PDA

View Full Version : rear bearing

48rov06
30th January 2011, 19:22
Done a service today found noise i thought was coming from winter tyres is the rear bearing .Slight play top to bottom and humming noise . Problem I have can't get part and fix until Sat. Will have to travel approx 250 miles in 25 mile trips during the week need the car for work any advice .re will the bearing last me the week or am I endanger of loosing wheel . Regards Alan:(

Martynp
30th January 2011, 19:56
Bearing are pretty robust things, my guess it could well last hundreds of miles yet. Purely as play you have is slight
but as wear between the bearing surface & bearings themselves deteriorates you will hear the noise get steadily worse, over time, until you will have to change it for that reason

Think our rear bearings come as a complete hub unit, hundreds on ebay----take your pick

Never seen just the bearing replacement, must be available, just need bearing make & number lol-----but you have to get it out first! If that way inclined

mh007
30th January 2011, 20:05
Complete hub only & here's a link to just the thing your looking for

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ROVER-75-MGZT-MG-ZT-REAR-NEW-WHEEL-HUB-BEARING-KIT-/300392083238?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item45f0c36f26

48rov06
30th January 2011, 20:11
Bearing are pretty robust things, my guess it could well last hundreds of miles yet. Purely as play you have is slight
but as wear between the bearing surface & bearings themselves deteriorates you will hear the noise get steadily worse, over time, until you will have to change it for that reason

Think our rear bearings come as a complete hub unit, hundreds on ebay----take your pick

Never seen just the bearing replacement, must be available, just need bearing make & number lol-----but you have to get it out first! If that way inclined Thanks for that bit of comfort decided to do front discs pads air and oil change first this weekend then found problem late no motor factors open so ordered one on ebay pity I did not start at rear might have been able to get one my luck raining next weekend :mad: Thanks Alan

Martynp
30th January 2011, 20:29
Thanks for that bit of comfort decided to do front discs pads air and oil change first this weekend then found problem late no motor factors open so ordered one on ebay pity I did not start at rear might have been able to get one my luck raining next weekend :mad: Thanks Alan

Buy a plastic sheet in case it rains & do the job in comfort under that!
Looks like less than an hours work by all accounts----;)
Happy days

48rov06
30th January 2011, 20:34
Buy a plastic sheet in case it rains & do the job in comfort under that!
Looks like less than an hours work by all accounts----;)
Happy days
Gone one better just roped my son to do it :} regards Alan

Jules
30th January 2011, 20:42
Bit late now but may help others!
We jack the car up by the ball joint nut, having first loosened it 3 turns.

Then let it down but stop the jack suddenly!
Usually works.
The Motto is KISS.........keep it simple

mh007
30th January 2011, 21:25
Hi Jules

Did you mean to post this in a different thread (possibly about bottom ball joints) ?

Jules
31st January 2011, 08:51
DOH yes silly me :o
Thanks for the headsup 007