PDA

View Full Version : Possible Petrol Leak - Any Advice?

Parker
30th January 2011, 12:28
Filled the car to the brim yesterday first time since Christmas (new job so 10 miles per week now), drove about 2 miles and parked up at a relatives on a steep hill car pointing down the hill; was left there for about 90 mins and then drove home parked up on the flat.

When I parked on the hill I thought there was a smell of petrol but having just filled up not washed hands thought no more of it.

Went out to that car this morning for regular weekend checks and could still smell the petrol so investigated. There was a drip evident at the base of the petrol tank passenger side, some staining on the floor but no more that a large thimble full dripped since being parked up about 20 hours previous.

The seam around the petrol tank was wet with petrol.

Could not tell whether the top half of the tank was wet but suspect it is.

Dried off the tank side top and bottom and left for half hour

Further inspection 30 mins later all dry no drips

1 hour later and again evidence of petrol running down the tank and the underside.

Have cleared it off again and a 30 minute check just now all clear.

The under rear seat petrol pump did leak at one time when an orange clip was fitted but that was reseated by Lates during a service and since (as far as I am aware) not an issue

Could the total to brim fill and parking on a steep hill have caused fuel to leak and the small amount I have evidenced today is just a residue of what leaked:shrug:

There does not appear to be a leak on the seam of the tank

Or is there something more sinister lurking here :confused:

Any advice welcomed:)

Parker
31st January 2011, 18:11
29 views any thoughts?

Cymrudragon
31st January 2011, 19:04
possable over flow as it stoped now due to the level as droped if not could have a leak from the pipe to the tank i think it is is 2 pieces due to the shape .............. also there is a overflow pipe about 10" from filler cap a rubber pipe is fitted but dont know were the other end fittsif you need a hand phil pm me mate and ill pop down

chrissyboy
31st January 2011, 19:25
hi parker i once had this on an allegro, turned out i have over filled it and it was just draining

Parker
31st January 2011, 19:29
Thanks for info guys, I suspected overflow especially as I filled it to the brim then parked on a ridiculously steep hill. Nice to get another opinion though. Looked under the car today and there is staining of petrol on the side and underside of the petrol tank but no dripping fuel at all.

Thanks for the offer Andrew, will keep an eye on things and let you know but after today more relaxed about it now.