PDA

View Full Version : V6 Diagnostics results for S750 LJW today.

Gate Keeper
29th January 2011, 19:58
I took the V6 for a drive this afternoon and noticed since having the exhaust changed a couple of days ago, that it sounded more 'throaty', similar to an old Brooklands and was noticeable in heavy traffic and on acceleration. Maybe it is the new bafflers. When I got home, I plugged in the diagnostics. I realise such readings are not gospel !

Freeze Frame: Engine running on idle @ 1042 RPM @ 0 mph

Calc load = 44.7%
Coolant = 136F
ST FTRM1 = 16.3%
LT FTRM1 = -7.8%
ST FTRM2 = 2.3%
LT FTRM2 = -3.9%
MAP (in.hg) = 15.9

Trouble Codes:

P1470 =Leakage diagnostic pump control circuit.

P1472 = Tank leakage (DM-TL) switching solenoid control circuit.

P0305= Cylinder 5 misfire detected. Fuel 1 SYS 1 and 2 CL, using HO2S.

P0108= MAP/BARO Circuit High Input.

P0330 =Knock sensor 2 Circuit malfunction

P0325 = Knock sensor 1 Circuit malfunction, Bank 1 or 1 sensor

Is it bad news? or should I erase the codes and try again tomorrow a.m or do something else? The V6 is due to go into see Corin next Thursday. It drives OK except as I said it is noisy, or is this typical of a 12 year old V6?

Thanks
Phil

stocktake
29th January 2011, 20:11
Tickover is way high.

Erase all codes and try again in a day or so :)

chrissyboy
29th January 2011, 21:03
write the codes down ,then delete them and drive the car for a few days to allow the ecm to study what is going on, then in a few days read the codes again and compare to the list to see if any of them have come back ,then check the componants that the returning codes relate to.

Gate Keeper
29th January 2011, 21:14
Thanks Dave and Chris for you well informed advice. I will print off the readings for a comparison. Clear out the codes tomorrow and carry on so that the ECU can learn what is going on and do another reading in a few days time. 'Tick over is way high' Mmmm I will have to listen out I guess :}

Thanks

Phil

RLeon
30th January 2011, 08:28
Trouble Codes:

P1470 =Leakage diagnostic pump control circuit.

P1472 = Tank leakage (DM-TL) switching solenoid control circuit.

P0305= Cylinder 5 misfire detected. Fuel 1 SYS 1 and 2 CL, using HO2S.

P0108= MAP/BARO Circuit High Input.

P0330 =Knock sensor 2 Circuit malfunction

P0325 = Knock sensor 1 Circuit malfunction, Bank 1 or 1 sensor

Is it bad news? or should I erase the codes and try again tomorrow a.m or do something else? The V6 is due to go into see Corin next Thursday. It drives OK except as I said it is noisy, or is this typical of a 12 year old V6?

Thanks
Phil

Hi Phil,

The trouble codes explanation P1470 and 1472 are not the ones from the KV6 engine CPU Siemens 2000 EMS. I have a Dutch "ROM" from Rover and the codes are from stuck VIS motors(Butterfly and Power), get a VIS tester to find out what is wrong with them. Ask Dave, he's the man for VIS motors.

stocktake
30th January 2011, 08:53
Hi Phil,

The trouble codes explanation P1470 and 1472 are not the ones from the KV6 engine CPU Siemens 2000 EMS. I have a Dutch "ROM" from Rover and the codes are from stuck VIS motors(Butterfly and Power), get a VIS tester to find out what is wrong with them. Ask Dave, he's the man for VIS motors.

Praise from Lord Tester himself :bowdown: :D

Phil, you will have a PM shortly ;)

Rabett_Rover
30th January 2011, 09:01
Do you have any idea how old the codes are? The reason I ask is that Corin couldn't get it to connect to T4 when he did the service and cambelt on it. Therefore the codes could go back sometime!

Gate Keeper
30th January 2011, 09:01
Thanks Leon, your right the codes are generic and for posting me in the direction of VIS, Butterfly and Power. As the V6 is going into Corin on Thursday, I will ask him if he has the time to do a session on it and to re-check the codes. I did not know Dave is the VIS Guru. Now we all know :D

Lovel
30th January 2011, 09:12
Tickover is way high.

136degF = 58degC. Engine and coolant is not hot enough the hence higher idle.

Gate Keeper
30th January 2011, 09:18
Thanks for reminding me Lewis. I remember now you did tell me when I picked up Ljay how Corin could not do a T4. I now have the use of two diagnostic machines and will have a 3rd and 4th by the end of next week. So I will take them with me to Corin and maybe that might help. Thanks Dave for your extra input here into the diagnostics. My mate has printed off the KV6 codes.

stocktake
30th January 2011, 09:20
Thanks Leon, your right the codes are generic and for posting me in the direction of VIS, Butterfly and Power. As the V6 is going into Corin on Thursday, I will ask him if he has the time to do a session on it and to re-check the codes. I did not know Dave is the VIS Guru. Now we all know :D

Oi, keep it quiet, Im busy enough :getmecoat:

Gate Keeper
30th January 2011, 09:40
Thanks Dave for your advice in the pm. Much appreciated.
I should add I had the engine flushed and the coolant replaced with the red stuff a few days ago. I did not know the engine and coolant is not hot enough @ 58C ..I think I had better get going and clear the codes and take 'her' for a spin and re-check again.

Thanks guys :bowdown:

Gate Keeper
30th January 2011, 20:22
I erased the codes and went for a good drive up the A1 and back and on return I did another scan. The only things which changed was that the coolant was up to 212 F and the idle RPM dropped to 745 at idle. The previous codes returned. I had tried to change the scanners setting to metric but it would not comply! I wonder if an ELM 327 works on the V6 1998. The scanner I an using came from Argos and is badged by RAC. Clearly not fully compliant and possibly misleading and a waste of money. Thanks for reading my posts. :}

stocktake
30th January 2011, 20:31
my ELM reads codes on my 1999 kv6, generic engine codes only though.

Gate Keeper
30th January 2011, 20:37
That is a big help Dave as it all helps. I will put an order in for one tonight. Cheers. I am still thinking about the VIS issue and will research it here. :}

Gate Keeper
30th January 2011, 21:34
Interesting and fascinating info about the VIS motors here.

Thanks Lewis for the extra Butterfly you gave me. I can see it's
relevance now, which I will keep for those 'just in case' moments.

Gate Keeper
31st January 2011, 16:48
I tried an Autel 509 scanner today and erased everything.
Ran the engine again and did another scan.
No trouble codes detected. Mmmmmmm

stocktake
31st January 2011, 18:00
I tried an Autel 509 scanner today and erased everything.
Ran the engine again and did another scan.
No trouble codes detected. Mmmmmmm

Ran engine or road tested? sometimes Vis faults will only show on a road test. somebody local with a VIS tester could confirm their operation :)

Gate Keeper
31st January 2011, 18:18
That is a point I missed. It was not a road test. I only ran the engine for 10 minutes from cold and then scanned. Lots of blue smoke came out the back when it started up but it was burned off after a few minutes - maybe that is normal. I will look up a local VIS tester. Thanks Dave.

chrissyboy
31st January 2011, 19:42
That is a point I missed. It was not a road test. I only ran the engine for 10 minutes from cold and then scanned. Lots of blue smoke came out the back when it started up but it was burned off after a few minutes - maybe that is normal. I will look up a local VIS tester. Thanks Dave.

you need to drive the car so the ecm can monitor the operation of all conponents . when driving the car will be under load and the ecm will be adjusting the fuel mixture to suit ... after a couple of days re read the car to see if any codes come up ,if some do check them with the ones you had before to see if you have any returning ones ,if you do have some returning codes then that component will need to be check as th ecm is clearly not happy with what it is seeing ..remember the code reading and clearing the codes is not a fix to a problem just a way of asking the car what is wrong,now you have the codes returning the diagnostic starts ... you need to look up all the voltage for the sensors to see if you are getting the right voltage ad signal and earths to each sensor .... ,how is the car driving by the way

Gate Keeper
1st February 2011, 10:54
Thanks Chris for your thoughts on this matter. The car is a pleasure to drive and I prefer it the cdti which has more features than the V6. The acceleration is brilliant and for kickdown it can hit 7000 RPM very quickly. But it is noisy and sounds like a V8 and must not complain too much. As Lewis pointed out to me recently, it is 12 year old new car, or was it the other way round :} I am still not sure if it is the VIS or not. As Dave has advised, I should try a local VIS tester and he is a star in my book. The downside is that the V6 is of course more thirsty, no matter how hard I try to drive it in an economical style.

I am looking for a remote fob as in one of the keys, the interior switch for the 'Open Door' button is missing from the printed circuit board. I tried Les at SMC but at this time of the year, they do not do the recycling of Key Fobs. I am going to to take the key into Maplins today and see if I can source the part and if I find it or similar, I will solder it back on. If that does not work, I will look elsewhere :} Thanks Chris for your thoughts....

stocktake
1st February 2011, 15:36
Reference remote switches:
They will be pennies at Maplins if you can find them, if not, they are here....

http://shop.ebay.co.uk/?_from=R40&_trksid=p5197.m570.l1313&_nkw=rover+remote+switches&_sacat=See-All-Categories

chrissyboy
1st February 2011, 17:01
sounds to me like the car is ok . the codes may of been old store ones that has been already said... the noise is proberly down to a slightly bigger after market back box so sounds deeper then the original...any problem you may have with the vis motors you are already in good hands there with stocktake ,personally i think all is well with the car.. now is the time to just enjoy the car

Gate Keeper
1st February 2011, 18:48
Thanks Dave for the link and I have put in an order for those switches. I am bidding for a VIS motor and if I get it, I will put it to one side until I am able to get mine tested and if it is wonky, will send it up to you for repairs, thank you very much! Thank again Chris for taking the time to look at noises and so on of the V6. I think I should just chill out, enjoy the car and learn a bit more.