PDA

View Full Version : ABS Sensors Front & Rear

geoffm
26th January 2011, 13:52
Hi

On my 75 CDT the ABS came on so the first thought garage, plug in and get a fault report.
Had this done today and the they are telling me that there are two faults on the sensors, front nearside and rear nearside.
I changed the front nearside last year following a collision with a badger once done the light went out however i did not have the fault cleared with a plug in so is it likely that it is just the rear nearside that thats needs changing?
Also are the rear sensors the same as the front ones? When searching on E Bay they have plenty of front sensors but no rear or do I steer clear of the ones for sale on E Bay.

Thanks for looking and hopefully replying

Geoff

graham2230
26th January 2011, 14:46
Geoff,

They are different front and rear, I have purchased both off of ebay with no problems and I'd be happy to do it again.

Graham

PS, this is an item number from ebay, 190487297845, it's from the same place as I purchased mine. Good service and it worked no problem

James.uk
27th January 2011, 00:39
?? I don't think there are any ABS sensors on the rear wheels? I think you must mean the brake pad sensors.. :}

stocktake
27th January 2011, 06:18
?? I don't think there are any ABS sensors on the rear wheels? I think you must mean the brake pad sensors.. :}

Sorry James ABS to all four wheels :o ( you may be thinking traction control :))

EnEnGee
27th January 2011, 12:14
Hi

On my 75 CDT the ABS came on so the first thought garage, plug in and get a fault report.
Had this done today and the they are telling me that there are two faults on the sensors, front nearside and rear nearside.
I changed the front nearside last year following a collision with a badger once done the light went out however i did not have the fault cleared with a plug in so is it likely that it is just the rear nearside that thats needs changing?
Also are the rear sensors the same as the front ones? When searching on E Bay they have plenty of front sensors but no rear or do I steer clear of the ones for sale on E Bay.

Thanks for looking and hopefully replying

Geoff

Once you have replaced the faulty sensor (which varies in difficulty from "that wasn't too bad" to "aaarrgghh") and the ABS system has run its power on test and detected the correct signal from all 4 wheels, the light should self extinguish. I have replaced front sensors on both my cars, and found this to be the case.

Can't comment on the Ebay sensors, but the geniune article are Siemens manufacture, so I expect the BMW to have the same item. The ABS system it self is Bosch, so I suspect it will be a fairly standard system.

wuzerk
27th January 2011, 14:54
I bought my replacement ABS leads from www.atarget.co.uk (http://www.atarget.co.uk) work perfectly and are extremely cheap. Front £15.95, rear £17.95

James.uk
27th January 2011, 16:44
Hiya Dave.. Nooo having recently changed the front wheel bearings, disks pads and ABS sensors on my car, and no one mentioning there are two more ABS sensors on the rear, I assumed they were only fitted to the front wheels.. :o

Sorry geoffm, I didn't mean to mislead you. :o

Thanks for the info Dave.. :}

Traction control? that's fer grannies innit? :D :D

geoffm
28th January 2011, 06:35
Thanks chaps

Top advice and info as usual.

Geoff