PDA

View Full Version : Power Steering

mcspider
31st January 2011, 15:08
Hi could someone please tell me the correct fluid level for the power steering. When you remove the cap theres a plastic pipe attatched to it, is that the level gauge if so how do you read it. Plus is there a certain type or make of fluid you need to use cheers for any help Mark

Poppy
31st January 2011, 15:24
Hi could someone please tell me the correct fluid level for the power steering. When you remove the cap theres a plastic pipe attatched to it, is that the level gauge if so how do you read it. Plus is there a certain type or make of fluid you need to use cheers for any help Mark

Eeeeeeeek...Flippin' hope so cos i filled mine up tp about an inch from the top because i thought it was nearly empty...:eek::eek::driving: Poppy

Garden
31st January 2011, 18:00
Hi Mark'
As for as I am aware the ridges on the pipe indicate the fill level the top one bing the max. I think it should be checked when the engine is warm.
I am sure some of our more learned members will be around to correct me if I am wrong.
I also need to ask. Will automatic transmission fluid will do the job? or doe's it have to be a certain type of power steering fluid? as mine also needs to be topped up.
Sorry for hijacking but it's relevent to the post.

Gary.

chrissyboy
31st January 2011, 19:17
Eeeeeeeek...Flippin' hope so cos i filled mine up tp about an inch from the top because i thought it was nearly empty...:eek::eek::driving: Poppy

i hope you bleed it as it was so low ... bleed it by runnng engine and turning full lock each side 5 times,with the cap of

Poppy
31st January 2011, 19:19
i hope you bleed it as it was so low ... bleed it by runnng engine and turning full lock each side 5 times,with the cap of

Errrrrrrrrrrr No.....Didn't know i had to...:getmecoat: Just filled it up.... seems to be okay.?:o eeeeeeek.:confused: Poppy

Garden
31st January 2011, 21:38
Will automatic transmission fluid will do the job? or doe's it have to be a certain type of power steering fluid?

Any help on this?
Would like to know as mine is low and could do without paying the premium for power steering fluid if it's not needed.

chrissyboy
31st January 2011, 22:16
Will automatic transmission fluid will do the job? or doe's it have to be a certain type of power steering fluid?

Any help on this?
Would like to know as mine is low and could do without paying the premium for power steering fluid if it's not needed.

according to my tolerance data the fluid is dexron 111 for the power steering

SD1too
1st February 2011, 07:16
When you remove the cap there's a plastic pipe attatched to it, is that the level gauge if so how do you read it?
There are two lines on the reservoir cap dipstick; the lower is when the fluid is cold and the upper when hot. As Chris says automatic transmission fluid to Dexron III spec. is recommended.

Simon.

COLVERT
1st February 2011, 09:56
You should also ask yourself the question, "where did the fluid go to as it's down so low ??" Doesn't evaporate !!

Colv.

COLVERT
1st February 2011, 10:03
Errrrrrrrrrrr No.....Didn't know i had to...:getmecoat: Just filled it up.... seems to be okay.?:o eeeeeeek.:confused: Poppy
The plastic pipe from the cap is a dipstick.:} Fill to the top mark as maximum, when COLD.;) The space above is for a slight expansion when hot. :D

Colv. :p::p::p:

PS. Wheels must be pointing straight ahead on topping up.
So POPS, syphon some out !!!!!

sumpy 130
1st February 2011, 10:18
:smilie_re: What he said!The plastic pipe from the cap is a dipstick.:} Fill to the top mark as maximum, when COLD.;) The space above is for a slight expansion when hot. :D

Colv. :p::p::p:

PS. Wheels must be pointing straight ahead on topping up.
So POPS, syphon some out !!!!!