PDA

View Full Version : Smell of burnt diesel

peelaaa
2nd February 2011, 21:09
Recently when starting engine hot or cold, I have noticed the smell of burnt diesel. It is as if the fumes are entering car although none can be seen, I have a synergy2 set to 8, could it be that, also

could it be caused by the EGR being dirty, I have never cleaned it:confused:

Number 6
2nd February 2011, 21:43
Recently when starting engine hot or cold, I have noticed the smell of burnt diesel. It is as if the fumes are entering car although none can be seen, I have a synergy2 set to 8, could it be that, also

could it be the FBH if you have one fitted????

Jules
3rd February 2011, 00:12
Start with the obvious.
Thoroughly check in the engine bay for fuel leaks.

Mike Noc
3rd February 2011, 08:24

I had a weeping leak from the pipe connection to one of the injectors once. At first thought it was coming from the leak back pipes. Very slight and found it by drying everything off and wrapping tissue around all the connections. The leaking one was tight but not tight enough.

Just left a bit of diesel around the top of the cylinder head - hopefully might have prevented the injectors seizing in place but have yet to take them out.

Mike

peelaaa
3rd February 2011, 11:59
It is the smell of burnt diesel only when engine is running, there are no leaks as far as I can see.

I did not notice the smell today and read a few other earlier threads about the smell coming from the short exhaust tailpipe entering the cabin.
The tailpipe stops before the rear bumper so it may be entering cabin when firing up the car.
The end of the tailpipe is quite corroded and seems to have lost some of the bent part that aims towards the ground.