PDA

View Full Version : Cdt starter.

lathbury
29th January 2011, 12:33
Hi All, I have an 02 cdt 75 and am having a problem with starting, the ignition just clicks as if the battery was flat. I had the battery off on Thursday and fully charged it and went on a 40 mile run. Now it is just clicking again, a suggestion was the starter solenoid and I bought the repair kit but can't spot the starter, I have removed the engine cover and can see a silver thing bolted to the bellhousing and it is marked Denso but cant see where the bolts are, do I have to remove the battery box?. I have just checked the battery and it is showing 11.4 volts. Any ideas please?. John.

FrenchMike
29th January 2011, 12:38
An easy way to test your battery by using OBD diagnostics on 9.0

Following values are common:

Cruising :14.5 volts

Engine stopped:12 volts

Preheating :10 volts

Cranking :7 volts

Mike

James.uk
29th January 2011, 12:41
The starter is down the front of the engine by the radiator, it is very awkward to get at. :o

The solenoid is part of it (on top) but you need to remove the starter to repair the solenoid.. :o:o

The job involves much swearing, patience, bleeding knuckles, back ache, and several coffee breaks.. :D

lathbury
29th January 2011, 13:18
James, Mike, Many thanks, it is a garage job then. John.

FrenchMike
29th January 2011, 13:27
Have a go with OBD diagnostics (9.0) ,you could discover a feeble battery !

http://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=55585&highlight=

Mike

SD1too
29th January 2011, 14:03
I had the battery off on Thursday and fully charged it and went on a 40 mile run. Now it is just clicking again ... I have just checked the battery and it is showing 11.4 volts.
John,

After a full external charge and one 40 mile journey, an off-load voltage of 11.4 is not good news. You should expect 12.4 volts. Place your multimeter across the battery terminals and try to operate the starter. What is the voltage now?

You could also get a jump start from a neighbour or friend. If the starter still clicks, you can proceed with removing it for repair. If it spins, you need a new battery.

Simon.

COLVERT
29th January 2011, 14:14
SD1 too

Seconded. Good call.

EnEnGee
29th January 2011, 18:46
I had the same symptoms with my CDT tourer, sometimes requiring a jump from my V6. When I jumped it, it always started first time. Replaced the (original) battery with a new one and the problem has gone away (so far anyway).

I would agree with the iffy battery diagnosis, particularly following the voltage readings above.

chrissyboy
29th January 2011, 21:12
sounds like the plates in the battery can no longer hold a decent charge, so i would say it needs a new battery

lathbury
30th January 2011, 06:43
I put my battery on charge last night and when I checked at 2.30 a.m. it was showing 12.4v, so I disconnected it. Before I put the battery on the car at 6.30 a.m. it had dropped to 11.8v so put it back on charge for a few minutes and the car started . I am going to buy a new Exide or Varta battery on Mon.The biggest I can get.

HarryM1BYT
30th January 2011, 08:29
I put my battery on charge last night and when I checked at 2.30 a.m. it was showing 12.4v, so I disconnected it. Before I put the battery on the car at 6.30 a.m. it had dropped to 11.8v so put it back on charge for a few minutes and the car started . I am going to buy a new Exide or Varta battery on Mon.The biggest I can get.

12.4v is way too low - on charge it needs to get to around 14.4v. When just taken off charge, it ought to be around 12.9v. A good battery after it has been charged and without having put any load on it, should be able to hold better than 12.7v for several days.

Could your charger perhaps be faulty?

COLVERT
30th January 2011, 13:10
Harry's post above may have pinpointed the problem. That voltage ,if checked whilst on charge, is much too low.
( Unless of course you have one of these modern self regulating chargers !! )
All in all though when you take everything into account I think your battery is just about to say "Goodbye "

lathbury
31st January 2011, 11:10
Hi, I had a new Exide battery fitted this morning so everything is ok now so it seems my starter is okay. A bonus is my d/d h/u had stopped working but as soon as the new battery was fitted everything started up again so maybe the battery was my problem. Happy now, thanks for the help. John.

chris75
31st January 2011, 11:28
Our cars are overly sensitive to battery voltage :mad:
When mine was causing starting bother recently , I could put the same battery on the wife's 416 and it would start fine !

James.uk
31st January 2011, 11:44
I am afriad that is the truth, we do get a lot of people with elec problems of various sorts that end up as a battery problem, we really need to check the batteries first in many cases, rather than waste time chasing the individual elec issues.. :}