PDA

View Full Version : Juddering windscreen wipers

Robbie Sadr
3rd February 2011, 22:38
I have a Rover 75 2.5 V6 Tourer and have a problem with the windscreen wipers juddering so badly that it is difficult to speak inside the car. I am on my third set of wipers in six months, I use only Bosch wipers, I have cleaned the screen with meths, solvents and other soaps and cleaners to no avail - any ideas ...Robbie Sadr :mad:

Dragrad
3rd February 2011, 22:41
Standard or aero type wiper blades?

A good rub down with a Newspaper after washing seems to do the trick ;)

Kai Herb
4th February 2011, 05:22
If you can get down to Halfords pop in and get a bottle of their Glass Cutter Polish as it will remove any rubbish that has built up on the screen.

http://www.halfords.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product_storeId_10001_catalogId_10151_productId_21 9650_langId_-1_categoryId_229902

Another thought....are the wiper arms secure on the wiper motor spindles ?

Fluffle-Valve
4th February 2011, 10:32
I think I'll be popping into Halfords also...:)

Number 6
4th February 2011, 10:41
I have a Rover 75 2.5 V6 Tourer and have a problem with the windscreen wipers juddering so badly that it is difficult to speak inside the car. I am on my third set of wipers in six months, I use only Bosch wipers, I have cleaned the screen with meths, solvents and other soaps and cleaners to no avail - any ideas ...Robbie Sadr :mad:

In the past when I have had this problem,I have found if I twist the wiper arm slightly(This is along the length) it alieviates the problem.Which way you twist it depends on which sweep the judder happens on.A little tial and error:shrug:And you only need a small adustment

v-man
4th February 2011, 10:46
May be worth cleaning the blades with a little malt vinegar.

Banjo
4th February 2011, 11:07
I had this problem when I first got my ZT - I changed the traditional metal framed wipers to the new soft type wipers (are these called 'aero' ? ) and I have had no further issues.

Robbie Sadr
5th February 2011, 12:37
Thanks to everyone that responded. I have tried most of the tricks such as twisting the arms, vinegar on the blades etc. I shall try the Glass Cutter Polish and see if that solves the problem. Last resort will be the aero blades, assuming they are available from Halfords.
Thanks again for the support.....Robbie Sadr

Fluffle-Valve
5th February 2011, 13:15
Thanks to everyone that responded. I have tried most of the tricks such as twisting the arms, vinegar on the blades etc. I shall try the Glass Cutter Polish and see if that solves the problem. Last resort will be the aero blades, assuming they are available from Halfords.
Do please let us know if this cures it or not?
I have the same problem..:(

v-man
5th February 2011, 13:45

Blades will expensive from Halfrauds me thinks.

I hear that Tesco sometimes have them at £6, just need to change the mounting system on them around as designed for LHD cars. Sure if you google you'll find what needs to be done.

If you want Bosch then try wiperblades.co.uk, should be cheaper than Halfrauds.

T-Cut
5th February 2011, 14:47
When blades judder, it's because they aren't 'flipping' at the end of one particular stroke, so the go back across the screen with the wiping edge leading rather than trailing. This causes the judder. It's usually due to hardening of the rubber though the carrier arm has to be exactly right as well. Twisting the arm may fix it temporarily, but in my experience, new blades are the only fix. I don't believe treating the screen with anything will fix a rigid blade.

TC

barann
6th February 2011, 09:04
Ive found that you can get aero wiper blades on e bay for as little as £8 a pair with the correct fitting for the 75

kaiser
6th February 2011, 16:06
Agree with T-cut and also the advice of twisting the arm. However the simple advice is get new rubbers, or even better silicone rubber.

COLVERT
6th February 2011, 20:32
Nobody has mentioned the spring on the arm itself. Is it possible for these to get weak and not apply enough pressure, to the blade, onto the screen ?? :shrug:

Colvert.

Robbie Sadr
11th February 2011, 13:49
Do please let us know if this cures it or not?
I have the same problem..:(
Having tried every suggestion made in the forum, unfortunately nothing seems to have worked. I went to my local service/repair people who used to be a main dealer and they told me that twisting the arm slightly(as recommneded in the forum) had always done the trick for them. They tried for about an hour (didn't charge) and admitted defeat even using brand new blades out of a box. It ended up with the suggestion that a set of aero blades was a last resort but this will mean the fourth set of blades since July last year .....I didn't think such an seemingly simple issue could be so difficult to solve. The noise the blade makes is excruciating as the screen dries and only just bearable when it's wet .....aagghh...

James.uk
11th February 2011, 16:55
I have Bosch flat blades on, and they are perfik innit.. :D :D :D

Dave Goody
11th February 2011, 17:24
I have had a pair from Aldi on, £3-50 a pair for 3 years and perfect:D

denis
11th February 2011, 19:38
I had the judder from a set of Lidl blades. I unclipped the rubbers - turned them in the frame and not a murmur since - and I still don't know why!!!:confused:

iga
12th February 2011, 00:39
Blades will expensive from Halfrauds me thinks.

I hear that Tesco sometimes have them at £6, just need to change the mounting system on them around as designed for LHD cars. Sure if you google you'll find what needs to be done.

If you want Bosch then try wiperblades.co.uk, should be cheaper than Halfrauds.

Don't touch the Tesco blades, say they fit 75s on the pack, they don't. Would second wiperblades.co.uk, got a set of their flat blades on at the moment. However, as someone else suggested I'd check the fit of the wiper arm on the spindle first.

Dave Goody
12th February 2011, 13:54
Don't touch the Tesco blades, say they fit 75s on the pack, they don't. Would second wiperblades.co.uk, got a set of their flat blades on at the moment. However, as someone else suggested I'd check the fit of the wiper arm on the spindle first.

Well lots of members have them fitted as said before there is a procedure to fit the aerofoil the right way but many members didnt realise and had no problems anyway:}

drewbie
12th February 2011, 16:02
Try treating the screen with Rain X, worked for me but you do have to reapply occasionally.