal work under the window (inside) is bone dry.

pmanson
22nd January 2011, 20:46
Hi Andy - If you pull of the boot trim behind the lights you'll see black nuts and washers on the wings of the car.

It's one piece that fits behind the lights then around the side of the boot.

The nuts hold the body trim on to the rear wings (same across the doors and front wings)

I've been out there this afternoon pouring jugs of water over various parts of the car and that seems to be where its coming from.

Andyd358
22nd January 2011, 20:49
Hi Andy - If you pull of the boot trim behind the lights you'll see black nuts and washers on the wings of the car.

It's one piece that fits behind the lights then around the side of the boot.

The nuts hold the body trim on to the rear wings (same across the doors and front wings)

I've been out there this afternoon pouring jugs of water over various parts of the car and that seems to be where its coming from.

Cheers Ill have alook in the morning

AndyV
22nd January 2011, 21:17
Andy, in your case it could also be from the boot vents at the side, one of mine leaked due to a bad body/vent seal. Use the pouring jugs of water test as suggested to establish where the leak is, to avoid doing unneccessary work!

Andyd358
22nd January 2011, 21:24
Andy, in your case it could also be from the boot vents at the side, one of mine leaked due to a bad body/vent seal. Use the pouring jugs of water test as suggested to establish where the leak is, to avoid doing unneccessary work!

Sorry another daft one where abouts are the vents

Thomas
22nd January 2011, 21:27
Moved to technical help forum

HarryM1BYT
22nd January 2011, 21:37
Sorry another daft one where abouts are the vents

Below the level of the bumber / body joint and at each of the sides. A square panel around 3" x 3" looks like a venician blind. If you pull the side trim back, you should be able to see them.

Andyd358
22nd January 2011, 21:38
Below the level of the bumber / body joint and at each of the sides. A square panel around 3" x 3" looks like a venician blind. If you pull the side trim back, you should be able to see them.
cheers will check in the morning