PDA

View Full Version : odd behaviour by the ABS?

James.uk
29th January 2011, 18:45
Prior to changing my front tyres I was never aware that my car had ABS, I knew it did, but it never disclosed it's presence in any way.. :}

However, since I had the new front tyres fitted (UniRoyal rainfingies) my ABS kicks in whenever I brake more than gently even on perfectly dry roads with good grip??

Is this normal??? :shrug:

E.G. 20 mph, dry road, brake hard ish, ABS operates.. ?? It really is quite difficult to brake now without the ABS kicking in...

Reebmit
29th January 2011, 18:51
Hi James, mine did this and it was one of my rear sensors, replaced and was fine. The ABS light did not show with this defect.

Its probably just coincidence that it played up when new tyres fitted, maybe one of the cables came loose when tyres fitted then rubbed through and shorting out quite a common problem, I'd check that first :)

James.uk
29th January 2011, 18:54
Cheers Reebmit. I will get my mech to check it out on Monday. :)

Reebmit
29th January 2011, 18:56
Good move, its most likely to be one of those front cables..hope it gets sorted okay on Monday:)

James.uk
30th January 2011, 13:46
Hiya Reebmit. :) Erm your first post sez rear, the 2nd sez the front?? Can you confirm which?

Or do I need to look at all 4 of them.. ?

Also what exactly is it i am looking for? broken wire? bare wire? bad connection? any Ideas please?

Reebmit
31st January 2011, 09:35
Hi James, mine was rear but I said front for you because you had just changed your front tyres and these were most likely to be the ones that the tyre fitters may have dislodged a sensor wire. They can rub on the wheel, so look for any signs of the outer rubber/plastic being worn from the cable and showing the wire within. This can then potentially short out on the inner rim of the wheel. My abs was a bit of a nightmare and more involved, after quite a bit of work I sorted it all and then on a test drive had almost identical problem you have had. I replaced the rear sensor and all was okay. Remember though there are 4 sensors, one on each wheel. A T4 would normally pin point which one. Hopefully you will get sorted today okay.:)

The Rover Man
31st January 2011, 10:37
Prior to changing my front tyres I was never aware that my car had ABS, I knew it did, but it never disclosed it's presence in any way.. :}

However, since I had the new front tyres fitted (UniRoyal rainfingies) my ABS kicks in whenever I brake more than gently even on perfectly dry roads with good grip??

Is this normal??? :shrug:

E.G. 20 mph, dry road, brake hard ish, ABS operates.. ?? It really is quite difficult to brake now without the ABS kicking in...

I had the same symptons as you a few months ago. My front left (nearside) sensor had rubbed on the wheel rim resulting in the ABS behaving like yours. Eventually it cut through and the light came on. If the faulty one is the front right (offside), your speedo will also be playing up.

You need to remove the wheel to see more clearly. The ABS cable has a rubber bung that pushes into a metal clip on the strut. As they get older, the rubber shrinks and the cable comes adrift, causing it to rub against the wheel. The solution to this problem is to fit a cable tie. Even if all looks ok, I would recommend fitting a cable tie to each front cable anyway.

If the cable is frayed, it can be repaired, but I decided to fit a new one. If you can't see any obvious damage, then plugging in to a T4 is the only way to find out. Good luck.

James.uk
2nd February 2011, 16:22
Well my mechanic had a quick look today, all sensors and connections seem OK, but he did say he had had a few cases of the toothed ring being cracked and causing the same symptoms.. :o

The cars booked in again next Thurs for a proper diagnostic investigation... uhh ohh.... :o :o

The Rover Man
2nd February 2011, 17:17
Well my mechanic had a quick look today, all sensors and connections seem OK, but he did say he had had a few cases of the toothed ring being cracked and causing the same symptoms.. :o

The cars booked in again next Thurs for a proper diagnostic investigation... uhh ohh.... :o :o

There isn't any toothed ring on 75's. The sender is built into the wheel bearings. It's usually a faulty sensor though. Ebay is the cheapest place to get them - they are about half the price there.

James.uk
2nd February 2011, 17:48
Thank you for that info Rover man.:). I had both front sensors replaced when I had new front wheel bearings fitted a few months ago.. :}

Since then I have had new disks, new pads, new tyres, and now new springs. So the odds are, as you say, that a wire has been damaged or moved. Fun innit! lol.... :o

The Rover Man
2nd February 2011, 17:52
Fun innit! lol.... :o

There's never a dull moment with a Rover!:D

Synchromesh
2nd February 2011, 18:04
When my wife's Nov 2000 75 was still in Rover warranty the idle suddenly went eratic. Rover dealer said ECU was in limp home mode because it had lost its speed input from the NS front ABS sensor. They fitted a new one under warranty and problem was solved. No ABS or idle problems for years then last week the ABS light stayed on and speedo stopped working. Changed OS front ABS sensor. ABS light now goes off when it should and speedo works.