PDA

View Full Version : Throttle body cleaning and reinstalling

ja3142
29th January 2011, 20:05
I've taken the throttle body off for a good clean, and to get inside the inlet manifold to clean it as well. I also have to replace a frayed throttle cable.

In the Haynes manual it gives instructions on how to refit the throttle body and the sequence for tightening the bolts with a torque wrench. Actually, I found it difficult to get a spanner onto the bolts to get the thing off so I don't see how I can get a torque wrench on them when I put it back.

As long as a tighten in sequence and don't go mad, do you think it matters? By the way, its the metal body not the plastic one.

HarryM1BYT
29th January 2011, 21:04
I doubt it makes a jot of difference, likely just Haynes covering their backs by quoting a standard figure for the size of fixing. If you are used to tightening nuts and bolts, just tighten until they feel matched and about the right torque.

kaiser
29th January 2011, 22:33
Just a quick word of warning, hopefully before it is too late.
Be extremely careful of the MAP sensor. It is extremely vulnerable and any use of compressed air can ruin it.
It is not cheap.

ja3142
30th January 2011, 05:14
Thanks for the warning, but I am going to take it out before spraying anything around.
What would be the symptoms of a malfunctioning TMAP anyway?

kaiser
30th January 2011, 05:29
Over fueling, lumpy running, black smoke, smell, you would be in no doubt something was wrong, but maybe doubtful as to what.

ja3142
30th January 2011, 05:38
Sounds conspicuous, thanks for that.
Yesterday was replace coil packs and dismantle throttle, today clean replace and install new throttle cable.

a weekend of tinkering...

then back to the boot leak..:shrug: