PDA

View Full Version : air filter

flyeruk
30th January 2011, 15:11
I have just checked my air filter. Can anybody tell me what the white fibre outer cover,around the filter, is all about? Never seen this befoe on any other car,surely this restricts the air flow?

suffolk boy
30th January 2011, 15:16
that is the filter

flyeruk
30th January 2011, 15:20
does that need to be on it?Just not seen this on other filters. Reason i ask is i work for a motor factors so see a lot of them.

suffolk boy
30th January 2011, 15:26
if we are talking about a round long white tube in the airbox i assumed this was the air filter itself.mines allways had one .i tend to think if its there its 4 a reason so have left well alone

chrissyboy
30th January 2011, 15:35
I have just checked my air filter. Can anybody tell me what the white fibre outer cover,around the filter, is all about? Never seen this befoe on any other car,surely this restricts the air flow?

any pics of it

flyeruk
30th January 2011, 15:38
same as this one. As i said before,just never seen this outer cover over the filter.

flyeruk
30th January 2011, 15:43
usually just like this one,or so i thought.:confused:

graham2230
30th January 2011, 15:49
Flyer,

The white one is the right one but remember to take the plastic off!

Graham

flyeruk
30th January 2011, 15:55
Hi graham,i realise the whit one is correct but why has it got the white tube around it,surely as i said before,this restricts the airflow,most filters i have seen have not had this tube around them.I know im going on a bit about this but just curious.

graham2230
30th January 2011, 18:02
Flyer,

No idea, must just be the level of filtration they need.

Maybe it doesn't need the flow rate that the smaller, square type filters need as the white ove has far more surface area.

Interesting fact for today, a filter becomes more efficient the dirtier it becomes.

Graham