PDA

View Full Version : sludge found

baconbuttyman
26th January 2011, 12:35
:( found some sludge this morning. The car was running slightly jerkily so when I got home I took a look around. Found a dark beige sludge on the outer throttle body. so I checked the oil car and the Rad cap. Nothing there. There was about 10ml of gunk. Any ideas

http://i269.photobucket.com/albums/jj55/baconbuttyman/DSCF1250.jpg

Mike V
26th January 2011, 18:15
Could it be that theres quite a build up of oil in the elbow of your air inlet pipe and it has somehow seeped out through the join?

edit: just realised you have a 1.8 and I dont know how your breather system is arranged. But in my v6 I get a build up of 'dark beige' oil too just before the throttle body. (inside the pipe though)

baconbuttyman
26th January 2011, 20:35
i know sludge is common on v6 engins, its just with the hgf history of the k series it got me on an eek moment ;).
but there is no sludge on the rad cap or the oil cap :shrug:.
so hgf is actually in question. any good job i have the aa parts cover/garage cover

ja3142
26th January 2011, 20:44
I took the intake hose off the throttle body and found quite a lot of oily light brown gunk. Cafe Late I believe is the preferred term. It felt quite oily to the touch. The official diagnosis on here was that it was oil vapour/water vapour mixing over 56 000 miles.

I plan to separate the throttle body and give the whole lot a good clean. The TMAP sensor had a good coating of it as well.

baconbuttyman
26th January 2011, 21:19
will try to clean throttle body also, good practice me thinks

baconbuttyman
27th January 2011, 16:10
any one with any ideas :shrug:

pab
27th January 2011, 16:20
firstly i would clean it out along with the hoses,and see how long it takes before it returns.

have you checked in the air cleaner box and checked the security of all the other hoses,you are drawing moisture..

baconbuttyman
27th January 2011, 16:21
firstly i would clean it out along with the hoses,and see how long it takes before it returns.

have you checked in the air cleaner box and checked the security of all the other hoses,you are drawing moisture..

would that make the engin hiccup occasionally

kaiser
27th January 2011, 18:53
This is water and oil. A lot of water could come from the air. If you don't loose water from the cooling system, why worry?

I think it is time to ditch the pipe and slippers!!!;)

baconbuttyman
27th January 2011, 22:14
[/QUOTE]I think it is time to ditch the pipe and slippers!!!;)[/QUOTE]
:pillow::jedi::box::laughing2::driving: