PDA

View Full Version : Fog Lamp Retrofit Clarification Needed

Austin Rover
28th January 2011, 20:18
I've just purchased a replacement front bumper for my 75 (Cracked the original one in the last lot of snow and ice we had!) which I collected today. Much to my delight it came with front fog lamps fitted to it.

My 75 doesn't have fog lamps fitted, so naturally having now inadvertently got some, I'd like to make them work.

I've searched through some old threads on the forum but I'm still not 100% up to speed on how exactly to go about it. I know there exists a kit for retrofitting them to cars that didn't originally have them, and that the kit comes with everything you need. (Installation of said kit looks to be relatively straight forward)

Having looked on the inside of this replacement bumper, the wiring for the fog lamps and the indicators becomes one and finishes in a multiplug.

What I want to know is how the wiring is set up in this instance and how I get these lamps to work when the wiring is noticeably different from the stand-alone kit.

I know I'll need the switch panel and a relay - it's what I need to do with the wires I need to know.

Dragrad
28th January 2011, 23:16
I retro fitted mine, wiring was in place, all I needed was the LMS switch (not the whole unit, as you just plug and play the front panel into your existing one - cheap enough on e-bay). But then mine is a Tourer, not sure on saloon wiring......

Do Not change the whole unit as it stores your mileage in it....

Austin Rover
29th January 2011, 16:16
Thanks for that!

The bumper is now on the car and the indicator/fog lamp wiring is plugged in. Now to find the relay and switch panel, and hopefully I'll get lucky and the fog lamps will work!

Dragrad
31st January 2011, 00:27
Let us know how you got on... ;)

Devilish
31st January 2011, 08:05
For correct fitting, if you bought the proper loom kit that comes with the relay, you should have instructions showing how to feed the loom from the fogs to the engine compartment, remove a plug from under the engine compartment fusebox. Remove one of the pins from the plug, and replace it with the pin on the end of the standalone 2 core fog wiring loom.

raykay
31st January 2011, 09:15
The cable is in the car loom from the fuse panel to the connector behind the bumper - it is the one that has to be disconnected from the fuse panel for the accessory kit cable.
Only cars with factory fitted foglights have the loom in the bumper itself. The cable in the accessory kit replaces the car loom cable and runs from the fuse panel to the foglights as the connector behind the bumper is in an awkward position, so the cable by-passes it.

If a bumper with the foglights is fitted, all that is needed is the switch front and relay.