PDA

View Full Version : What problems to expect fitting D/Din

Richy
25th January 2011, 21:38
I plan on purchasing one of the dd units in the very near future and replacing my hi line system which appears to have a faulty nav system (draining battery). I have trawled my way through numerous posts on here regarding this and to be honest for someone who is absolutely useless at this kind of thing i find myself getting lost in the jargon.

I am going to have to recruit the services of a local radio fitter to install this thing so i was wondering if there are any hidden problems removing the hi line system and installing the dd unit that he might need making aware of.
Many thanks
Paul

Mr Edd
25th January 2011, 22:55
Personally I think the only problem you MAY experience will be if your wiring has been modified by a previous owner and whoever fits it doesn't understand this could be the case. :shrug:

Edd

raykay
26th January 2011, 10:24
The Hi Line unit is in the boot and is connected to the car loom in the BMW connector at the bottom of the centre console, behind the ashtray unit.
You will need to replace the High Line loom in that connector with a BMW to ISO adapter lead to the DD unit.

One problem is that BMW to ISO adapter leads don't carry the cables for the steering wheel controls, so for that you need to extend the Blue/Orange and Blue/Purple cables from the BMW connector on the car loom to the head unit.

Radioguy
26th January 2011, 13:36
Have a Look Here Richy
http://www.autogpsdvds.com/index.php?route=information/information&information_id=6

Feel free to ask any questions and I Assure you , with the help of the good members here we have managed to install every single unit !

HarryM1BYT
26th January 2011, 15:27
I plan on purchasing one of the dd units in the very near future and replacing my hi line system which appears to have a faulty nav system (draining battery). I have trawled my way through numerous posts on here regarding this and to be honest for someone who is absolutely useless at this kind of thing i find myself getting lost in the jargon.

I am going to have to recruit the services of a local radio fitter to install this thing so i was wondering if there are any hidden problems removing the hi line system and installing the dd unit that he might need making aware of.
Many thanks
Paul

Is that the Hi-Line with or without the HK amp?

Without, you just need to get a 6m antenna extension lead to get the antenna from where the old radio was, in the wheel well, to the front. The rest is just plug it in, apart from the sorting out of the steering wheel buttons.

Richy
26th January 2011, 15:54
Is that the Hi-Line with or without the HK amp?

Without, you just need to get a 6m antenna extension lead to get the antenna from where the old radio was, in the wheel well, to the front. The rest is just plug it in, apart from the sorting out of the steering wheel buttons.

This is where i struggle :)
I am assuming HK is the H/Kardon, if so my set up is the HK one.
Thanks
Paul

HarryM1BYT
26th January 2011, 17:27
This is where i struggle :)
I am assuming HK is the H/Kardon, if so my set up is the HK one.
Thanks
Paul

You need to know whether you have just the HK speakers or HK speakers plus an HK amp in the boot. If the HK amp is fitted, you will also have the sub speakers in the back parcel shelf.

HK speakers only - will just plug in and work. HK speakers and HK amp will also just plug in and work - except the HK amp and subs will not be working. I ran mine just like that for a month or two, until I got around to sorting out the HK amp plus subs - which I got back to full operation a couple of weeks ago. I documented the solution in the link below...

http://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=75572

So - as you will need to run the antenna cable through the car, you might as well run the 8 speaker wires (4 x twisted pairs) through it at the same time for the above.

One modification which I forgot, which needs to be done when installing the basic DD system, is to link the purple/pink's and the purple/yellow wires in the dash behind the DD - that ensures your antenna amp has a proper feed as well as ensuring your HK amp has its correct power feeds. I have documented that part in the description linked to above.

suffolk boy
26th January 2011, 17:40
can you get parcel shelf speakers for a tourer:)

Jakg
26th January 2011, 17:43
You need to know whether you have just the HK speakers or HK speakers plus an HK amp in the boot. If the HK amp is fitted, you will also have the sub speakers in the back parcel shelf.You couldn't get the speakers without the amp from the factory.