PDA

View Full Version : Clutch slave and heat bolts???

eddiemc05
30th January 2011, 14:58
Hi all ive had a dead clutch pedal for a few weeks so its been off the road, i beleive its the slave thats away is it seems more common for this to go first so im gona get stuck in maybe next wknd, i decided to top it up today to keep the system wet, its a backbreaker just to do that, any way i pulled out the robber condom thing and was cover in like black scum, it took only a 100ml os so and already ive got a good pedal and will now change gear, wonder how long i have?:) any ideas on the scum? Also can i tighten the head bolts without taking cams out, its been a long time since i oenend up a k series, its had an mls fitted in the past and i get a little oil patch now and again from around the headjoint tag area???:)

chris75
30th January 2011, 16:47
Taking it in order :

1. topping up the fluid will provide only a short term fix . It is leaking somewhere and will continue to .

2. the scum is wear particles from the rubber and plastic components in the cylinder

3. Tightening up the head bolts is problemmatical . They are not done to a final torque setting , but involve a 3 stage setting of 20 Nm , then 180 deg then a further 180 deg . So , starting from where you are , what would you tighten them to ? Perhaps 1/8 of a turn on each one , but you could end up distorting the head ! Your call , I'm afraid :(
However , this oil leak is more often due to the joint between the cam cover and the head which can be nipped up no problem . Take care as these are only little toy bolts and won't take much . Check the leak location again and good luck :}

WillyHeckaslike
30th January 2011, 17:12
When tightened to yield the bolts are as tight as they will go, turning them further will merely stretch them and possibly break them. :eek:

eddiemc05
30th January 2011, 20:23
Yeah chris sopose so, just have to hope it was tightened properly before, nipped cam cover up already but always seemed lower then head joint, not a huge issue yet, as for clutch just hope i get away with just a new slave,

eddiemc05
1st February 2011, 19:02
Hi all just had a look at the freelander slave and a 75 slave, both are identical apart from the pipes, it seems that the feed and bleed pipes on the fl are opposet to the 75, and the feed pipe is a different shape, is it just a case of swapping them around, or are my existing pipes compatable with the new unit, its a luk slave with part no. Ending50030, compared to sach ending 50010, has anyone got away with just bending the feed pipe to suit etc... Thanks friends:)

baughurst
1st February 2011, 19:32
Just my opinion but it makes no sense to replace the slave without putting a clutch in as well.

eddiemc05
1st February 2011, 19:38
I agree but just been coffing all week and theres no more money coming up:( at least il know how to take the box out again when it goes too,

WillyHeckaslike
2nd February 2011, 21:38
eddiemc05: Hi all, just had a look at the Freelander and 75 slave. Both are identical apart from the pipes, it seems that the feed and bleed pipes on the Freelander are opposite to the 75 and the feed pipe is a different shape. Is it just a case of swapping them around or are my existing pipes compatible with the new unit? It's a Luk slave with part no. ending 50030 compared to sach ending 50010. Has anyone got away with just bending the feed pipe to suit etc... Thanks friends:)[Looking from the bearing end I think the bleed pipe is normally on the right. If pairing a new slave with an old master I would want to bleed the system to purge it of any dirty/diluted fluid that may be present in the master. Also, in the event that a new slave should fail under warranty I would want to preserve the new pipes as best as possible to the supplied shape/condition to try to preclude any wriggle room to dismiss a warranty claim on a technicality.

So against that background I would probably swap the old pipes onto the new slave, unless the new pipes can be made to fit with only minor alteration. I would store the new pipes for at least the warranty period and refit if a claim needs to be made. That is what I would probably do but the decision is yours.

eddiemc05
3rd February 2011, 19:44
Good thinking willy, hopefully my pipes will fit the aftermarket slave, :)

kaiser
3rd February 2011, 19:50
On the other forum someone is selling a metal replacement set, which is supposed to be far superior to the original. I have seen a picture of the set and it really would be the way to go in my view, as the original system seems troublesome.

I am lucky we have automatics in both our cars.:D
I will try and find a link, if I can.

eddiemc05
4th February 2011, 21:45
[QUOTE=kaiser;665747]On the other forum someone is selling a metal replacement set, Can u link me to that or tell me were it us on the other site???:)