PDA

View Full Version : Traction control and vis valves

Mick54
25th January 2011, 13:13
I have rover 75 club auto 2.5 litre K6 engine year 2001. The tc light on dash is always on. Took it to garage for diagnostic test and mechanic said faulty vis valves are faulty and causing tc problem. I cannot find anything in this forum to confirm this. I read about the actuator motor problems with secondary valve and printed them out and showed the mechanic. He totally dismissed them and insists that it is the vis valves. I told him you do not replace the valves but you usually have to replace the vis motors. He says the problem is not the tc control but is caused by the power steering valve not working correctly. I think he is wrong. Do the vis valves and motors have anything to do with the tc control? I read that they are to do with engine power not tc. I have checked the opening of the secondary throttle and it only opens half way, I told mechanic this may be the cause of the light staying on but he dismisses this fact. Can you clear this up for me please. Have done battery disconect test. Many Thanks Mick..

crashmarks
25th January 2011, 13:28
I cannot see how the vis motors have any connection with the TC system. Your Vis motors might be faulty loads are they are unreliable but usually easly repaired. I have repaired abot 6 and it has never cost a penny just things like oil contaminated motors, burned out portion on circuit board and broken soldered joints.

I am not overly familliar with the TC on the petrol V6 but another thread suggests if its not the secondary cable thats broken it could be Tc actuatertoothed wheel that is stuck giving the same effect as a broken cable. Sounds feasable and worth a check

Mick54
25th January 2011, 13:40
Thanks for reply, From going through forum and reading different posts I agree that the vis motors dont have anything to do with tc control. Because the diagnostic machine said there was a fault with the vis valves the mechanic will not consider anything else. I will check the actuator for broken teeth. Your time is most appreciated. Mick

Zeb
25th January 2011, 13:49
TC has no connection with the VIS motors! Some of the stuff so-called 'mechanics' are telling owners these days has gone well beyond a joke.
Duff VIS motors are easily fixed. TC, as said, actuator, cable or possibly just a fuse.

stocktake
25th January 2011, 14:07
T C faulty due to VIS motors. Codswallop :mad:

If you have the ABS light on as well then it will be the front nearside ABS sensor/cable or ring

If you have the ABS light on and no speedo it will be the Front offside sensor/cable or ring.

If you have no ABS light then you need to be looking at the T/C unit cogs as you have already discovered.

BigRuss
25th January 2011, 14:38
Time to find a better garage methinks ;)

It's also got nothing to do with the power steering valve ;)

T/C is dependant on correctly functioning ABS system if as Stocktake says above if ABS light on the dash isn't on it's down to the T/C system itself.

Vac pipes, actuator losing teeth and cable are all common problems.

Russ

Mick54
25th January 2011, 17:09
Hiya everyone, a massive thanx for all your replies. After checking the secondary throttle and finding that it only half closed when key is in 2nd position I looked at actuator gears. I found a loose tooth on big gear cog, I broke it off and hey presto the valve now works as it should and the tc light went off on the dash. The fix was so easy to correct. I am glad it wasn't a new motor at £350. Once again Many thanx, Mick..

Clickernick
28th January 2011, 22:31
Don't ya just love these 'mechanics' or whatever there supposed to be called !!:D:D

Clickernick
28th January 2011, 22:33
I don't have T/C so I've used the button space for a T/C button that turns my 'Subwoofer' on and off!! :D
.....much more useful as T/C is for girlies in my opinion!