PDA

View Full Version : P0170. Fault. Fuel trim 1. You've got to laugh.

Ratdogfink
30th January 2011, 21:59
Hi all
I had a P0140 code after the check engine light came on yesterday. Cat below threshold. Checked O2 sensor outputs and this code may not be cat on way out but also gets generated if both O2 sensors read close together!! The front O2 sensor was reading high all the time. Mainly above .45V, round .7V to .8V with slow switching. The rear O2 sensor also reading high and fluctuating. I found an old O2 sensor in the garage and thought I'd try that, symptoms changed but not corrected. This O2 sensor reading high, then low, then the voltage dropped. Checked the voltage with a DVM. Low after start up warm then drops to 0V. New code came up. P0170. Fuel bank 1 at 0%. I searched the web for the fault code and got this up.

http://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=52417

I wrote it last year, USING THE SAME LAMBDA SENSOR I USED when I got this fault. About the same week last year!!! What a moron.
You've got to laugh. I'm throwing both sensors away and replacing both on the car. I've even done a compression test 200lb 210lb 200lb 200lb.
I was like "errr P0140, I think I've got a lambda in the electrical draw some where, err, I'll try it. For some reason I think it might be U.S. It can't be any worse than what I've already got. Yes I'll use it". Bang P0170.
Still my other thread is a good read and explains what is wrong with my O2 sensor.
Do I believe myself and the last thread, yes of course I do, I've done it twice now with the same parts.
Now, am I now regarded by the pure and righteous as a knob head who uses the broken parts he should have throw away?
Vote now.

Ratdogfink
30th January 2011, 22:10
Also after voting, does anyone know where to get them? I can't seem to find O2 sensor for the 1.8T on Rimmers, anyone know the Xpart part number and how much they will be, can I get discount?
All this comes from using a universal one from the bay!!!!

goldievvc
30th January 2011, 22:15
i have a couple of cars breaking mate, you can have them for the cost of posting if it helps you :)

what i would say though, are you using any coolant? inlet manifold leaking at cylinder 4 is prime candidate for flagging faults like this.

Ratdogfink
30th January 2011, 22:32
Thanks but I'll try to get new ones tomorrow. Thanks very much for the offer. I changed the inlet manifold gasket just before Christmas in my "week of finding leaks" to the new uprated one. This did cure a bad leak. It's probably what sent the old lambda to the back of the elecrical draw and brought out the new (old) one.
Many thanks for that.