PDA

View Full Version : Jacking up rear of 01 75 CDT saloon, where exactly ?

ukmastiff
23rd January 2011, 10:27
Lo all, armed with my new trolley jack I went to try and adjust the handbrake today. Baring in mind I'm totally new to using a trolley jack ( and stands) , I looked under the rear and I cant see where I can jack up the car. Looking from the very back under the car towards the front , there is the fuel tank then a large bit of exhaust before you even get to the rear 'axle'/chassis. Is it practical to get my trolley jack in there because it doesnt look it. Once you slide the jack the whole wy in there isnt leverage to even 'pump it' plus i can't see where you could put the jack. Should I jack up each side of the car placing a stand in place one at a time or something. Please note I have no intention of getting 'under the car' and will not be putting myself at risk ! just adjusting the shoes. I would certainly like to know the way this is done though as I intend to do many jobs in time.

Thanks

Mas

suffolk boy
23rd January 2011, 10:53
hi if you look in the how 2 section that should help however when i do mine and this is not for the faint hearted as the car weighs around 2 ton is as follows and the rear of the car just under the bumper place trolley jack with planks of wood under neath as mine does not lift enough without them jack up place axle stands under rear subframe where the arms to the rear wheels attach. this area is well braced so should be fine.oh the place i mentioned for placing the jack pretty sure there is a towing eye there .

freddie
23rd January 2011, 11:31
Hand book says under the towing eye just adjusted my hand brake thats where I jacked up mine axle stands go where normal jacking points are.

T-Cut
23rd January 2011, 12:05
Centrally jacking up these very heavy cars with a 'domestic' trolley jack is a very hairy excercise. Not for the faint hearted/inexperienced. Personally I always jack up one side or the other, rather than both. Whatever you do, always place axle stands under the body in safe locations before venturing underneath. Give me ramps every time.

TC

grivas
23rd January 2011, 13:09
I would not attempt to jack up these very heavy cars with a domestic jack, very uncertain, as TC says use ramps or jack up once side at a time but DONT venture under the car.

ukmastiff
23rd January 2011, 14:53
When you say ramps, I cant use the little drive on ramps if I'm taking the wheels off can I , I presume yuo mean a garage type drive on rmp which i dont have.

Is it O.K to jack one side at a time up then , as it says you should have both wheels off to adjust the handbrake. I wondered if I could jack one side up at a time but then as you jack it up I'm thinking you will have the trolley jack where you want to put the stand if that mkes sense as there is only one point shown as safe on each side and I dont know well enough to just pick a point. I thought this would all be simple as long as you tookl advice :getmecoat:

Thanks

Mas

T-Cut
23rd January 2011, 16:57
Centrally jacking with a good quality trolley is probably easy enough when you just need to clear the rear tyres. For adjusting the handbrake, this is sufficient, but for anything involving underbody work, you should use drive up ramps. Even placing axle stands under the side pads requires an enormous and (IMO) dangerous lift.

TC