PDA

View Full Version : oil catch tank valves??

g-mac
1st February 2011, 18:02
just received this

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=220730757772&ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT

what goes on the third valve at the bottom? had a wee look through here any everyones tank seems to only have two valves?

BIG LEK
1st February 2011, 18:06
I have just bought mine from ebay it has two, i was looking at this one and i thought may-be the third one was a draining point with it been so low down, cheers-Lee

g-mac
1st February 2011, 18:35
it would be ideal as a draining point if it shut off but its open, knew i should have the extra fiver for the two valve ones!

BIG LEK
1st February 2011, 18:44
just blank off a piece of pipe and it will do the same job as one with two,

Mike V
15th February 2011, 14:05
Ive bought the same one as you Gmac. I was planning on blanking the 3rd inlet off with a cap or blank pipe.

Where did you get the pipe from? Halfords?

Are you fitting it to the bigger pipe (before throttle body) or the smaller (after throttle body)?

BIG LEK
15th February 2011, 14:45
Ive bought the same one as you Gmac. I was planning on blanking the 3rd inlet off with a cap or blank pipe.

Where did you get the pipe from? Halfords?

Are you fitting it to the bigger pipe (before throttle body) or the smaller (after throttle body)?That's all i would do just blank it off,and after much talk on the topic of which pipe to go for the choice is smaller pipe if you do alot of around town driving and the larger one if you do motorway driving etc,but i was talking to another member who had the same problem as me oil from the throttle body back to the air box he said he went with the larger pipes its now bone dry,

g-mac
15th February 2011, 18:15
yea small pipe it is, i had extra fuel pipes lying around to connect them up, bit of a tight squeeze behind the throttle body for the tank so im going to replace the airbox weith a knn set-up and place it on front of the battery box

Mike V
17th February 2011, 18:13
I will be going for the larger pipes as I have been doing checks on the 'elbow' piece of pipe just before the throttle body and it fills up with oil a lot.

I just received my inlet today. I had a quick look at it. I think the 3rd inlet can be unscrewed and a m10 or similar sized bolt can be threaded through it.

Il let you know how I get on.

Mike V
17th February 2011, 18:32
Could you post a pic of how yours is mounted g-man?

Ive just had a look and it certainly is a tight squeeze behind the throttle body. Did you use your own mounting plate or the one supplied?

BIG LEK
17th February 2011, 18:40
If everythings standard under your bonnet off the side of the battery box near the back seems to be the place people put them with the little bracket you get with it

rrobson
17th February 2011, 18:50
before fitting, i would seriously suggest fitting the tank like this if there is room:

http://i922.photobucket.com/albums/ad69/rr5215/catchtank.jpg

this will work much more effectively as the air has to be dragged through the entire length of the tank, and therefore through all the stainless steel filters or pads. the standard configuration is ok, but only uses to top half of the tank, leaving the bottom to fill up. in this way, the bottom is still there to contain liquid, but the eficiency of the tank is massively increased

Mike V
17th February 2011, 20:06
If everythings standard under your bonnet off the side of the battery box near the back seems to be the place people put them with the little bracket you get with it

Thats what I have seen on the forums. I guess thats this weekends job sorted!

Robson, I certainly see where your coming from with that idea of making the oil catch more efficient. Would be quite the task to mount it horizontally though.

carl
17th February 2011, 20:16
before fitting, i would seriously suggest fitting the tank like this if there is room:

http://i922.photobucket.com/albums/ad69/rr5215/catchtank.jpg

this will work much more effectively as the air has to be dragged through the entire length of the tank, and therefore through all the stainless steel filters or pads. the standard configuration is ok, but only uses to top half of the tank, leaving the bottom to fill up. in this way, the bottom is still there to contain liquid, but the eficiency of the tank is massively increased

Thats not right - you dont drag air through the tank , its upright a the pipes connect to the top and the oil falls to the bottom the lower pipe is blocked off

How it is in the picture youll have a lot less capacity before oil is sucked up the pipes

stocktake
17th February 2011, 20:24
Don't just blank the lower pipe off, put a tap on it and a drain pipe, saves having to remove the tank to empty it ;)

Mike V
17th February 2011, 20:33
Don't just blank the lower pipe off, put a tap on it and a drain pipe, saves having to remove the tank to empty it ;)

I dont mind removing it to empty it. Gives me a good chance to clean it out. ;)

BIG LEK
17th February 2011, 20:49
I was advised to put some wire wool in or them stainless steel scourer pads the round ones with out the soap on them just drop two of those in instead

rrobson
17th February 2011, 21:19
How it is in the picture youll have a lot less capacity before oil is sucked up the pipes

yes, im well aware of that, but for it to work more efficiently, this is the best way to mount it. not forgeting there are two pipe fittings together, so the other one could be used as a drain...

BigRuss
17th February 2011, 22:32
Just a point here, there are oil seperator guazes in the rocker covers, thing is as they aren't a service item nobody changes them (they only cost a couple of quid each).
They do clog and have even been known to disintegrate, replacing those could possibly remove the need for catch tanks. ;)

Item 14:

http://www.rimmerbros.co.uk/Item--i-GRID001711

Russ

carl
18th February 2011, 07:43
there on back order Russ so doubt well ever see them again

BigRuss
18th February 2011, 12:01
I think they'll be back, the Landy chaps will be upset if they don't ;)

Kia IIRC use the KV6 they may still be available from them.

Russ