PDA

View Full Version : Locking Wheel Nuts.

graham2230
29th January 2011, 19:08
Hi there,

Purchased another 75 but, it doesn't have the adaptor for the locking wheel nuts.

Tried hammering an extesion into the splines but to no avail. Any suggestions as to how to get them off.

Thanks,

Graham

8511swann
29th January 2011, 19:34
Coal chisel and a lump hammer. Cracked all 4 off on a Citroen last year with this method, after a garage wrecked the key with an air hammer.

sworks
29th January 2011, 19:36
are the splines badly damaged? the 'keys' are readily available

graham2230
29th January 2011, 19:40
Think it's getting to the chisel stage.

Three of the splines are ok so I've tried an extension in the fourth and it is damaged now.

How do I know what spline key I need though?

Graham

sworks
29th January 2011, 19:43
11 or 12, 12 being usually later MK1's. Cheap enough to buy both or borrow one of a local member?

graham2230
29th January 2011, 19:51
So there are only two different keys?

If that's the case I should be able to get one quite easily

Thanks

Graham

pianoman58
30th January 2011, 23:01
There are 20 types, not 2, Go and find a good independant or main bmw garage they should have a full set, choose the correct one then buy it from the local bmw dealer. the code number is inset in the end. They are about £7 new. Knock it in with a big hammer and socket and it'll straighten out the damaged splines

SMC Trading
30th January 2011, 23:08
There are 20 types, not 2, Go and find a good independant or main bmw garage they should have a full set, choose the correct one then buy it from the local bmw dealer. the code number is inset in the end. They are about £7 new. Knock it in with a big hammer and socket and it'll straighten out the damaged splines

No, there are 2 types, No.11 or No.12

Gate Keeper
30th January 2011, 23:21
I called the AA out and they removed a locking wheel nut for me as I had a puncture and needed to change the wheel over. My 'key' was lost. I gather the patrols all carry this useful tool. To cut a long story short, I replaced the locking nuts from another manufacturer. This story works if your in the AA. Sorry.

johnwh74
31st January 2011, 00:20
Think it's getting to the chisel stage.

Three of the splines are ok so I've tried an extension in the fourth and it is damaged now.

How do I know what spline key I need though?

Graham

Graham - i am sure there will be plenty of people at our meet with locking wheel nut keys :D

James.uk
31st January 2011, 00:53
Get rid of the lock nuts, they are more trouble than they are worth.. :shrug:

graham2230
31st January 2011, 12:15
Thanks everyone,

Still not sure now many there are lol.

I have resorted to violence on the damaged one and it is out now. The splines are too damaged to see any markings on and can't see any other numbers on the bolt. Before you ask the spline was damaged before I started..........

Got a couple of mates that have 75s so going to see them later and If I get them out I'll swap the full set for the ones on my other 75 ( that sound posh)

Thanks for your help guys.

Graham