PDA

View Full Version : Are these Genuine OEM track rods

skygates
1st February 2011, 15:24
They arrived today. Sold to me as genuine Rover MG parts QJB100180 & QJB100190.

There is no tie/clip on the upper gator boot and they are marked TRW, (which seem a good brand) but are they genuine and OEM?

t_i_m
1st February 2011, 18:48
Yes they are but they are but I am guessing you bought from best_of_british_rover on ebay as I did a few months ago. Obviously they are old stock but new ones would have a plastic cover to protect the rubber boot and new nylock nuts (which are M10 fine by the way). They should have a 'spring clip' at the top of the boot, funnily enough only one of mine came with one and they sent me another to fit myself (which was awkward to say the least). I was disappointed they were advertised as new even though they were a good price compared to say rimmers, decent pair of a pattern parts may have been a better bet.

t_i_m
1st February 2011, 19:01
Here is how they should come with a protective plastic cover loosly held by the new nut. However this is more expensive than the pair I bought:
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Rover-75-MGZT-1-8-2-0-2-5-V6-CDt-Left-Track-Tie-Rod-End-/360223520620?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item53defeb76c

best_of_british_rover have had some bad press on here, as well as some good I might add.

P.S. You can get 1.0 and 1.25 pitch thread in M10 'fine' I think it is the 1.25mm pitch .

skygates
1st February 2011, 21:56
yes from best of british rover,

I have also noticed there is a small split hole (1mm) in one of the gators

and one seems a lot older than the other with older rubber (with the hole).

not sure what to do, I presume the gator ties at the top are essential for long term.

I sought out these rather than copies but I am not sure I have a fair deal.

On the other hand the if they are OEM the quality of the steel and the machining and tolerance of the ball & joint and the taper should be very good and much better than a cheaper copy. From a google session TRW do seem to be very high quality.

T-Cut
1st February 2011, 23:17
I have also noticed there is a small split hole (1mm) in one of the gaiters

That's not acceptable and should not be fitted. I suggest you tell the supplier what you've found and ask them to send a fully functional part. They should not charge you for return of the faulty item.

TC

t_i_m
2nd February 2011, 07:19
That's not acceptable and should not be fitted. I suggest you tell the supplier what you've found and ask them to send a fully functional part. They should not charge you for return of the faulty item.

TC

I agree with TC, there is no question about it if the boot is split. What about these as an alternative:
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ROVER-75-TRACK-TIE-ROD-ENDS-LH-AND-RH-SIDE-O-E-DEPLHI-/320645445458?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item4aa7f53752

skygates
4th February 2011, 18:02
They sent another pair out.

This time with clips on the upper gaitor.

However the RH boot has a near identical split. About 1mm not easy to see unless you take your time but squeeze the boot down and the grease starts to squirt out.

They don't seem to want to send me a third pair but offered a full refund inc my postage. So true to their word.

I really wanted a genuine set and it does seem TRW is oem:shrug:

SD1too
4th February 2011, 18:53
They ... offered a full refund inc my postage.
I really wanted a genuine set and it does seem TRW is OEM
Accept the refund. TRW parts are easily obtainable from motor factors.

Simon.