PDA

View Full Version : Front suspension rear bush won't line up

Steady-Eddie
23rd January 2011, 16:54
Just changed the n/s/f rear bush. Got the old one out easily enough (thanks to advice from members on here about buying an angled ratchet spanner).
Got the bush on the arm with a spray of silicon and thought it was going well until I tried bolting it down. Managed to get the front bolt in eventually but no way will the rear bolt line up, even with the front one nearly all the way down.
Anyone got any tips please?

stocktake
23rd January 2011, 17:05
Only tip I can give is make sure both front wheels are off the ground, gives you a better chance of pulling and pushing the arm/steering getting the thing to line up.

sailorhms
23rd January 2011, 17:08
I, like most 75/MG ZT owners have changed these bushes a few times, first time went ok and it aligned well, but last one didnt and I had to jack the car up (as opposed to ramps) and remove the wheel, this allowed the suspension to move around and the arm fitted in to the bush no problem, remember axle stands for support though.

Steady-Eddie
23rd January 2011, 17:14
Will try it with both sides jacked up in the morning (too cold, dark and damp now lol). Only had it up on the one side today (on a stand of course)

T-Cut
23rd January 2011, 17:31
The best tip I've read on this is to slide the bush onto the rear spline at whatever angle is easiest. Then using plenty of Fairly Liquid to lube the rubber, twist the bush/mounting so it flips over the splines and assumes the correct position.

TC

Steady-Eddie
23rd January 2011, 17:44
Was wondering if the bush could do with rotating one flat as I have to twist it to get the bolts anywhere near the holes

stocktake
23rd January 2011, 17:46
Was wondering if the bush could do with rotating one flat as I have to twist it to get the bolts anywhere near the holes

That is just a further sign that you need to get the other side up in the air, been there done that :o Don't worry about it, you will manage it :)

Steady-Eddie
23rd January 2011, 18:03
It will be done eventually and once it's done I've got the arm on the other side to change. Not been able to crack the balljoint that holds it to the sub frame but that's another story lol.
MOT's looming so need to get my finger out

David Lawrence
23rd January 2011, 18:37
It will be done eventually and once it's done I've got the arm on the other side to change. Not been able to crack the balljoint that holds it to the sub frame but that's another story lol.
MOT's looming so need to get my finger out

I had to give up on mine overnight and have a good sleep. next morning the bolt dropped straight in no bother. Make sure you get the bush flat down to the chassis. Any twist at all on it and it wont go in.

Jules
23rd January 2011, 18:41
So it seems a good sleep is the extra tool required for this task :getmecoat:
Well done!

Steady-Eddie
23rd January 2011, 18:49
could be right there. I was up for work at 4 this morning so maybe tiredness was a factor in my inability to get a simple job done :)

Mike Noc
24th January 2011, 07:23

Have also had trouble when doing these. The bush is designed to sit in its natural position with the weight of the car on the arms, so you will have to twist it around a bit to align it with the car jacked up.

I got one bolt in and nipped it up, then with a mirror and torch checked the alignment of the second hole. Bit of jigging about with a crow bar and the second bolt went in.

Its always tempting to help a stiff bolt in with a spanner, which of course can lead to disaster if the threads get crossed! Can't go wrong if you start a thread by hand.

Mike

Steady-Eddie
24th January 2011, 10:17
Finally got it done this morning :). Thanks to everyone for the advice you've all given me.

Ended up taking the bush off again to check I hadn't damaged the thread (can you imagine the tears if I had?). Put it back on and didn't slide it along the arm so far this time. Got the back bolt in 1st time and the front one went in dead easy. 30 minutes as opposed to 2 hours yesterday.

Now trying to change the arm on the offside and am having problems, but that's another thread.