PDA

View Full Version : Help..Oil Pressure Warning

paulh260260
27th January 2011, 10:44
Over the last few days at the beginning of a journey the oil warning light flickers and occassionaly the actual "Oil Pressure Warning" shows up.

I check the oil level, its actually slightly over HIGH, there are no leaks having checked over night and looked at the engine compartment.

Once I've checked the oil I return the dipstick and the warning goes away.

I've also listened to the engine and theres no sound of any knocking to suggest bearing failure.

Any suggestions or things to check to find out whats causing this?

Thanks all

Paul

8511swann
27th January 2011, 11:03
On some Toyota engines, the oil lights come on to tell you there is too much oil........not sure about Rovers though.

Simon.h
27th January 2011, 15:09
They say by the time the oil light comes on the engines had it!

Does it sound like a bag of nails?

Simon.h
27th January 2011, 15:24
Main cause for the oil light is main bearings worn and stopping pressure from traveling around the engine. This will means the pistons and top of engine will not get the required oil and big ends will start to knock and top of engine will start tapping.

If your engine sounds fine then it could be the oil pressure sensor is playing up. Fingers crossed!

wuzerk
27th January 2011, 19:11
That has been my experience with quite a few cars. Almost always a faulty pressure sensor. It would not normally come on at the start of a journey though when the engine is cold, more likely when the engine is hot.

paulh260260
2nd February 2011, 15:44
Ive changed the oil pressure switch and that seesm to have cured the problem.
thanks to all and also a mention to Horners in Eccles, manchester. very very helpful and managed to sort me out straight away.