PDA

View Full Version : Tapping sound like somethings loose

Richiemd
31st January 2011, 17:13
Hi all, i have a very annoying (worrying) tapping noise like somethings loose or wearing out, you can hear it straight away when the car is started, i cant hear it so much with my head under the bonnet ,but when in the car im drawn to the passenger side footwell ,this is where i can hear it the most !
Any ideas
Im tempted to jack the front up tomorrow start it and get underneath and listen for it.
Any ideas greatly appreciated.

kiowa
31st January 2011, 17:30
It could be one of these trying to escape

Richiemd
31st January 2011, 18:08
Emmm, I do like a sence of humour
Any serious thoughts on this ?

chrissyboy
31st January 2011, 19:14
maybe a hydrylic tappet not being lubicated ...

Parker
31st January 2011, 19:47
Is it a definite tapping or could it be a flapping sound? The air direction vents behind the dash are known to flap at times but generally settle down.

Dave Goody
31st January 2011, 19:58
Purge valve thingy? T cut will be along soon to explain Dave

chrissyboy
31st January 2011, 20:50
Purge valve thingy? T cut will be along soon to explain Dave

good call it may well be that as they can be quite loud and settle down a bit .to the op ... as you stand in front of the car ,on your right hand side you will see a small pot like looking thing , you will see the 2 small water pipes for the matrix go through the bulk head and the pot is to the right of those ..

Richiemd
31st January 2011, 20:51
Thanks all more info the better,keep it coming please.

Richiemd
7th February 2011, 08:02
Getting worse now but i still cant locate it , it now sounds more like a rattle ,from inside the car it seems to come from somewhere under or around the passenger footwell.
Driving me mad now !!
Any more ideas as what to check
Thanks Richie.
The car In general is louder now could this be part of the exhaust rattling somewhere near the footwell at the front, the rattle is not quite so bad when the engine has been running for half an hour.
Although saying this with the car jacked up and me under it I still can't locate it.

Dave Goody
7th February 2011, 09:25
I have recently hit a big pothole knocking an exhaust heat shield loose which rattled during acceleration, now repaired, if a rattle more than a tapping check this Dave

Richiemd
7th February 2011, 09:41
Thanks Dave just been out and checked them and there all secure.
The mystery continues.

Richiemd
7th February 2011, 11:51
I've just been under the car again the noise is quite strong as if its coming from the manifold just before it fits to the exhaust.

Dave Goody
7th February 2011, 11:55
I've just been under the car again the noise is quite strong as if its coming from the manifold just before it fits to the exhaust.

Its not the Cat broken up inside? I had a rattle from that prior to replacing Dave

Richiemd
7th February 2011, 12:01
That was my theory but it seems to be loudest from the manifold.

T-Cut
7th February 2011, 16:30
It doesn't seem to be STS (Slack Tappet Syndrome). Could it be VIS rattle?
The V6 catalyst elements were well know for coming adrift in the casing. This certainly creates a rattle.

TC

Richiemd
7th February 2011, 17:27
Anyone with a bit of knowledge in the Oxfordshire or surrounding area willing to have a look ,since being made redundant there's no way I can pay a garage
Obviously I would come to you .
Thanks Rich.
I'm at a loss.

Richiemd
8th February 2011, 19:38
Anyone that can help I can travel to you ? The car sounds so rough when cold I'm worried about it.

Richiemd
11th February 2011, 08:23
The noise doesn't get faster when exelarating ,don't no if this is a clue as to what it is.