PDA

View Full Version : Judder and very sharp bite point on new clutch - normal?

r44flyer
2nd February 2011, 21:48
More worries from me and my CDTi, I'm afraid.

Had the clutch replaced a few days ago, along with the slave, and I've no idea if its performance is normal for a new clutch. The pedal is definitely lighter, but the bite point is very sharp, making it difficult to drive, particularly when pulling away. There's little travel between clutch in and *bang*, it's out! It judders a little when it engages as well, even between first and second.

Is this normal? Will it bed in?

Out of interest, I checked the master cylinder for leaks and their are none.

chris_h
2nd February 2011, 23:22
The same thing happened when I had my clutch changed, it took a few week to bed in. It is fine now.

Devilish
2nd February 2011, 23:40
A new clutch should operate like a new clutch, what exactly did they fit (manufacturer), as you have not said my guess is your are unsure, or unsure if they fitted what they said they fitted. I have never heard of anyone buying a new car that the clutch judders and bites like a Reliant Regal for a week or two.
There are several esteemed members here who have fitted many a clutch, never heard a member say they had a Reliant Regal type clutch when it was done.

Jules
2nd February 2011, 23:57
Some outlets fit a solid flywheel instead of the Dual Mass, and don't inform the owner.(Hope not in your case)
Naughty in my view but it happens.

Also check no splits in the lower engine mount (teardrop)
These should be changed with the clutch in my opinion.

r44flyer
3rd February 2011, 08:20
I don't know if it has a solid flywheel, previous owner stated it was dual mass and was inspected last time the slave was replaced (but not, bizarrely, the friction plate at the same time).

New parts are LUK, fitted by A1 Clutches in Tipton on recommendation from this forum.

I'm happy to wait and see if it smooths out before getting more concerned.

WillyHeckaslike
3rd February 2011, 12:04
If need be you could also consider this: Click (http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Rover-75-MG-ZT-Clutch-Damper-STOPS-CLUTCH-JUDDER-R7-/200569556718?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item2eb2e08eee) The seller is on this site (SMC) so PM him if you find that you are interested.

Number 6
3rd February 2011, 20:35
As Devilsh says,you should not have a judder on a new clutch it should be silky smooth,when you buy a new car the clutch dosent have to "bed" in.I would be inclined to return it to A1 as it is possible that it may have been fitted with a faulty part:shrug:
The only other possability is if they have got some grease or oil on the flywheel/driven plate,as this could cause a problem

r44flyer
3rd February 2011, 21:12
As Devilsh says,you should not have a judder on a new clutch it should be silky smooth,when you buy a new car the clutch dosent have to "bed" in.I would be inclined to return it to A1 as it is possible that it may have been fitted with a faulty part:shrug:
The only other possability is if they have got some grease or oil on the flywheel/driven plate,as this could cause a problem

I may have to return it. I'm loathed to do so as it's probably the worst place I've ever had to drive to/from with regards to traffic. It's about 12 miles away and the round trip was 2.5 hours! :( Had I known that side of town was that much of a ballache I'd have chosen somewhere else. It was the recommendation that took me there, and now I'm less than happy with the job. :mad:

Martynp
3rd February 2011, 21:50
I may have to return it. I'm loathed to do so as it's probably the worst place I've ever had to drive to/from with regards to traffic. It's about 12 miles away and the round trip was 2.5 hours! :( Had I known that side of town was that much of a ballache I'd have chosen somewhere else. It was the recommendation that took me there, and now I'm less than happy with the job. :mad:

In view of above comment, try slipping the clutch on your driveway,hopeing to bed it in?
Don't much like the sound of your symptoms though-----
Good luck:shrug:

Dave***t
4th February 2011, 06:07
Without going into great detail, on my old manual ZT, I had a clutch replaced, which after a short time, failed again - I then had a nightmare trying to avoid having to pay out for the same job again.

Bottom line - the first replacement had issues which I was told would go away with a bit of use. They sort of did go away - the thing completely failed after a few weeks!

The second replacement had no issues and drove normally from day one.

sailorhms
4th February 2011, 07:47
When I got my clutch changed just a little over a year ago, they told me thet DM flywheel face had a little pitting on it, caused by wear or corrosion I suppose, this would produce a little juddering at times when pulling off on hills.
Perhaps if the juddering on your car is much more than 'a little' then maybe the DM should have been replaced as well.
Sometimes when one drives a new car or indeed one with a new clutch, it takes a while to get used to the new action.

chris_h
4th February 2011, 10:55
If you replace the DMF and clutch it will drive drive like a new car ie no bedding in required. Otherwise you will have a new clutch plate acting on a already worn DMF surface, so it will need some bedding in, depending on the surface state of the DMF. You can choose to replace the DMF when you change the clutch and that way you always start with 2 smooth surfaces - but that will add 500 ponds to the bill.

Number 6
4th February 2011, 11:04
If you replace the DMF and clutch it will drive drive like a new car ie no bedding in required. Otherwise you will have a new clutch plate acting on a already worn DMF surface, so it will need some bedding in, depending on the surface state of the DMF. You can choose to replace the DMF when you change the clutch and that way you always start with 2 smooth surfaces - but that will add 500 ponds to the bill.

In all the clutches that I have replaced over the years I have never had problem of a new driven plate mateing up to a fly wheel and causing a judder or sharp pull off:shrug:But I suppose there could be a first time.However I would still tend to report/go back to A1 and register the problem with them just incase it continues.