PDA

View Full Version : u/b fuel pump rover cdti

trinity 1
25th January 2011, 19:36
having just changed the u/b fuel pump and the intank pump.i have travelled 500 miles and broke down again,with what seems to be the same thing.on checking the new u/b fuel pump when i had broken down it was very hot and was not working,could this be a faulty pump or something else.i could hear the intank pump working,could anyone shed any light to my ,please

rossocorsa
26th January 2011, 07:20
is it a pattern UBP? I bought a pattern one recently and it seized within 3 weeks of fitting (maybe there's a bad batch??) upgraded to a proper MGR one (which isn't made by the original manufacturer X part appear to have re sourced it so may be improved design) and it's fine

trinity 1
26th January 2011, 08:09
hi alan,thanks for your reply,yhe make of the pump is PWM made in germany,purchased from a company IN BLACKPOOL,

rossocorsa
26th January 2011, 08:24
I think it's not the same as mine the one I had was in a plain box no manufacturers details on the pump itself just some part codes

Evansabove
26th January 2011, 09:57
Do you have at least a quarter of a tank of fuel? It may be the in tank pump has failed.

HTH

John

COLVERT
26th January 2011, 10:15
Do you have at least a quarter of a tank of fuel? It may be the in tank pump has failed.

HTH

John
The OP says he can hear the pump working in the tank. It's the U/B that is not.

Mike Noc
26th January 2011, 11:12
The OP says he can hear the pump working in the tank. It's the U/B that is not.

If the intank pump is running it won't be the relay or fuse so that leaves failed wiring or the new pump, a blockage somewhere, or something not related.

Check the voltage at the pump connector. Disconnect the outlet pipe from the pump to the fuel filter and place in a jam jar. Turn key to position 2 - is there a good supply of fuel coming through? If not but the pump is running then check for kinks in the pipework to the pump.

You can do the test with the inlet to the under bonnet pump to check supply from the intank pump.

If you are getting a good supply could be a blockage in the filter or an unrelated fault or faults. Best check the above before moving on to those.

Mike

sailorhms
26th January 2011, 16:36
A few years ago, my friends Cavalier Sri had the same problem, hot pump and breaking down, turned out to be a blocked filter.
Looked like the pump was working too hard to overcome the back pressure.