PDA

View Full Version : Can the rubber jacking points be easily removed?

peelaaa
28th January 2011, 17:10
A rubber jacking point fell off the car last week. Instead of replacing it could I just keep one in the boot and fit it to the sill if I need to jack up car etc.??

Number 6
28th January 2011, 17:12
A rubber jacking point fell off the car last week. Instead of replacing it could I just keep one in the boot and fit it to the sill if I need to jack up car etc.??

The short answer is yes they are just a push in fit:}

peelaaa
28th January 2011, 17:25
The short answer is yes they are just a push in fit:}

Thanks, would it make sense to remove all of them and store them with the spare wheel.

At least then, they won't fall off the car.

stocktake
28th January 2011, 17:27
Thanks, would it make sense to remove all of them and store them with the spare wheel.

You can, but it does leave a hole for all the nasty road salt, grit etc to get in ;)

T-Cut
28th January 2011, 17:43
They usually fall out if they've been removed previously so the retaining pips on the lugs are slightly too slack. I'd buy a new set from eBay, fit them and never remove them for any reason. Maybe paint the closing faces with bitumastic for a better fix.

TC

Dave Goody
28th January 2011, 17:47
No more nails?:D

suffolk boy
28th January 2011, 17:48
stuck mine on with gorilla glue still there after a year and a half and being reguarly steam cleaned

Martynp
28th January 2011, 19:11
You can, but it does leave a hole for all the nasty road salt, grit etc to get in ;)

Snap!
They are there to prevent corrosion at this vital chassis jacking point
Stick them back with Bostic would be my option:shrug:

rossocorsa
28th January 2011, 19:52

and when your local tyre depot jacks the car up on the bare sill causing a nice dent you'll be happy?

rossocorsa
28th January 2011, 19:53

conversely it will ventilate the sills better

peelaaa
28th January 2011, 21:33
and when your local tyre depot jacks the car up on the bare sill causing a nice dent you'll be happy?

As I said, put them back on before jacking:confused:

rossocorsa
28th January 2011, 21:39
As I said, put them back on before jacking:confused:
well what I meant was they will possibly jack two sides at once and are you sharp witted enough to remember to put the mount back? better to have them all in place and a spare one in the boot as well just in case!!

T-Cut
28th January 2011, 22:14
No more nails?:D

I guess you can stick them in position with almost anything, but it has to stay stuck after being compressed under nearly a half tonne loading. I'd prefer something resilliant like a mastic, so it won't crack or otherwise detach from the underseal/plastic pad when the car's jacked up. If the adhesive is too hard/brittle, loading it with the body weight could cause the pad to drop out afterwards as if it hadn't been stuck in at all. Bostic sounds OK, but it tends to cure to almost nothing. Really needs a thicker mastic to fill the gaps between the rough underseal and the flat pad surface.

conversely it will ventilate the sills better

I believe the sill sections are sufficiently ventilated without the pad holes.

TC

Dragrad
28th January 2011, 23:02
stuck mine on with gorilla glue still there after a year and a half and being reguarly steam cleaned
:iagree::wot: Tried No Nails, fell out after a week :( 2 years later, with Gorilla Glue, and still there, even after being well used :D

David Lawrence
29th January 2011, 04:48

Didnt someone on here get an MOT fail for these missing? I suppose if they're in the boot then they're not missing, but you might want to check if they have to be "Fitted and secure" also.

jaydeeuu
29th January 2011, 17:21
Keep mine with the spare - was advised at last MOT; if not fitted or in the car (you have to advise if in boot etc) it is an MOT failure.

EnEnGee
29th January 2011, 18:23
Keep mine with the spare - was advised at last MOT; if not fitted or in the car (you have to advise if in boot etc) it is an MOT failure.

???????

I had owned the car over a year before I even knew my car didn't have them! It was only after coming on here that I discovered they were missing.

Can't see how the MOT tester can mark them missing as an advisory, as the test is not car specific, and I can't think of many cars that have them. The car is not in any way dangerous without them, so I can't see how they would effect the test :shrug:

Every time I go to a scrappy, I check under every car and have a few off.