PDA

View Full Version : V6 rear springs question

Garaidh
27th January 2011, 19:11
I've just had a broken front spring and get the car back tomorrow after two new springs fitted...

I asked the mechanic today on the phone (who is very good but assumes we are all engineers): How are the rear springs?

He replied something along the lines of "the tails were broken off" and the bases were sitting in cups (or something similar) and he'd "personally not worry about it at all" as the rear was nothing like the front.

Not wanting to appear too stupid to him, never a smart thing to do in a garage however good, I left it at that.

Having had a spring go through a front tyre, albeit the usual cold morning setting out no risk thing, I'd rather not have it happen again.

Just wondering if any fellow members have any rear spring experience or thoughts on what I should do? Thanks...

stocktake
27th January 2011, 19:27
Some drivers go for months without knowing they have a broken spring, some MOT testers even miss it. It will effect the handling of the car but it will not penetrate the tyre or go walkabout.
Thing is, if it's broken then it needs fixing but it is very unlikely to leave you stranded.

Thomas
27th January 2011, 20:07
Get them fixed mate and you will feel a real difference, they are very very simple to change in fact I done one of my rear springs on my back in twenty minutes so dont let them overcharge you.

Clickernick
28th January 2011, 22:03
Changed mine last summer for some Leejfores or some such make which are sweedish by manufacture. £65 for both springs and both fitted in under an hour by myself! :D

All the rover colour code business seems to be a nonsense now as the local CAS motor factors only stock top quality parts and only stock a 'standard' or 'sports' option, all the same price.:drool4:

My car runs beautiful with them and I cant feel any difference in the ride at all apart from the fact that they arnt broken! :D

chris75
29th January 2011, 14:38
The damage to the lower end of the coil your mechanic describes is quite common , and most folk will never notice it . I didn't , but the MOT tester did , and failed it !:(

Kedaha
30th January 2011, 16:11
All the rover colour code business seems to be a nonsense now as the local CAS motor factors only stock top quality parts and only stock a 'standard' or 'sports' option, all the same price.:drool4:

My car runs beautiful with them and I cant feel any difference in the ride at all apart from the fact that they arnt broken! :D
It isn't nonsense, it's that aftermarket suppliers aren't willing to produce and hold so many different variations of suspension for one, old, car.